• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    And gets crowded with deer season looming. Dont mind the heat myself or maybe i dislike the heat less than i dislike to crowds.

$1.66?
    Anyone know a cheap lawyer??

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Myrtle Grove is part of the Maryland State Park Wildlife Management Area, Its been around longer then any MD shooters been alive, 800 acres, purchased May 25, 1929 from Hunter's License Fund, for the purpose of propagating game, still one of the less supported one. The idea of a covered shooting area has been requested for over 10 years, two years a go over $20,000 dollars was allotted build covers over the shooting stands and upgrade the area. Still hasn't happen, I hope this is the year it does.

They are not looking to make a profit, 8 stations with access to use $5 a day/$20 a year, open give or take 50+ hours a week, 45-50 weeks a year. If it was only half the stations were used half the hours it open, by daily $5 shooters they might make $12k-$15K year. That would not pay the salary of the DAN the ranger. It might pay for the 8 target stands they have to make ever week. I would gladly pay $5/$20 a year to shoot Mil-Surp ammo 5-8 times a year what a deal! :thumbsup:

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    MG is a heck of a bargain. I use it on quiet days M-F to familiarize some of my students with firearms. I have a yearly permit, and all of my students do a daily permit. Best part is that most of them like the experience so much, they end up getting a yearly permit. Sorry for bringing more people to MG, but we are after all, trying to introduce more people to the sport of shooting!

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Perhaps we should be hammering DNR to construct more public ranges? There are Federal funds available. Maybe a coordinated push and/or a sympathetic pol?
    Last proposal to build another that I am aware of was in the '80s.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Perhaps we should be hammering DNR to construct more public ranges? There are Federal funds available. Maybe a coordinated push and/or a sympathetic pol?
    Last proposal to build another that I am aware of was in the '80s.

It would be great to have more ranges in the People's Republic of Maryland. I just don't see it happening. Also last time I had a 1 on 1 conversation with Dan(range officer) at the grove he told me that the state has been looking for years for a reason to shut down the range.

smokeeater09

Apr 22, 2016
    Charles County, Md
    I know MG is shut down for rehab until end of August. Any updates? I may ride down Monday to take a look. If I see any progress, I'll post some pics.

Every Sunday for the last three weeks I've been dropping in to check on any progress (or more correctly I should probably say, lack of) . Most of the old baffles are gone and there has been some minor grading done on the rear berm, but other than that...nothing at all for the past three weeks. If they expect to reopen it two weeks they're going to have to hustle.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Every Sunday for the last three weeks I've been dropping in to check on any progress (or more correctly I should probably say, lack of) . Most of the old baffles are gone and there has been some minor grading done on the rear berm, but other than that...nothing at all for the past three weeks. If they expect to reopen it two weeks they're going to have to hustle.

If I remember correctly which I may not.(I'm old or at least feel that way). About 10 years ago or so they closed the range for the same reason. It was down for about 6 months that time. I expect the same this time.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    If I remember correctly which I may not.(I'm old or at least feel that way). About 10 years ago or so they closed the range for the same reason. It was down for about 6 months that time. I expect the same this time.

I think it was longer then 6 months lets hope not. I can remember late 70s 0r 80s I didn't think it was ever going to re open. If I remember correctly total face lift even the pond was drained

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    If it isn't close to being done on time, then we need to start putting pressure on them send emsils and calls. Maybe get governor involved

Slurms

Jun 8, 2016
    Charles County
    I moved to Maryland earlier this year, went through all the hoops to get my HQL, got myself my first handgun last week -- a nice shiny new Glock 19 -- and then I discovered Myrtle Grove is closed temporarily :(

I guess if MG doesn't reopen on schedule, I'm going to have to take a road trip somewhere. I gotta test this thing out!

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Living in southern MD sucks cause theres not a whole lot of outdoor ranges to go to and MG is closed. Any other nice outdoor ranges in southern MD willing to drive about 2 hours but thats pushing it too?

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Fred's sports is not an outdoor range I did receive an email stating the range reopened last Sunday retail is still closed due to the fire just saw the new building its up and under roof but not complete Waldorf Md

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009

taken 0729 on 8/17/16
    I hope they do away with the stupid and dangerous "pistol berm" IMO It was a very bad idea to use dirt full of rocks to make it in the first place

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    They also don't look like they are in a hurry to finish it anyway
    And member in about 12 weeks they will be closed down again for two weeks during deer season .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom