• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013, a person must possess a valid handgun qualification license before they may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-117.1(c)(1). This is a general requirement subject to certain exceptions. If you, or your transaction, do not fall within an exception, a transferee must possess an HQL.

The Maryland State Police shall issue a handgun qualification license to a person who:

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-117.1(e), in listing exceptions to the training requirements, provides that:

Md. Nat. Res. Code Ann. § 10-301.1(c)(3) further provides that:

The State of Texas offers and accepts a completely online Hunter's Safety course, which consists of online videos and quizzes. This online course costs between $18 and $30, depending on the online vendor used. I have personally completed the online TX Hunter's safety course, and furnished proof of completion to the Maryland State Police for my "Training Exempt" HQL application. I also submitted a letter with my certificate stating that I have attached a copy of a Hunter’s Safety Course offered by and accepted by the State of Texas, which reciprocally accepts Maryland’s Hunter Education course, and that such proof is sufficient to exempt myself from the Handgun Qualification License training requirement, citing the codes above.

My training exempt application for the HQL has been approved, based solely on the online Texas Hunter's Safety Certificate that I printed out after the test (I used the temporary, not the permanent card I got in the mail 5 days later.)

Nice work, Mr. Cochran. :thumbsup:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I don't have my HQL partly because I haven't wanted to purchase a non C&R handgun since October and partly because I just don't feel like giving the government more info about myself or giving it money. I am exempt from the education requirement both because I have a safe hunter course and because I own pre-October regulated firearms. I'm curious what it costs to obtain the HQL without factoring in the education requirement. I heard somewhere around $200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I don't have my HQL partly because I haven't wanted to purchase a non C&R handgun since October and partly because I just don't feel like giving the government more info about myself or giving it money. I am exempt from the education requirement both because I have a safe hunter course and because I own pre-October regulated firearms. I'm curious what it costs to obtain the HQL without factoring in the education requirement. I heard somewhere around $200?

$50 state fee - non variable.
    $xx fingerprinting fee - variable: I paid ~$62 in Bethesda and have seen as low as $30 in FredCo.
    $xxx training fee - variable: I see a $25 class offered here, but I've also seen $100+ classes. For instance, Gilbert's charges $165 for non-member HQL classes.

It's basically $100 ± $20 without factoring in the training requirement.

Jamesyee92

May 13, 2014
    Salisbury
    I put in my training exempt application about a week or so ago, and just received a call from a trooper explaining that this Texas hunter safety course does not satisfy the requirement. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I put in my training exempt application about a week or so ago, and just received a call from a trooper explaining that this Texas hunter safety course does not satisfy the requirement. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

Did he say why? I attached the following letter for my application, which was approved.

Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division, HQL Unit
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208

Re: HQL Training Exemption
    [Applicant's Name]

To Whom It May Concern:

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-117.1(e) provides that:
    An applicant for a handgun qualification license is not required to complete a firearms safety training course under subsection (d) of this section if the applicant: (2) has completed a course of instruction in competency and safety in the handling of firearms prescribed by the Department of Natural Resources under § 10-301.1 of the Natural Resources Article.

Md. Nat. Res. Code Ann. § 10-301.1(c)(3) further provides that:
    Any similar certificate, or hunting license, issued outside the State by a governmental agency, shall be accepted as complying with the requirements of paragraph (1) of this subsection, if the privileges are reciprocal for Maryland residents.

I have furnished proof of completion of a Hunter’s Safety Course offered by and accepted by the State of Texas, which reciprocally accepts Maryland’s Hunter Education course. Such proof is sufficient to exempt myself from the Handgun Qualification License training requirement. If you have any questions, I may be reached by email at [Applicant email] or by telephone at [applicant phone number].

Thank you,

[applicant signature]

Have you received a denial, or was it a call seeking more information?

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County

50 for msp fee
    64.5 for fingerprints
    114.5 total cost for me. Submitted tuesday, all but one step is completed as of this morning.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I wanted to recommend this route to a friend to get the HQL (he's taken the NRA pistol course but I don't think they accept that). I see some people have had hangups with the MSP? Have they been resolved? I don't want to throw someone into an experiment resulting in MSP hassle.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    I wanted to recommend this route to a friend to get the HQL (he's taken the NRA pistol course but I don't think they accept that). I see some people have had hangups with the MSP? Have they been resolved? I don't want to throw someone into an experiment resulting in MSP hassle.

if the NRA instructor has a state HQIL number and furnished that number to the students, it should be good to go.

VikingWarlord

Jun 26, 2014
    These rules are confusing as all hell. I wish laws would be written in plain ****ing English.

Being new to the state, but having purchased a handgun prior to October 2013 in another state, does that qualify me as exempt from training? I'm not in the market at present but am always on the lookout for new and interesting shiny, boom-making objects.

If I have to do the training...well, I'll just stick with my C&R for now. Or I will once I get the updated one back from BATFE, that is.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yes, if you own a regulated firearm (handgun) before Oct. 1 you are exempt from the training. You will be asked to put the serial, model and brand into the web site when you apply.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    These rules are confusing as all hell. I wish laws would be written in plain ****ing English.

Being new to the state, but having purchased a handgun prior to October 2013 in another state, does that qualify me as exempt from training? I'm not in the market at present but am always on the lookout for new and interesting shiny, boom-making objects.

If I have to do the training...well, I'll just stick with my C&R for now. Or I will once I get the updated one back from BATFE, that is.

I could be wrong, but if you purchased the handgun in another state prior to moving to Maryland and didn't register it when you moved here, then you may not be able to use it as an exemption to training. If it is possible to do, you are letting the state know about a handgun that they had no previous knowledge of.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I could be wrong, but if you purchased the handgun in another state prior to moving to Maryland and didn't register it when you moved here, then you may not be able to use it as an exemption to training. If it is possible to do, you are letting the state know about a handgun that they had no previous knowledge of.

If he lawfully possesses a handgun, he is training exempt. There are many ways to lawfully possess a regulated firearm without having registered it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom