CMP Rack Grade Special Winchester M1 for $700; Is this a Deal or What?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I agree, a "Tanker" will run twice that.
    I don't think that he will find anything than a "Beater" grade M1 for $700, these days.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    I'm a hard pass on the rack grade specials.

To me is seems like buying a high mileage, abused used car because someone put a new set of tires on it.

The receiver is the foundation of any Garand and it is the one part on which I personally will accept no compromise.

For the same money, a straight service grade is likely to be a better overall rifle. Especially if you ask for one with a new stock. Excellent condition receivers in the original finish are not hard to get on service grades.

Theoretically the new barrel may give it an accuracy edge but lets be real, its a Garand. Without careful fitting and handloading the advantage over a service grade USGI barrel isn't worth fretting about.

I understand that there are Garand buyers with different priorities and I respect that, but these are just not for me.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

To me is seems like buying a high mileage, abused used car because someone put a new set of tires on it.

The receiver is the foundation of any Garand and it is the one part on which I personally will accept no compromise.

For the same money, a straight service grade is likely to be a better overall rifle. Especially if you ask for one with a new stock. Excellent condition receivers in the original finish are not hard to get on service grades.

Theoretically the new barrel may give it an accuracy edge but lets be real, its a Garand. Without careful fitting and handloading the advantage over a service grade USGI barrel isn't worth fretting about.

I understand that there are Garand buyers with different priorities and I respect that, but these are just not for me.

Agreed.

[EDIT] Just to clarify; you guys talked me out of it.

Last edited:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010

snip
    Fair enough, but IMO CMP Garands are very low risk because chances are you can you sell it for more than what you paid the CMP for it. Don't like the one you got, sell it, and buy another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom