• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

On a side note, there's something I've always really liked about the stainless/tan combination with guns - if that's a pic of your personal Magpul-10/22, I like that a lot.

Thank you. It is indeed.

I also found an online review that indicates a 4.5 lb weight is likely correct for my set-up ...

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2020/02/26/rifle-review-davidsons-ruger-10-22-takedown-backpacker/

Here's another review on the functionality of the 10/22 takedown in this stock ...

http://www.mssblog.com/2018/09/06/review-magpul-x-22-backpacker-ruger-10-22-takedown-stock/ IMG_20171208_135308_1.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you. It is indeed.

I also found an online review that indicates a 4.5 lb weight is likely correct for my set-up ...

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2020/02/26/rifle-review-davidsons-ruger-10-22-takedown-backpacker/

Here's another review on the functionality of the 10/22 takedown in this stock ...

http://www.mssblog.com/2018/09/06/review-magpul-x-22-backpacker-ruger-10-22-takedown-stock/ View attachment 302555
    Hey OP/Drickster - get this. Seriously - with every pic I see and the more I read, the higher up on my own list it's going, although it's probably not going to displace the 2020 Colt Python as my next purchase.

For the OP it would fit the bill on a lot of fronts. It's a perfect .22 rifle for the missus and daughter for plinking and just having fun, but it also has a lot of SHTF value, never mind the cool factor it oozes.

Fidelity, that rifle is a win on multiple fronts.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    Yes get the family involved with a 22 however a lever action in 357 that you can also shoot 38 spc out of is nearly just as good for plinking as any 22 if you want another option. Definitely recommend lever guns for fun and anything else very flexible.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Hey OP/Drickster - get this. Seriously - with every pic I see and the more I read, the higher up on my own list it's going, although it's probably not going to displace the 2020 Colt Python as my next purchase.

For the OP it would fit the bill on a lot of fronts. It's a perfect .22 rifle for the missus and daughter for plinking and just having fun, but it also has a lot of SHTF value, never mind the cool factor it oozes.

Fidelity, that rifle is a win on multiple fronts.

I do really dig that. But I’m pretty sure I’m going a 22 pistol. Went over to Cindy’s today and checked out the little Ruger and the Taurus T22. I’m really kinda digging the little rugers as a fun little plinking toy. Well go shoot and check them out next week and then either order something or pick one of those up.

On a side note. I did pick up some 22lr for the kid’s stocking.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I do really dig that. But I’m pretty sure I’m going a 22 pistol. Went over to Cindy’s today and checked out the little Ruger and the Taurus T22. I’m really kinda digging the little rugers as a fun little plinking toy. Well go shoot and check them out next week and then either order something or pick one of those up.

On a side note. I did pick up some 22lr for the kid’s stocking.
    It'd be tough to beat a Ruger 22 pistol, although for semi-autos there's always the Browning Buckmark and S&W is making a neat little pistol styled after the Ruger called the Victory that might be worth looking at.

Good stuff on the 22 ammo - she'll enjoy that!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And don't overlook .22 Revolvers ! ( With apologies to vintage S&W's ) the gold standard is the Ruger Single Six , particularly the dual cylinder .22lr / .22WMR . At a more modest price point , John From Md currently has an excellent thread on his detailed dive inside his Wrangler .

Don't forget the Colt Diamondback in .22. :D

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    My ex and I bought a S&W 22 for our second gun so that one of us could shoot it while the other was shooting our 9mm. It lasted less than a year and we traded it for a 38 special revolver. Neither of us liked shooting the whimpy 22, I actually found I like shooting my wheel guns better than my semi autos.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My ex and I bought a S&W 22 for our second gun so that one of us could shoot it while the other was shooting our 9mm. It lasted less than a year and we traded it for a 38 special revolver. Neither of us liked shooting the whimpy 22, I actually found I like shooting my wheel guns better than my semi autos.
    I like revolvers for the simple reason that I can dump the brass right into my hand rather than looking all over for it and trying to police it up.

WarPig68

May 9, 2012
    Pasadena
    Back in the spring i picked up my first gun, a striker fired Beretta APX. Now with a nice little Christmas bonus and spousal approval :) its time to select my second weapon. I'm very torn on what to get next. the prepper in me wants an AR, the home defense guy thinks a solid rifle, and the recreational shooter in me wants to encourage my wife and daughter by picking up a 22 (which they both enjoy shooting more than other guns).

so I'm leaning towards...

Building my own AR 15 in 9 mm
    picking up a 22. either a rifle, AR or pistol for the girls
    or
    getting another handgun of some sort. I'm torn between a carry gun and something just fun.

what did you guys do for your "second gun"?

Honestly I would recommend an SKS or something similar. It’s rugged, reliable, affordable(as compared to AR15s right now) fun to shoot and ammo is much more readily available and affordable.

It’s certainly not as customizable but it’s a tried and true platform.

You may also like something like the VZ58/Vz2008 if you’re looking for something that too has reliability, affordable ammo and a higher round capacity.

Happy Holidays to you!

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Well the ammo stocking stuffer was a big hit. I also got some parts for my Beretta. We are going to go to the range early next week and hold the little Rugers again and see what they have to rent in a 22. I think I’m still leaning towards the Walther but I dunno. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Honestly I would recommend an SKS or something similar. It’s rugged, reliable, affordable(as compared to AR15s right now) fun to shoot and ammo is much more readily available and affordable.

It’s certainly not as customizable but it’s a tried and true platform.

You may also like something like the VZ58/Vz2008 if you’re looking for something that too has reliability, affordable ammo and a higher round capacity.

Happy Holidays to you!

Those are cool! I did not know about them thanks!!!

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Latest update- was at the mall and just happened to find mussels at the gun counter in Bass Pro...I have no idea how that happened... mist have taken a wrong turn....

Well they had the Walther P22 so I got to check that out. Unfortunately they had trigger guards so I could not really get a feel for it (yes I know you’re not supposed to dry fire them). I liked the size and feel of the grip. So it’s one to consider. Tomorrow is family range day and we’ll check out some more options then.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Welp, family range day was a success. We all got to shoot a little and we ended up trying out 4 different 22 pistols. Glock 44 Taurus TX22 and Ruger Mark IV and a big heavy revolver . They were a mess. Had multiple jams on all the semis and the revolver was too big for everyone but me. It made fir a very stressful range experience. So a 22 is officially off the table.

Looks like I need to go back a read through all the suggestions on this thread again.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would revisit the .22s.

But maybe try to meet some MDS who will let you shoot theirs.

.22 ammo is very dirty. And .22 semi autos need to be cleaned more often than centerfire pistols to ensure proper functioning.

I would suspect that rental guns were a bit dirty.

A Ruger Mk 4 should not be jamming.

CursezZz

Jan 12, 2020
    Baltimore
    i would recommend shooting an AR9 before building/purchasing one personally, they shoot a bit different than a standard 5.56/.223 AR15. I have a Ruger 10/22 that i bought to shoot cheap and i liked it a ton until i bought my lever 22 lol now the 10/22 sits waiting to sell or collect dust.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Welp, family range day was a success. We all got to shoot a little and we ended up trying out 4 different 22 pistols. Glock 44 Taurus TX22 and Ruger Mark IV and a big heavy revolver . They were a mess. Had multiple jams on all the semis and the revolver was too big for everyone but me. It made fir a very stressful range experience. So a 22 is officially off the table.

Looks like I need to go back a read through all the suggestions on this thread again.
    As others have suggested, 22s can run a bit dirty. If those pistols were dirty and/or dry, or not otherwise lubed well, I can see where that might have been a problem.

As a kid I LOVED plinking with a 22 rifle, particularly ones that were tube magazines under the barrel - they were quick and easy to load, and the ones I used were all pretty reliable. Why not get something like a Marlin 66? Does it have to be a pistol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom