• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Has anyone here used a Palmetto State Armory PA10 upper with another companies lower successfully? I have been waiting for their stripped lower to ship for over 2 weeks now and was just wondering if I have any other options?? I called them a week ago and they told me the order was approved and should ship anytime. I haven't received a shipping email and my order is still listed as 'processing' on their website.

Last edited:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    From the PSA website:

The AR10 platform does not enjoy a common design between manufacturers, like the AR15. As a result, there can and will be subtle differences in the parts kits of various manufacturers. Some parts, like the fire control group, are shared with the AR15 platform to preserve the options for upgrading. For best results, we recommend only using PSA PA10 parts with our uppers and lower receivers. We do not recommend using other manufacturers parts in our products.

Ps you can always call them.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I bought a PA10 from a guy that was so upset with it, he practically gave it away. I had no issues with the lower mechanically. The upper was a mess. The gas port in the barrel was smaller than any gas port I've ever seen. I had to drill that out to spec. Now because of the low pressure, PSA put an extremely short and light spring in the buffer tube and a lighter buffer than I've ever seen.

If you're looking for a 308 AR, I would caution against buying one from PSA. I know this is just my experience, but I've heard other stories. As far as using that upper with another manufacturer's lower, caveat emptor my friend.

Google will probably be your friend.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I bought a PA10 from a guy that was so upset with it, he practically gave it away. I had no issues with the lower mechanically. The upper was a mess. The gas port in the barrel was smaller than any gas port I've ever seen. I had to drill that out to spec. Now because of the low pressure, PSA put an extremely short and light spring in the buffer tube and a lighter buffer than I've ever seen.

If you're looking for a 308 AR, I would caution against buying one from PSA. I know this is just my experience, but I've heard other stories. As far as using that upper with another manufacturer's lower, caveat emptor my friend.

Google will probably be your friend.

Well I already bought their rifle kit which has everything but the stripped lower. It's the Gen2 version so hopefully they have addressed the problems of their earlier model. It did come with an H buffer and fairly heavy looking spring

Attachments

• 20180218_buffer.jpg
      20180218_buffer.jpg
      46.9 KB · Views: 424

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    They look like dpms uppers lowers but they don't mix. I had a coworker put a dpms upper on a PSA lower and you could barely actuate the bolt. He ended up with two guns in the end a complete PSA and DPMS. I shot both out to 200y and I'd say as complete guns they were about equal in accuracy but the complete PSA was several hundred cheaper. I think he ended up with a red dot on the PSA and scope on the DPMS. I've had good luck with PSA and the one 223/556 rifle I had that was out of spec (barrel was not centered in handguard) they lapped the receiver and resolved the problem plus shipping both ways.

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    PSA finally shipped my lower and it's supposed to be at my FFL on Monday. Then I can start the 8 day wait...

I just bought a 10th Anniversary set, matching ar15 and ar10 stripped lowers. Still waiting for them to ship to my FFL. I do not have the PSA 308 rifle kit yet, they are sold out at the moment.
    Can you update this thread on your PSA 308 build? Please :-)

Attachments

• psa_8025_1_.jpg
      psa_8025_1_.jpg
      28.2 KB · Views: 155
    Last edited:

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I just bought a 10th Anniversary set, matching ar15 and ar10 stripped lowers. Still waiting for them to ship to my FFL. I do not have the PSA 308 rifle kit yet, they are sold out at the moment.
    Can you update this thread on your PSA 308 build? Please :-)

Well I just got the lower yesterday after work so there's not to much to say yet. I did just finish installing the magazine release. That seems to be the first thing everyone does. If you have ever built an AR-15 its pretty much the same. Everything's just bigger. If you haven't there are a ton of vids on YouTube that can guide you through the process. Since you haven't got the rifle kit yet I would suggest ordering PSAs Enhanced Trigger group. The one that comes with the PA-10 rifle kit looks like pooh. I've used them in two of my AR-15 builds and while they ain't Geissele's they are WAY better than stock. If you get them on sale they are about $30

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    Well I just got the lower yesterday after work so there's not to much to say yet. I did just finish installing the magazine release. That seems to be the first thing everyone does. If you have ever built an AR-15 its pretty much the same. Everything's just bigger. If you haven't there are a ton of vids on YouTube that can guide you through the process. Since you haven't got the rifle kit yet I would suggest ordering PSAs Enhanced Trigger group. The one that comes with the PA-10 rifle kit looks like pooh. I've used them in two of my AR-15 builds and while they ain't Geissele's they are WAY better than stock. If you get them on sale they are about $30

Ok no problem, no rush. I've built 5 AR15 lowers before, just not an AR10. I was interested in the mating of your upper and lower. Since you have both made by PSA, they should be made for each other. I've also heard the mixing of different lowers and uppers. At gun shop today I asked about the PSA version AR10/PA10. They recommended for PSA not mix upper and lower. Of course all should be patterned after the Colt AR, but if they encounter a 'fitting' issue they would machine whatever was interfering.
    Great find on the PSA kit, they sell out fast.
    Here is my 556 PSA kit awaiting its lower, my wasr10 is keeping it company.

Note: Before I get questions... I've been assembling stripped lowers and buying a complete upper from a professional. I have never assembled a stripped upper receiver. I prefer to buy a complete upper.

Attachments

• 20180308_215310.jpg
      20180308_215310.jpg
      76.6 KB · Views: 112
    Last edited:

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Ok no problem, no rush. I've built 5 AR15 lowers before, just not an AR10. I was interested in the mating of your upper and lower. Since you have both made by PSA, they should be made for each other. I've also heard the mixing of different lowers and uppers. At gun shop today I asked about the PSA version AR10/PA10. They recommended for PSA not mix upper and lower. Of course all should be patterned after the Colt AR, but if they encounter a 'fitting' issue they would machine whatever was interfering.

Note: Before I get questions... I've been assembling stripped lowers and buying a complete upper from a professional. I have never assembled a stripped upper receiver. I prefer to buy a complete upper.

Nice I really like that style fore grip. Is it made by Magpul?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

In the AR10 world you have multiple standards/patterns. Just to name a few: Rock River, Armalite, DPMS, SR-25, and Fulton. The standards/patterns are not interchangeable, therefor some companies like PSA do not say what standard/pattern they use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom