• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    <break>

I'm pretty sure you can copy your CAC. The law that is often cited, was written before copy machines were invented.

No, you most certainly can't photocopy your CAC except for certain limited circumstances, for very good reasons.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=63581
    https://www.army.mil/article/28452/photocopying-military-cac-ids-a-violation-of-federal-law

" Commander, Navy Installations Command issued an announcement reminding all personnel that the photocopying of military identification cards and common access cards (CAC) is strictly prohibited"

"The only exception to this policy, covered in DOD Instruction 1000.13, Section 6.1.7, is that civilian and military medical providers are authorized to photocopy military ID as proof of insurance for the purposes of providing medical care to DoD beneficiaries."

</break>

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Ed Zachary

This one should have been a slam dunk. Damn shame you've got to be a Pericles quality orator to obtain your permit when all of the board claims to support the RTKBA.....

Exactly what I said leaving tonight. Hogan is supposedly interested in making state government and agencies "customer service" oriented, yet he has been hands off with the MSP. How is belittling and arguing against a citizen's rights "customer service". Why a trooper is allowed to debate/argue at a hearing is beyond me. They should present the case and fact, end of story.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Note: Self serving question to follow

After the DEA contractor, the gentleman went into closed hearing for his application. The chairman commented how they were going to talk with their legal counsel about letters to the MSP. Did anybody stay for the results of that closed portion? It is now been over 4 weeks since my hearing and from what I understand my letter has not been generated for the MSP

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    A little background about the "HPRB security" issue that came up: Tonight I REFUSED to sign the Public Attendence Log as commanded by the Maryland State Trooper assigned to secure the meeting.

My contention is that I DO NOT HAVE TO REGISTER OR SURRENDER MY IDENTITY to attend a public meeting mandated by the state of Maryland. (These sign-in sheets have been an issue for awhile but tonight I decided it was time to challenge them.)

The State Trooper said I would not be allowed in. I demanded to speak with the board administrator, a Mr. Neverdon, to demand an explanation as to why I must register to observe public business.

Instead of meeting with me, my complaint was communicated to Mr. Neverdon by the trooper. In the interim, the trooper decided I would not be barred from the room, but would sit at his security post at the back of the room while the matter was attended to.

Instead of addressing me directly, Mr. Neverdon took my "registration" complaint to the board when the board moved to a brief closed session, which is routine at the HPRB.

When the board came back, there was an announcement that future security for the HPRB--a quasi-judicial govt body--would necessitate both a sign-in sheet and metal detector wand screening for all attendees.

To which I say: this is not acceptable. If you want to screen me for a weapon, fine, but the govt has no business demanding to know who I am just because I want to observe public business. The registration log is not acceptable and we should consider an action to voice this objection loudly and clearly.

To those who might consider this petty, we have an obligation to push back when any administration--Democrat or Republican--wants us to divulge our names as a precursor to exercising our legal right to observe "public business".

If they want to "wand" me for weapons to ensure safety and security, that is reasonable and I will submit, just as we all do going into, say, a courthouse. But even at the courthouse, there is NO demand to know WHO you are when you enter the courthouse--just that you are not carrying something dangerous.

Folks here will probably remember that the "old" HPRB would tell attendees they were "not welcome" because they, basically, had always worked without attendees or oversight. Well, we changed that.

And who remembers the "Ammo Logs" a few years back that the Maryland State Police commanded be signed by ammo buyers at gun stores, and even at Walmart. Well, we stopped that too.

As much as I support the Hogan "team", we must voice our objections to demands that we register with the govt to observe it's workings. However well intentioned, infringement is infringement.

If a registration log is put in front of us at the next HPRB, refuse to sign it and join me in demanding that it be withdrawn.

Last edited:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Note: Self serving question to follow

After the DEA contractor, the gentleman went into closed hearing for his application. The chairman commented how they were going to talk with their legal counsel about letters to the MSP. Did anybody stay for the results of that closed portion? It is now been over 4 weeks since my hearing and from what I understand my letter has not been generated for the MSP

Can't say for sure because they were using App Numners, but I think they said in the very beginning that Holman had been on vacation and still had to draft your letter because he moved to reverse in your case.

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    A little background about the "HPRB security" issue that came up: Tonight I REFUSED to sign the Public Attendence Log as commanded by the Maryland State Trooper assigned to secure the meeting.

My contention is that I DO NOT HAVE TO REGISTER OR SURRENDER MY IDENTITY to attend a public meeting mandated by the state of Maryland. (These sign-in sheets have been an issue for awhile but tonight I decided it was time to challenge them.)

The State Trooper said I would not be allowed in. I demanded to speak with the board administrator, a Mr. Neverdon, to demand an explanation as to why I must register to observe public business.

Instead of meeting with me, my complaint was communicated to Mr. Neverdon by the trooper. In the interim, the trooper decided I would not be barred from the room, but would sit at his security post at the back of the room while the matter was attended to.

Instead of addressing me directly, Mr. Neverdon took my "registration" complaint to the board when the board moved to a brief closed session, which is routine at the HPRB.

When the board came back, there was an announcement that future security for the HPRB--a quasi-juducial govt body--would necessitate both a sign-in sheet and metal detector wand screening for all attendees.

To which I say: this is not acceptable. If you want to screen me for a weapon, fine, but the govt has no business demanding to know who I am just because I want to observe public business. The registration log is not acceptable and we should consider an action to voice this objection loudly and clearly.

To those who might consider this petty, we have an obligation to push back when any administration--Democrat or Republican--wants us to divulge our names as a precursor to exercising our legal right to observe "public business".

If they want to "wand" me for weapons to ensure safety and security, that is reasonable and I will submit, just as we all do going into, say, a courthouse. But even at the courthouse, there is NO demand to know WHO you are when you enter the courthouse--just that you are not carrying something dangerous.

Folks here will probably remember that the "old" HPRB would tell attendees they were "not welcome" because they, basically, had always worked without attendees or oversight. Well, we changed that.

And who remembers the "Ammo Logs" a few years back that the Maryland State Police commanded be signed by ammo buyers at gun stores, and even at Walmart. Well, we stopped that too.

As much as I support the Hogan "team", we must voice our objections to demands that we register with the govt to observe it's workings. However well intentioned, infringement is infringement.

If a registration log is put in front of us at the next HPRB, refuse to sign it and join me in demanding that it be withdrawn.

I think you are being just plain silly.

It is a state owned property. I have no problem with the state keeping track of who is visiting any particular property.

You seem to enjoy being cantankerous just for the sake of being cantankerous.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I think you are being just plain silly.

It is a state owned property. I have no problem with the state keeping track of who is visiting any particular property.

You seem to enjoy being cantankerous just for the sake of being cantankerous.
    There is a difference in the requirement to sign in at the front desk, as required by all visitors, and a separate requirement to sign into a public meeting.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Can't say for sure because they were using App Numners, but I think they said in the very beginning that Holman had been on vacation and still had to draft your letter because he moved to reverse in your case.
    Really....

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009

When the board came back, there was an announcement that future security for the HPRB--a quasi-judicial govt body--would necessitate both a sign-in sheet and metal detector wand screening for all attendees.

:smoke: so um, couldn't you just write in mickey mouse or something? do they compare the name you write down to a gubment issued ID?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Maybe this will help for those that don't attend personally.

When you enter the building lobby you are greeted by one or more uniformed and armed officers. It's been totally inconsistent, but those officers may ask for photo ID, may scan the ID, may ask for you to sign in (there at the front desk), and may print and issue a visitor badge. It's been totally hit or miss and seems to depend on whether you enter before or after 6:00 and who is working the desk. But there is always an officer at the desk.

Last night the visitor in front of me flashed some kind of ID and was admitted (going to the HPRB meeting, which is just down the hall a few feet) without signing in or getting a visitor badge. Immediately following I said I am going to the same meeting, but was asked for ID and to sign in, but was not issued a visitor badge. Others that came before and after me were issued visitor badges.

For the last three meetings upon entering the HPRB meeting room a plain clothes, but armed officer (nice guy), asks if you have any weapons and passes a clip board telling everyone they need to sign in - again. The form has columns for name, address, email address and telephone number. The hand scanning for weapons that occurred at Reisterstown Road hasn't happened, but based on the Board announcement last night will resume next meeting.

The officer in the lobby does not ask about weapons. I believe the officer in the hearing room does because the Board has a rule against firearms, unless of course you are MSP. The wording they previously used was "if possessing a State issued badge," or something very similar. I suspect that is to allow the Board's Administrator (a DPSCS employee and former military police officer) to also carry if deemed necessary?

I don't have a problem signing in upon entering the lobby and getting a visitor badge. Having ID requested and having it scanned is a little much. I don't even have to do that to vote. Being asked about weapons upon entering the hearing room is okay. If they feel the need to scan me to make sure so be it.

However, being asked to register to observe a public "open meeting" has always bugged me. I have done it in the past because I felt there were bigger issues the Board under its new leadership needs to address. Remember this isn't like signing in on a list at the MGA to be able to speak or testify, the registration is simply to sit quietly and observe.

I get the need for security. Apparently the Board has an ongoing, documented, objectively apprehended fear of danger. Or maybe the Board members are on the MSP's SOP as assumed risk positions? It really doesn't matter to me. But there have been no less than 1 or 2 armed officers in the lobby, the armed officer in the back of the hearing room, and anywhere from 4 to 6 armed MSP Troopers in these meetings. There is enough iron hanging from hips in that building to make the MOMS weep.

So yes, the irony or hypocrisy runs deep when I see a qualified, but elderly and disabled applicant, or a DEA employee with top security and OPM breach, being told they don't have G&S to exercise a fundamental right. The MSP is still applying standards more restrictive than required by the statutes, and the Board is still failing to recognize it and consistently exercise its own authority to harmonize G&S and the Second Amendment. I also fail to see how getting my name, address, email and phone number - a second time - enhances security.

Why does the Board need a special/second list? Where do the lists go? Who has access to them? How do the lists foster better customer service?

Some people think this is a small matter, some think it's a big issue. I respect both sides. But what I think we can all agree on is that it is a totally unnecessary distraction. The Board has bigger issues to work through than keeping redundant lists.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A real court room does not require signing in or producing identification. Does typically involve metal detectors and other security checks.

Likewise the General Assembly and Committe meetings thereof.

Public means Public .

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    Some people think this is a small matter, some think it's a big issue. I respect both sides. But what I think we can all agree on is that it is a totally unnecessary distraction.

I agree it should be unnecessary but unfortunately society has degraded greatly from when I was a much younger man.

I'm old enough to remember when I could visit Montgomery Wards, and walk out with a gallon of paint, a new shirt, a bowling ball and a hand gun all in the same visit.

Times have seriously changed. I can easily envision someone receiving an unfavorable ruling from the HPRB and deciding to go postal at the next meeting.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Maybe this will help for those that don't attend personally.

When you enter the building lobby you are greeted by one or more uniformed and armed officers. It's been totally inconsistent, but those officers may ask for photo ID, may scan the ID, may ask for you to sign in (there at the front desk), and may print and issue a visitor badge. It's been totally hit or miss and seems to depend on whether you enter before or after 6:00 and who is working the desk. But there is always an officer at the desk.

snip

Some people think this is a small matter, some think it's a big issue. I respect both sides. But what I think we can all agree on is that it is a totally unnecessary distraction.

A real court room does not require signing in or producing identification. Does typically involve metal detectors and other security checks.

Likewise the General Assembly and Committe meetings thereof.

Public means Public .

I agree it should be unnecessary but unfortunately society has degraded greatly from when I was a much younger man.

I'm old enough to remember when I could visit Montgomery Wards, and walk out with a gallon of paint, a new shirt, a bowling ball and a hand gun all in the same visit.

Times have seriously changed. I can easily envision someone receiving an unfavorable ruling from the HPRB and deciding to go postal at the next meeting.

It's an intimidation tactic. As Gryphon described, they have the ID check at the "front gate" and they plan to re institute the metal detector at the meeting door. So besides intimidation and Tyranny, it appears to serve no legal purpose.

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    It's an intimidation tactic. As Gryphon described, they have the ID check at the "front gate" and they plan to re institute the metal detector at the meeting door. So besides intimidation and Tyranny, it appears to serve no legal purpose.

I thought part of the open meeting act was that members of the public are required to cooperate with whatever security measures are in place for the building housing the meeting.

I hardly see asking for photo id to attend tyranny. Heck I see the WaWa doing it every morning when they ask everyone for photo id to buy cancer sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom