• Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    *****Don’t you worry about the county going broke. They will raise taxes to cover what they can’t borrow. It’s for the children !! :sad20:

Yep, while people are stuck not earning what they did a year ago because of shutdowns, and now logistics taking care of kids. The county piggyback tax on MD income tax, love to see what that brings in for 2020.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I'm in HoCo which is looking to turn out a similar shit show but my ex lives in SS and my kids attend MCPS. My rising senior hates school and completely checked out with online school especially once they effectively did away with grades. This year will be the same I bet for both the school and my kid. I'd say, "Fine, the world needs ditch diggers too", but my kid (like most it appears nowadays) is completely allergic to work.

All I can say is, thanks to my 100% VA disabled wife, we are no longer funding this insanity with no more property (school) taxes paid. Of course, when they raise the MD state tax to 10% or more, we're boned (again since we already pay the max 8%) but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    How in the heck are they going to transport that many kids if they can only carry 8 to 12 kids per bus? Those buses hold 50 kids and if you lived a mile or less you had to walk to school. I bet now they will raise it to 2 miles for the kids to walk..

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Walking is good exercise.

It is! But since it's Montgomery County, the council can pass an ordinance mandating that it's always downhill both ways.

I went to elementary > junior > high school in MoCo. They saved the busses for kids who had miles to go. The rest of us hoofed it or rode bicycles. Now there are kids taking a bus less than half a mile. It's preposterous.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I didn’t ride a bus until HS. The walk to middle school was 1.4 miles and took about a half hour each way. Mom worked so there were no rides to school. If you wanted a shorter commute you rode your bike or skate board.

The few times I missed the bus in HS my Dads reply was, start walking.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I personally don't believe they're going to ever get them in. They will start virtual, and they will stay virtual.

Judging from my FB feed, the MoCo teachers' union apparently believes they should be going virtual indefinitely, and that anyone who doesn't agree is in favor of teacher genocide (this is only a slight exaggeration). Thankfully, my kids' private school is properly incentivized to 1) protect teachers and 2) try to get the kids in school at least a couple days a week.

At a certain point, there's going to be some sort of voter revolt, because this is just not a county you can live in very easily without a two income financial situation, and the politicians seem completely willing to ignore that inconvenient fact in favor of other voting blocs. I don't think it's going to be the GOP taking council seats, but I could very well see someone pushing vouchers finally pick up some political power.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I didn’t ride a bus until HS. The walk to middle school was 1.4 miles and took about a half hour each way. Mom worked so there were no rides to school. If you wanted a shorter commute you rode your bike or skate board.

The few times I missed the bus in HS my Dads reply was, start walking.

LOL, I told my kids that the other day and they didnt believe me until I showed them on Google maps how far we walked to junior high school.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I don’t know why they just don’t start like any other year. Other countries seem to be able to do it.

There are about 6,250 kids (0-19 years) that got Covid and ONE (1) died.
    There were about 910,000 students K-12 for 2019-2020

That’s 0.69% of student aged that got the Covid as of 7/12/20.

Wonder what the stats for same age group that got the regular flu for same time period?

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I can't remember exactly where I heard this (maybe Shapiro referencing another podcast,) but a suggestion that makes a lot of sense to me was to have all the kids go to school since it is statistically incredibly safe to do so and have young teachers and new hires proctor while the older teachers connect via some sort of video chat to the classroom.

Sounds great to me as the kids and people in their 20s are at minimal risk. The parents need to be able to get back to work and while a lot of public schools are terrible the one thing kids do learn is how to socialize and get along with others.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Imagine how awesome it would be to be a high school student in this climate and your two working parents think it reasonable to leave you at home all day by yourself because you're responsible enough to handle it.

The number of STIs and pregnancies are going to skyrocket. But, it will be awesome at the time.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    A copy and paste from another thread.

And while schools shouldn't be treated as "babysitting centers" that's kind of how our economy has worked for the last 30 years or so. Allowing both parents to work and earn an income. This is crucial to manys way of life. And I'm sure there is a direct line to be drawn with income taxes and school funding once Mom (or Dad) started to work.

Also there needs to be considerable redrawing of our "education system" if it is going to change from Mon-Fri 8-3:30-ish.

Further the "gap" between the has and has not students is going to get very wide very fast. My son is going to do all the required work plus additional work that my wife finds. MANY of the "have nots" are not going to be in a position to do that for various reasons.

If a parent has to stay home, or a both parent working family goes to 1 working, I can guarantee less tax dollars will be available for education...to include salaries.

While I get your stance on babysitters, there's a lot more to the conversation. And I'm not basing my comments on the need for a babysitter. My wife or I are always home with the kids. I realize other families don't have this benefit and if it was required would cause a significant disruption in their life.

With that said I wonder what the teachers on this board think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom