• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How much would you pay per year for an unrestricted MD Carry Permit?

• $0 - I won't pay blackmail money for a right

Votes: 110 43.8%
    • $100 per year seems reasonable

Votes: 84 33.5%
    • $250 per year, a bit high but worth it

Votes: 33 13.1%
    • $500 per year, but not liking it

Votes: 14 5.6%
    • $1000 per year, ridiculous, but I want a permit

Votes: 6 2.4%
    • $1500 or more... just bend me over, Annapolis

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I answered the poll based on what the poll asked. How much are you willing to pay.
    That being said, what you are willing to pay and what is fair/right is 2 different things.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Someone is paying the cost for the voter registration card process.

We may not want to know how much that is costing us!:sad20:

So this discussion brings up a really good point. The SCOTUS found that poll taxes were unconstitutional as they violated the equal protection clause (poor people couldn't vote).

With that being said, why hasn't the HQL and all of the other "fees" that I have to pay to practice my 2nd amendment right been challenged under the same legal argument?

Or are we just saying as a society that we don't want poor people having the right to buy guns?

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections, 383 U.S. 663 (1966). A state may not charge citizens for the exercise of their rights.
    “That the power of taxing it by the States may be exercised so as to destroy it, is too obvious to be denied” - McCulloch v. Maryland, 17 U.S. (4 Wheat.) 316 (1819)

Really not that hard to tie the Supreme Court's previous ruling together on similar issues. Simply put: a state may not tax the exercise of rights because to allow such behavior enables the state to effectively destroy said rights. At best, it ensures the exercise of rights becomes discriminatory based upon wealth, in violation of the 14th Amendment.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    So this discussion brings up a really good point. The SCOTUS found that poll taxes were unconstitutional as they violated the equal protection clause (poor people couldn't vote).

With that being said, why hasn't the HQL and all of the other "fees" that I have to pay to practice my 2nd amendment right been challenged under the same legal argument?

Or are we just saying as a society that we don't want poor people having the right to buy guns?

:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As frequently happens , this thread is interchangably cross discussing two different things

The question of much * should * cost is either " nothing, the Constitution MoFo ! " , or the cost of a NICS , plus a card printer , +/- s20 .

The other scenario accepts the existence of an unconstitutional, arbitrary scheme , that won't change anytime soon. Imagine this looks like a recreation of 1970s NYC , and you discover than an imaginary analogue of a 1970s NYPD Lt lets be known that for a suitable bribe , your unrestricted Permit approved , with most likely uneventful renewals unless you get stupid . Further assume the culture of bribery is well oiled enough that you can be assured of good customer service from the bribed , and essentially zero chance of being cought for bribery , or otherwise jammed up . Without a bribe , chance of Permit not far from zero .

Under those parameters , do you decide it is more noble for yourself and your family to be defenseless, than to pay bribe ?

Do you grudgingly do what it takes ?

Up to how much $$ ?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a 5yr permit. Knowing MD ,they might consider the fee structure of this poll. But, like the old saying goes, " now that we agreed what the arrangement is,all that's left is the terms". Am annual permit would be a joke! Like PA car inspections. Demanding more than a driver's license renewal is more ridiculous.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't like it, but I'd pay for it. 25-50 cents a day is cheap insurance.

I bet things would break loose if the politicians had to pay out of pocket for their armed security. Of course, if they were honorable, ethical men and women, they wouldn't need it in the first place.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    The only way we become a shall issue state is to either have it federally mandated con carry or we reintroduce the rope to the GA. Stretch a few of them out and it might change their minds. Until then only the privileged few are going to be able to carry in this state.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Any money paid to this state for a constitutional right that's endowed by our creator would be extortion. The progressive liberals are no different now that the Red Coat British Army during American Revolution. TYRANTS.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater

I bet things would break loose if the politicians had to pay out of pocket for their armed security.

Of course, if they were honorable, ethical men and women, they wouldn't need it in the first place.

Can I get an Amen?

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    I would pay a fee. Probably up to $500 a year or so. I wouldn't like it as it would be just another money grab but I would pay it.

There should be no fee however if shall issue ever becomes reality in MD there will surely be a money grab associated with it.........

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

I bet things would break loose if the politicians had to pay out of pocket for their armed security. Of course, if they were honorable, ethical men and women, they wouldn't need it in the first place.

People once said that about health insurance.

Now, they are paying close to or over $2000 per month, since the government got involved.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Does anyone know when the last permit holder shot their pistol out in public for self defense?

I would not know that answer , and even so the MSP would most likely not want that out .

Then my other answer is i hope never , to be honest . Just like i don't want to test out my air-bags in my SUV .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I would not know that answer , and even so the MSP would most likely not want that out .

Then my other answer is i hope never , to be honest . Just like i don't want to test out my air-bags in my SUV .
    Well I cannot even remember hearing on the news someone using as pistol for self defense in the state. Ever actually.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It is expensive now for Restricted Permit.

MD Permit overall cost when you include fuel, training, range time, fingerprints, and the fees approaches $400 for a 2 year initial permit.

I'm sure it can be cheaper depending on the trainer and fingerprint fees, but it's still expensive.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    It is expensive now for Restricted Permit.

MD Permit overall cost when you include fuel, training, range time, fingerprints, and the fees approaches $400 for a 2 year initial permit.

I'm sure it can be cheaper depending on the trainer and fingerprint fees, but it's still expensive.

My/Our original 4 company permits cost a couple to 3 thousand dollars to get issued with training and bells and whistles .

To be honest i did not know anything about the process and was walked thru every step as well as filling out forms .
    I paid more then we should have but that is water under the bridge .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom