• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    After sadly hearing that JLowe's has closed down for personal and health reason, I'm in the market for a new FFL. John definitely spoiled me, so I'm hoping someone has a great FFL suggestion in Cecil County (Elkton). I see Calvert Firearms shows up in a FFL search, anyone use them? I was surprised to see American Home & Hardware on the FFL search also, anyone know their story?

(Anyone know why the Elkton Pawn shop doesn't handle guns?)

thanks
    mike

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Rick's Gun and Pawn is over in Conowingo. Did one transfer through him and it went fine but I don't often just drop by

Had a bad experience there last time, will never go back. It wasn't the usual guy with the cowboy hat (Rick?), he's always been nice. It was some old fat guy I've never seen there before.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    That's a shame. Never actually bought anything there....only been in there twice. But both times I was treated pretty nicely while fawning over some firearms.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Rick's Gun and Pawn is over in Conowingo. Did one transfer through him and it went fine but I don't often just drop by

Rick's is hit or miss and always got attitude when transferring used
    models that they may have new. It's also on the opposite side of the
    County for me so 3hrs round trip and 7-day wait makes it a
    double trip.

(My last gunbroker auction seller never received their FFL after calling twice,
    so that kinda sealed my opinion to move on and I found JLowe as a result)

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I use Rick's Gun & Pawn for transfers and for ordering. The key is to talk to Winona or Rick they are both 100%. The rest of the staff can be hit or miss but then that's normal in most gun stores. They all are nice to me but then I'm in there quite a bit. Chris

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Had a bad experience there last time, will never go back. It wasn't the usual guy with the cowboy hat (Rick?), he's always been nice. It was some old fat guy I've never seen there before.

Same experience here. Don’t care much for the younger guy either. I haven’t been back since 2013. Do not plan on it either

OP, if you are mainly looking for long guns try Camerons in Oxford Pa. JLowes and Camerons are the only two shops I will deal with that are close. During the 2013 ban Camerons refused to raise prices on anything. Ammo included. That is good enough to get my business. The rest of the majority of shops around here intentionally doubled everything in the store.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Bud McCool
    1237 Elk Forest Rd.
    Elkton, MD 21921

I used him once before I knew about JLowe. He was a little standoffish on the original meet, but after that was very nice. He even took me and my wife out to see his hawks. He is into falconry. That was pretty cool. Bud does the stuff from his home.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Bud McCool
    1237 Elk Forest Rd.
    Elkton, MD 21921

I used him once before I knew about JLowe. He was a little standoffish on the original meet, but after that was very nice. He even took me and my wife out to see his hawks. He is into falconry. That was pretty cool. Bud does the stuff from his home.

Bud was the first FFL I ever used, he taught me everything
    That a FFL should NOT be. He is no friend of gun owners,
    He is in it only to take our money..

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I am glad I got some input about Bud other then my own experience, because I will be in the market again for another firearm soon. I will be following this thread too. I have been in Rick's pawn 2 times and both times the young guy behind the counter seemed like he didn't want to be bothered by me even though I was the only person in the place. After about 10 minutes though the women that was behind a desk got up and helped me and she seemed very nice and helpful. I didn't buy from them because she was not able to get the firearm in at that time that I wanted.

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    I live a couple miles from Rick's. Been in there several times. Guess I lucked-out each time because I was treated well and the guy behind the counter was helpful.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I am glad I got some input about Bud other then my own experience, because I will be in the market again for another firearm soon. I will be following this thread too. I have been in Rick's pawn 2 times and both times the young guy behind the counter seemed like he didn't want to be bothered by me even though I was the only person in the place. After about 10 minutes though the women that was behind a desk got up and helped me and she seemed very nice and helpful. I didn't buy from them because she was not able to get the firearm in at that time that I wanted.

You have the same experience as many people I know. I deal with a lot of people in this area that will not walk into Ricks because of the younger guy. I believe he is The Son of the owners.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    How are they to deal with? Is there a contact there for the
    FFL service separate from the car dealer?

Thanks

Not separate area , I only bought ammo there during the 22lr shortage as not many people knew about him , he always had it. They were pleasant to deal with for ammo

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I bought my first handgun , a glock 19, from him in 08-09' I haven't bought anything from him since but he was good to deal with. A friend of mine took me over to his house to meet him when I told him I was looking for my first handgun. He was down towards elk neck state park on 272.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Kinda slim pickens for a reputable FFL in Cecil County these days. I have delt with Bud on a couple occasions and I don't intend on going there again. Ricks did one transfer for me for a handgun that I won during an auction, no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom