• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcgoo

Mar 9, 2018
    Hello,
    I have recently bought 2 acres in reisterstown area....I am trying to establish how i can target shoot on my own property here. I have seen a thread on this forum which had some relevant info from years ago, but there is still some info that i need to nail down in order to proceed. Anyone that helps me is welcome to come shoot here :)

This is the regulation that applies to my situation ( i am just BARELY inside the zone where i must file with police dept. for shooting other than hunting with shotgun)
    http://baltimoreco-md.elaws.us/code/coor_art17_t2_sec17-2-101

In section 2c (i) it mentions " On a permanently located, properly posted, and bona fide target range, the location of which has been filed with the Police Department"

Can anyone tell me how to establish a permanently located bona fide range and file with police? My local precinct has no clue!
    thanks

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Hello,
    I have recently bought 2 acres in reisterstown area....I am trying to establish how i can target shoot on my own property here. I have seen a thread on this forum which had some relevant info from years ago, but there is still some info that i need to nail down in order to proceed. Anyone that helps me is welcome to come shoot here :)

This is the regulation that applies to my situation ( i am just BARELY inside the zone where i must file with police dept. for shooting other than hunting with shotgun)

In section 2c (i) it mentions " On a permanently located, properly posted, and bona fide target range, the location of which has been filed with the Police Department"

Can anyone tell me how to establish a permanently located bona fide range and file with police? My local precinct has no clue!
    thanks
    Good luck finding that answer. I've searched every code and licensing requirements and have not been able to find the answer. My guess is that the wording sounded good to the fools on the council so they went with it. Catch 22.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If the law is really that vague, create a berm of dirt ("permanent"), a sign, and send it to the police office as notice.

My guess is, the complaints will mostly be about noise, so dont shoot in the evening after dark, or on Sunday morning.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Man, to me that says inspectors, clearing by permit, zoning issues raised, insurance, blah, blah, blah, money and time wasted. Sorry, but that should have been done before you bought.

mcgoo

Mar 9, 2018
    I will reach out to Mike field and going to chase things down some more at police precinct....not worried about neighbors feelings, but I am worried about the misdemeanors!
    I will post updates as I have them

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I will reach out to Mike field and going to chase things down some more at police precinct....not worried about neighbors feelings, but I am worried about the misdemeanors!
    I will post updates as I have them

Let us know what you come up with. Last time I asked BCPD this question so I could shoot machine guns they told me I needed to have a range that was essentially a business.

I'm not sure if that was accurate but that's what I was told.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    My guess is, the complaints will mostly be about noise, so dont shoot in the evening after dark, or on Sunday morning.

Or anytime a liberal neighbor within the sound of your shooting is out and calls the police because the noise is bothering them or they hear gunshots and it's skeering them.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    2 acres seems a bit small for anything fun. most people cite some hunting statutes about distance from dwellings etc...

I was thinking the same thing. My brother's place is two acres. I could see setting up some sort of 25 yard pistol range. Considering all the potential liability I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything longer. The convenience just not going to be worth the hassle.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    not worried about neighbors feelings, but I am worried about the misdemeanors!

Be careful about that. Not being worried about neighbors has lead to bad consequences in the past in Baltimore County.

Let us know what you come up with. Last time I asked BCPD this question so I could shoot machine guns they told me I needed to have a range that was essentially a business.

I'm not sure if that was accurate but that's what I was told.

That's because of that asshat who runs Christian Soldier who got into a feud with his neighbor over his shooting machineguns on his property. His neighbor got a county ordinance passed that prohibits shooting machineguns anywhere except an established range.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Saw the thread title and thought you were talking about the OM Target store shooting! Opps, like was said before AGC is an awesome place to shoot!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Being concerned about the neighbors is the most important factor. Ticked off neighbors making complaints will not end well .

( This isn't rural Virginia , where neighbors get told " Too bad, it's perfectly legal . Get used to it , and don't call the Sheriff about it any more . )

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Good luck finding that answer. I've searched every code and licensing requirements and have not been able to find the answer. My guess is that the wording sounded good to the fools on the council so they went with it. Catch 22

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Exactly ;)

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Be careful about that. Not being worried about neighbors has lead to bad consequences in the past in Baltimore County.

That's because of that asshat who runs Christian Soldier who got into a feud with his neighbor over his shooting machineguns on his property. His neighbor got a county ordinance passed that prohibits shooting machineguns anywhere except an established range.

Yeah I remember **** that guy.

I wanted to have a "bona fide range" to do it legally but got the run around with BCPD.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Hello,

thanks

what part of Reisterstown?

Legality allowing, depending on what part of Reisterstown (some parts are heavy horse areas) your neighbors (if horse people) will shit... A buddy of mine on butler rd got his neighbors into an uproar over running razors in a loop around his own fields with friends because of the noise in the middle of the day... horse people be cray

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom