• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigTrain

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up a 10/22 takedown. Not looking to break the bank on it or go too crazy with modifications, but I do have a few questions.

I'm trying to decide between the standard, stainless barrel model, and the .920 fluted, heavy barrel takedown. What am I really gaining from the heavy barrel? Is it worth the $200+ premium over the standard, stainless barrel?

Also, how noticeable is the additional weight out front? Does it have a drastic affect on how handy the rifle is?

And on the flip side, is the light barrel that much of an improvement in ease to sling and speed when handling?

Thanks for any advice, guys!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I like the iron sights on the standard barrel. I really don't think there will be that much difference in handling.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I think a bull barrel takedown goes against what the takedown is meant to be, a light weight, packable rifle. I've never fired a bull barrel 10/22 but all of my standard barrel 10/22s are more accurate than I am capable of shooting. Scoped, at 50yds, I can put all the rounds close enough to cover with a quarter. I also like the iron sight option that a standard barrel gives you.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^ what Matt said.
    Also, sources out there indicate the TD 10/22 will not be as accurate as a fixed barrel.
    It goes to reason the advantages of a heavy barrel are negated by the takedown feature,
    making it a counter productive.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I bought the SS regular barrel takedown. I'm not interested in a heavy barrel on a firearm I'm taking in a backpack. I don't need it either. As a matter of fact, I don't have a scope on it either. I want a lightweight rifle. I also wanted to prevent the firearm from rusting easily, and that's why I went with the SS.

YMMV

Good Luck!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Also, sources out there indicate the TD 10/22 will not be as accurate as a fixed barrel.
    It goes to reason the advantages of a heavy barrel are negated by the takedown feature,
    making it a counter productive.

Exactly. If you want a precision shooter, go another route. Even if you want a more accurate 10/22 and don't want to deal with aftermarket mods, skip getting a Takedown and go for one of the bull barrel models.

Another smaller item that I personally would avoid on a 10/22 Takedown is a front, fiber optic sight. If just depending on iron sights, I prefer the gold bead. The FO might be easy to pick up on a target with a dark background, but for a utility rifle meant to possibly be stuck in a backpack with other items, I want something that is less prone to snapping or falling out.

Other options to consider are going for a stainless version (better rust protection) and threaded barrel if you want to use a suppressor in the future.

As an aftermarket upgrade, the MagPul Backpacker X22 stock might be something worth considering in the future. Great ergos for shouldering/aiming, packs smaller, and makes the Takedown even lighter overall.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jabber6

Mar 16, 2013
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    I have the standard SS version and like it. Another option for sights is the Tech Sights. Mine add about 6" to the sight radius with the rear peep mounting on the rear scope mount screws. Nothing really wrong with the open sights, it's all about personal preference.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

And on the flip side, is the light barrel that much of an improvement in ease to sling and speed when handling?

Thanks for any advice, guys!

If a sling is eventually important (e.g. for Appleseed), that's another plus of the $90 aftermarket Magpul Backpacker X22 stock. It is easily set up to be slinged, whereas many standard 10/22 Takedown stocks are not (e.g. on a standard stainless model with 18-inch barrel that can be found for around $300).

Pictured examples in the first post of this thread at Rimfire Central ...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1055914

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I think a bull barrel takedown goes against what the takedown is meant to be, a light weight, packable rifle. I've never fired a bull barrel 10/22 but all of my standard barrel 10/22s are more accurate than I am capable of shooting. Scoped, at 50yds, I can put all the rounds close enough to cover with a quarter. I also like the iron sight option that a standard barrel gives you.

There is a fix for that predicament and that’s why I went with a lightweight Carbon Fiber bull barrel and a red dot still stays in line with the compact/minimalist backpacker theme

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If low cost is more important than takedown, any of the stainless carbine models is a good choice. Less to go wrong. I own both. Nothing wrong with either.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The only thing that makes me want a takedown, is the Ruger suppressed front end they have on their site.

So normal to integrally suppressed, as easily as taking down and reassembling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom