• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Ps let me know who the doc is so I don’t attend their practice.

He doesn't contend (nor do I!) that the vaccine induces the flu. His observation is that the nature of our highly mobile population has hugely increased the rate at which the viruses mutate and end up increasingly - even, almost entirely - dodging the vaccine's profile. Mentioning those who've had the flu despite the vaccine or never had it despite being unvaccinated is just illustrating how fast that moving target appears to be, relative to the annual mass production timeline and process.

Note that this has bupkiss to do with the larger vaccination topic. The anti-vax crowd make me crazy.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    JUST A WORD TO THE WISE: My wife and I haven't had the flu since we quit taking those fraudulent shots over 25 years ago. My sister and BIL get them every year and wind up "with a little 'cold'. I don't trust ANY medication the grubberment gives away for FREE. Good luck.

I can't can't address trust in our government; but the flu shot works well for me. The only times I ever got the flu was when I did not get the flu shot.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I know the flu shot is a crap shoot, it all depends on how accurate the predictions are as to what strains will be dominant a year ahead of time. It takes a bit of time to manufacture, and distribute the vaccine.

When I was working (phase 1, vaccine development and manufacture) I was the only person that wouldn't take vaccines unless I absolutely had to, I always turned down the flu shot. Having had the full on flu twice in my lifetime, I figured my chances were good enough that I wouldn't get it, and it I did I would survive. Now that I have COPD my chances of surviving a bout of the flu is much lower.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    He doesn't contend (nor do I!) that the vaccine induces the flu. His observation is that the nature of our highly mobile population has hugely increased the rate at which the viruses mutate and end up increasingly - even, almost entirely - dodging the vaccine's profile. Mentioning those who've had the flu despite the vaccine or never had it despite being unvaccinated is just illustrating how fast that moving target appears to be, relative to the annual mass production timeline and process.

Note that this has bupkiss to do with the larger vaccination topic. The anti-vax crowd make me crazy.

Sorry I am coming across as aggressive on the topic. Not getting vaccinated for the flu is still a sore spot for me. 12,000-79,000 people in the US die from it every year. As in roughly the number who die from guns, up to about 5x as many as who die from guns. Based on efficacy if everyone were to be vaccinated who could be, and adding in herd immunity effect, it would likely knock that back to single digit thousands who would die.

Add in as many as 49 million get sick and the medical burden, loss of work and general misery that entails...

Partly it bugs me because a large number of people cannot be vaccinated for it because of things like egg allergies, Guillen-Barre Syndrome, compromised immune systems, etc. Same reason people who don't vaccinated against things like measles bothers me. I don't particularly care if an individual gets sick because of a preventable disease. I do care that because they got sick, they can pass it on to others who either did choose to vaccinate and the vaccine didn't end up fully protecting them, or someone who cannot because of good medical reasons. And now they are sick, because someone who can be vaccinated choose not to be.

Obv I am not one of the gun grabbers , but a quick needle poke once a year isn't that much to ask to save tens of thousands of lives and tens of millions of ill. We go through so many hoops to "try to save" ~40k lives if you lump in suicides, which I usually don't. But we mostly throw up our hands and at most try giving out free flu shots and some education for something that kills far more.

So yeah, it is a personal choice, but it is a personal choice that effects those around you and not getting one might not protect. Might not stop you from getting sick and there is a chance it might not even reduce the severity. However, the odds are a hell of a lot better at protecting you and those around you than playing a pick 4 lotto and winning any money. And your odds of dying from the flu in the course of your life are somewhat higher than there are of you actually hitting all 4 numbers in a pick 4 lotto game. The odds of you getting the flu sometime in your life and spreading it to someone around you are way better odds than a coin flip, calling heads and hitting it on the first try.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sorry I am coming across as aggressive on the topic. Not getting vaccinated for the flu is still a sore spot for me. 12,000-79,000 people in the US die from it every year. As in roughly the number who die from guns, up to about 5x as many as who die from guns. Based on efficacy if everyone were to be vaccinated who could be, and adding in herd immunity effect, it would likely knock that back to single digit thousands who would die.

Add in as many as 49 million get sick and the medical burden, loss of work and general misery that entails...

Partly it bugs me because a large number of people cannot be vaccinated for it because of things like egg allergies, Guillen-Barre Syndrome, compromised immune systems, etc. Same reason people who don't vaccinated against things like measles bothers me. I don't particularly care if an individual gets sick because of a preventable disease. I do care that because they got sick, they can pass it on to others who either did choose to vaccinate and the vaccine didn't end up fully protecting them, or someone who cannot because of good medical reasons. And now they are sick, because someone who can be vaccinated choose not to be.

Obv I am not one of the gun grabbers , but a quick needle poke once a year isn't that much to ask to save tens of thousands of lives and tens of millions of ill. We go through so many hoops to "try to save" ~40k lives if you lump in suicides, which I usually don't. But we mostly throw up our hands and at most try giving out free flu shots and some education for something that kills far more.

So yeah, it is a personal choice, but it is a personal choice that effects those around you and not getting one might not protect. Might not stop you from getting sick and there is a chance it might not even reduce the severity. However, the odds are a hell of a lot better at protecting you and those around you than playing a pick 4 lotto and winning any money. And your odds of dying from the flu in the course of your life are somewhat higher than there are of you actually hitting all 4 numbers in a pick 4 lotto game. The odds of you getting the flu sometime in your life and spreading it to someone around you are way better odds than a coin flip, calling heads and hitting it on the first try.

Is it Sunday morning already?

More open carry, less flu bull chit.

I think I am going to open carry today while NOT getting a flu shot.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Only if traversing state lands (unless legally engaged in hunting). The only unloaded requirement is if the firearm is in or on a vehicle. You can walk around with an M60 and belt cocked and locked perfectly legally in a lot of the state.

You are going to ruin your whole day if you do...but it isn’t against the law. What is legal and what is smart are two different things. Frankly unless I am walking my property or hunting somewhere I’ve got no reason to carry a long gun around. I am not carrying a long gun around for protection. If I am, stuffs gone south.

I recall a YouTube vid of a State Delegate open carrying an unloaded AR and getting jacked up and a boatload of grief from a variety of LEOs until the local POLICE CHIEF arrived on scene and advised him to wise up and stow it because it made the natives restless...

ETA: Maybe he should have been open carrying a syringe. :shrug:

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I recall a YouTube vid of a State Delegate open carrying an unloaded AR and getting jacked up and a boatload of grief from a variety of LEOs until the local POLICE CHIEF arrived on scene and advised him to wise up and stow it because it made the natives restless...

ETA: Maybe he should have been open carrying a syringe. :shrug:
    That was a stop scripted by Mike Smiegle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    interesting, I thought open carry was not allowed.
    It is not prohibited and the previous AG argued in court in the Woollard case that cc of handguns is not necessary since MD allows you to carry long guns in public. Smiegle just wanted to demonstrate the most likely outcome if you encounter an LEO while exercising that right. MD law does it dictate method of carry of handguns with a permit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    interesting, I thought open carry was not allowed.

Any carry of a handgun without a permit is illegal unless transporting within the criteria approved by MD law (to/from a shooting event, to/from you place of business, etc). Any carry of a handgun is legal if you have a MD permit to carry a handgun, with the exceptions of certain places prohibited by law, being under the influence, and that sort of thing.

MD doesn't specify how you can carry. Most people believe open carry is illegal because that gets taught in a lot of handgun classes in MD. I think it's because in some states, that's true, that the permit issued by many states allows *concealed* carry; I also think it's because people assume MD LEO will react unfavorably to someone with a permit who is open carrying.

I've heard lots of people say that LEO might not arrest you for carrying, but might arrest you for some disturbing the peace sort of infraction. But I've never actually heard of it happening.

I have heard of incidents where LEO in MD had no idea what to do when encountering someone carrying who had a valid permit, and their default decision was to detain the individual in handcuffs.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Wow , i thought you were kinda playing around . Some here say it is legal but i don't want to be that crash test dummy .

But he has more nads then I .

I think technically you can open carry a long gun, but not pistol. I wouldn't try either in this state though.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Carry on your own property has no restrictions. I open carry on my Quarter-Acre of Happiness regularly.

On a LTCH, there is TECHNICALLY no distinction between OC and CC... but it's Maryland, and discretion may often be the better part of valor.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    What part of... Maryland draws no distinction with regard to carry of a handgun... don't people get...? It's a "State of Maryland Permit to Carry a Handgun". Open or concealed... as you wish.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    What part of... Maryland draws no distinction with regard to carry of a handgun... don't people get...? It's a "State of Maryland Permit to Carry a Handgun". Open or concealed... as you wish.

Do you have a permit. If so i will buy lunch and do a walkabout IF you open carry your fire arm in Baltimore.

Nobody

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Do you have a permit. If so i will buy lunch and do a walkabout IF you open carry your fire arm in Baltimore.

Nobody

Yes I do... and yes I have... and yes I will... I have no problem open carrying and I don't worry about printing... however... I don't go into Baltimore for ANYTHING... anywhere else... no problem. This is what it looks like most of the time...

Attachments

• man with a gun - Copy.jpg
      man with a gun - Copy.jpg
      28.1 KB · Views: 206

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads