• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRisBundyboyz

Nov 23, 2007
    Bel Air
    Get ready to laugh.

I'd like to know the cheapest AR you’d buy.

Why? Twins have arrived into my home, so money is tight. I think Biden will pass some kind of ban. I have everything but a rifle. My thought process was find the cheapest AR I can buy 2 and spare parts.

So are there any 450-500 rifles you’d trust?

Palmetto, DPMS, Adam Arms, Rock River something like this, heck maybe I could find one used?

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Can ARs even be found in that price range anymore? I would suggest a basic Ruger, but then I looked at prices on Gun Broker. Holy crap. I knew they would be inflated, but was still shocked at what I saw. I think your best bet is to regularly check local stores in person.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Buy two lower receivers and some magazines. You have plenty of years to go before you will have to worry about buying the rest of the parts.

Congratulations on the twins and may God have mercy on you. You have a lot of no sleep nights ahead of you for a while. My twins are almost 2 years old and they have only both started sleeping through then night in the last month or two. I hope yours are better sleepers than mine are.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Andersen AR 15 lowers are very affordable, and I have not had any issues with the ones I have used for builds. Buy as many as you want/can at the same time , as one $10 MSP BG check fee will cover them all. I would also buy their uppers or or any other brand you can find sooner than later, as they may be classified as firearms by the current, illegitimate administration at anytime now. I would also buy your upper & lower parts kits and barrels as soon as you can.
    You can still find these parts on sale right now, but supply is limited.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I’d get a Ruger or M&P, but I don’t think you’ll find a new one for that price. Be careful if you decide to buy a Frankengun. I’d steer clear of someone else’s build unless you know them.

Maybe someone on the board has an old Ruger or M&P that they’d part with. Create a WTB thread.

As already suggested check local dealers and pawn shops.

Congrats on the kids.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Congrats on your twins.

I’m at the point in life where I dint buy cheap booze or inexpensive guns.

Sorry unable to help.

...unless maybe the twins have a registry and you decide to put Daniel Defense down on the wish list...

I like the way you think sir--- capital idea!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    While the price is presently skewed comparable tiers OP inquired about would be the Del-Tons, Double Star’s, Rugers. Nothing wrong with any of them. Sleep well with one that is proven with a couple hundred rounds.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I met this guy on gunbroker who will sell you whatever you want if you just Venmo, cash app, or Zelle them the money.

But seriously I think any AR can be made reliable. Buy a lower and build it. I’ve seen a couple BCA guns that’s the bottom of the barrel IMO but hey it’s something and I’m sure we can help you here. As long as the lower is in spec the rest is replaceable. Get the mags and lower at minimum.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Buy two lower receivers and some magazines. You have plenty of years to go before you will have to worry about buying the rest of the parts.

Congratulations ....

All glowing advice thus far (& well deserved Congratulations!)

Gotta throw my weight into the “invest in quality lowers” camp for a lot of reasons not the least of which being you ain’t gonna be able to find ammo you can afford, let alone shoot anytime for the foreseeable future so, next to starting a “future financial security fund” in each child’s name, buying as many lowers as you can possibly afford is THE WISEST and most long-term savvy strategy you can pursue, given your current circumstances.

There. Is. So. Much. Literal. Crap & Junk Flooding the Market right now it is hard to quantify ...

And, as 20/20 hindsight has shown us in the wake of times like these in the past EVEN SOME USUALLY SOLID RIFLE MFRS ARE LETTING QC SLIP, even if but a bit ....

Lowers. And after that parts are likely gonna be major barter items in foreseeable future!

Gitchyewsum!

Question: am I correct or mistaken (thought I read here in MDS, iirc Chad?) that there are some parts compatibility or “swapability” lagging issues between the Ruger AR’s and other makes ... may have just been bbls I can’t remember exactly and so I ask ...

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Build the lower and buy the upper. You can't really mess up the lower to where it's dangerous, unless the sear doesn't work and it goes full auto. The upper is where all the pressure is, so if you don't have the headspace correct or the gassing right you will have problems. Headspacing being the most critical.

I saw some lowers for sale on here a bit ago. Check the classifieds daily and something will pop up.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

^ This, or 3 or 4 lowers ( for the twins after all, when they are old enough)

You will have time to research/buy the second biggest cost in the build, the complete upper with barrel.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    It’s so hard to find Maryland legal uppers. I feel like 75% of uppers out there if not more are government profile , which is not legal here.

Most of psa, bcm, aero precision, all geissele , radian- gov profile.

It’s frustrating to say the least

JRisBundyboyz

Nov 23, 2007
    Bel Air
    Congrats on your twins.

I’m at the point in life where I dint buy cheap booze or inexpensive guns.

Sorry unable to help.

...unless maybe the twins have a registry and you decide to put Daniel Defense down on the wish list...

I understand I used to exclusively buy Sig but it was for work purposes. I’m in a much safer line of work now. Although I take that back now I’m just defenseless civilian during the workday.

I see the prices have gone up looks like 750 is the new bottom.

For example, Palmetto has a $800 16” 300AAC Blackout would you trust it?

I had forgotten my brother in law worked as production manager for Daniel Defense till he moved to back to Maryland a few years ago... maybe I should look into cashing in one of my favors

Daycare for these little ones, buying a home, and Biden really puts me in a situation I’m kicking myself for.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Roger. Copy.

Cash in the favor. Do it now.

I went to some training in the fall. The jefe was a retired E9 Airborne fella. His crew was squared away and all vets with multiple deployments and or salty LEOs/SWAT etc.

GUESS WHAT BRAND THEY WERE ROCKING? Every stinkin one of them had a DD. No exceptions.

If you can call in that favor, I’d strongly suggest it. Good gear is worth the cheddar. Think cheap tequila/mescal vs high end stuff.

Good luck with them twins.

JRisBundyboyz

Nov 23, 2007
    Bel Air
    I hate to say it...but the OP should've already had an AR before all this started. It's hard to catch up to being prepared when you're starting off behind the curve.

You’re a 100% right. I’m in a better spot then many, I have a pistol carbine and shotguns, but I sold all my rifles. So if SHTF I’m likely in tough spot.

I’m a bit better then the average bear due to previous work, but I’d sleep better having that rifle knowing I could hold down an area from a greater distance.

Guys I’ve never built one, I understand that’s likely the best way to go. I do have friends that build I guess I’ll look into that to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom