• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas solo

Mar 5, 2021
    I'm at a point in my life where I believe the SHTF before I die. Also at a point where I will never have to move again. I've always dreamed of having a bunker!

I would want comfort for long term. Would need ventilation, sanitation, etc. I could easily run electric and water lines

I have 2 main ideas but don't know if either are viable.

1) backhoe a hole large enough to drop a container in
    and make what I want from that

2) dig hole and make a form to pour concrete for base and walls, add steel top.

Either one would be sufficiently deep with 3/4 feet of dirt on top.

I'm just spit balling here. Can't afford one of the nice pre fab units available. Anyone ever built a bunker?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Whatever you do, install drainage before you put in your bunker.

You do not want to have an underground swimming pool.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I have family in Oklahoma that did something similar with one of the smaller containers , They didn't drop it in a hole but set it on a concrete pad and covered it with dirt after coating it with something like they use for spray on bed linear on trucks . It's for tornadoes . When I was visiting a few years ago they showed me how he's got it setup and told him there's only one problem , The doors still only open out , So if something lands in front of the door your trapped , That was corrected by cutting and welding a HD steel door that opens in and still can open the big doors too .

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    hmmm.

533877-April 2016 134_opt.jpg

539488-GoogleEarth_Image 225082_opt.jpg

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I found pre made units out of Texas. 20x20 = $155K.

*****There are some videos as well as instructional plans available from various companies that do or have done this sort of thing for some time. Some of the companies have experience designing and building this sort of thing in other countries, or for Ambassadors, VIP's, and other folks.

You can save a lot of money doing everything yourself for sure, but the advantage of pre-built or having a company that specializes do this or at least pay for the plans to build your own might make it less likely you make the kind of mistakes the typical non pro setup makes and has with relation to things like drainage, air filtration, water filtration/storage, food storage, wall and door design, lighting and electricity, and a bunch of other stuff that has to be thought about to make something that wouldn't just be a waste of your time and money.

Even paying for a couple of hours of a professional outfits time with respect to pricing and options, etc.. can be very very helpful. It's best to not try and reinvent the wheel here and there are many many details for a decent shelter for you and your family, even if just a relatively rudimentary system that will make it viable versus not.

Good luck

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …the kind of mistakes the typical non pro setup makes and has with relation to things like drainage, air filtration, water filtration/storage, food storage, wall and door design, lighting and electricity, and a bunch of other stuff

Yep. And frequently topping the list of “hindsight is always 20/20” is waste disposal (human as well as food matter, etc.)

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    1) backhoe a hole large enough to drop a container in
    and make what I want from that

I have not worked on such a project myself, but have heard that shipping containers are strong at holding up weight on the corners and top edges, but not across the middle of the sides.

This somewhat makes sense to me, since I have used cardboard boxes as impromptu step-stools. If I (gently) step up on the corners of the cardboard box, it will take my weight. However, if I step into the middle of the cardboard box, naturally my foot will fall through.

I am not saying that a shipping container will not work, just that it might conditionally work depending on how much weight it can hold up, and where the weight of the surrounding soil will press in on it.

Either one would be sufficiently deep with 3/4 feet of dirt on top.

I think I read that the house Tom Clancy had in Maryland, has a subterranean shooting range. However, that structure was not placed deep enough beneath the surface of the lawn, resulting in a dead or distressed strip of the lawn showing where the range is buried. For what greenery you plan to have on top of your hidey-hole, some thought should be given to the depth of the roots.

Whatever you do, install drainage before you put in your bunker.

You do not want to have an underground swimming pool.

+100 on this. Also, lingering water would hasten rusting of the shipping container or rebar in your concrete walls.

Wangbadan

Big Wang
    Jul 15, 2021
    The movie “take shelter” is a pretty good instructional video for this

Michael Shannon does a great job in the role despite his large head

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The question is what kind of SHTF.

In the late 50s/early 60s, the fear was that a nuke war would happen. So a bunker was a good thing. Except, when do you come out? If you can come out.

For civil unrest (which looks more likely these days), is a bunker what you really want? Again, when will you come out?

You say you are going to run power and water to it. From where? Could the people you are hiding from find you from the water/power connection? And if things really SHTF, will the power and water still be working?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The question is what kind of SHTF.

In the late 50s/early 60s, the fear was that a nuke war would happen. So a bunker was a good thing. Except, when do you come out? If you can come out.

For civil unrest (which looks more likely these days), is a bunker what you really want? Again, when will you come out?

You say you are going to run power and water to it. From where? Could the people you are hiding from find you from the water/power connection? And if things really SHTF, will the power and water still be working?

You are clearly asking too many questions.

If social unrest is the concern, a nondescript home in a rural community two hours away is going to be your best hideaway. A bunker only attracts attention.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    You are clearly asking too many questions.

If social unrest is the concern, a nondescript home in a rural community two hours away is going to be your best hideaway. A bunker only attracts attention.

That is where I would want my bunker.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Pinecone has started asking .

Back in the day , it was all about nuclear , with parts of Md worried about blast in addition to fallout . Presumably not so much today .

So presumably to discreetly hide out during " civil unrest" then ?

At main residence or the remote Undisclosed Location ? One is inherently safer , but unless you are constantly bugging out at the smallest hint of trouble , the chances are high of getting trapped in gridlock once the actual S H'es T F .

Be moderately hidden to avoid being obvious to a single pass by a mob ?

Be seriously hidden from searchers actually looking for you ?

Be hardened to resist entry attempts and/ or attempts to harm you inside bunker ?

Withstand having the house ( or other structure) burned down on top of the bunker ?

Yeah , something is probably comparitively better than nothing , but you can't be protected against everything on a smaller scale than something like Raven Rock .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom