• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I've owned this old .22 Crosman 180 Pell Gun since I was a kid. It was made in the late 1950's. It was fun shooting way back then. Long ago time took it's toll on the gas seals. I've always kept my first rifle from many years ago. It's been almost 50 years since it has had any attention.

When C.Alls recently brought his air rifles to a Hooligan shoot it got me thinking maybe the old Crosman could be "re-sealed" and enjoy at least "one last shoot". When I started searching for info and parts I found more info than I dreamed was available. Seal kits are cheap - $10 on Flea Bay. Even old assembly diagrams are on the net. Heck, I even found a Factory Service manual for that includes the model and a copy of the original Owner's Manual:
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/crosman_factory_service_manual_all.pdf
    https://support.crosman.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/201589750/C180-OM.pdf

Below is my project:
    • My first goal: DO NO HARM! The old plastic parts are very brittle. If I break them, good luck finding replacements. The old rifle is disassembled on my bench as far as I dare to take it.
    • In the pic below you can see the valve assembly is not very complicated. It easily came apart. Looks to me replacing the old brittle O-rings should be straightforward -> cut off the old seals, replace with new and lube with Pell Gun oil and hope.
    • Replacing the rings on the gas cap and bolt should be simple too.
    • Removing the plastic barrel band is an issue. It's frozen in it's position holding the barrel and gas tube together Both band and the barrel base are irreplaceable. I REALLY hesitate to attempt removing them so I can separate the assembly. Problem is there's a seal between the barrel and gas tube assembly I'd love to replace...

All this project needs to accomplish is to give this old Crosman One Hooligan range trip for a great photo op. After that - it's back to retirement.

Does anyone have experience, suggestions or advice on how to make that happen... ???

:shrug:

Attachments

• Crosman 180 (R).jpg
      Crosman 180 (R).jpg
      20 KB · Views: 1,959
    • DSC05468SNIP.JPG
      DSC05468SNIP.JPG
      115 KB · Views: 1,936
    • Crosman 180 Disassembled Capture.jpg
      Crosman 180 Disassembled Capture.jpg
      45.1 KB · Views: 2,798
    • Valve disassembled Capture.jpg
      Valve disassembled Capture.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 1,861
    • Crosman 180 Barrel Band Capture.jpg
      Crosman 180 Barrel Band Capture.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 2,129

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Did you try and soak the barrel band in anything?

I don't think you can add heat...did you try to cool it and warm it to shrink the metal?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Been ages but I think I tapped a tapered pc of wood in between the gap to open the band a LITTLE (open the band, not press the tubes apart.) Like a chopstick that's been whittled down a little. Then used wood blocks to tap it off evenly.
    I searched and it looks like the bands are avail if you did break it. You worried they won't look the same?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Rather than take a chance on breaking the barrel band I decided to move forward replacing the seals I had access to. There is still a very tiny leak likely coming from the seal between the gas tube and barrel. But the little rifle fired about 20 shots before losing all the gas. That's enough for it to make its one and only Hooligan range trip next weekend.

:D :party29:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Gas tube to barrel only sees pressure briefly when you fire. If you hear gas coming out of there when it's sitting, the valve seat is leaking.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Gas tube to barrel only sees pressure briefly when you fire. If you hear gas coming out of there when it's sitting, the valve seat is leaking.

I have no doubt you are correct. It could be the entire valve body should be replaced.

The little rifle will return to retirement after its photo op at our next Hooligan shoot. The new seals got it fixed enough to have that to look forward to. After 50+ years the plastic parts are so old and brittle it's just not worth risking damage to them with further repair attempts. But it was fun shooting it again after all the years...

Here's a fun tidbit -> A copy of an ad I found for the 180 when they were new. $16 was a lot of money for a kid in 1960...

;)

Attachments

• Crosman 180 Ad Capture.JPG
      Crosman 180 Ad Capture.JPG
      109.2 KB · Views: 1,945

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Just put a couple drops of pelgun oil on the tip of the CO2 cartridge every time you replace it. Might seal up. PS: you should leave some pressure in the gun when storing it. So if it doesn't totally leak out, leave the CO2 cartridge in it. Fun guns - its a shame to leave it in the back of the safe for another 50yrs;)

$16 was a lot of money for a kid in 1960...

Indeed! (imagine $56.50 for a Sheridan Supergrade!)

gnowlan01

Feb 7, 2022
    Searching 4 Crossman 180 parts

Are there good websites that carry parts to rebuild my Crosman 180 pellet gun? Looking for a valve ass'y & seals.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom