• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    We took this ride a few weeks ago. (Reading Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad). Reading to Jim Thorpe and return on old RDC cars. They run steam on occasion. Mr. Mueller owns the railroad and he was on our car for the trip.

Best part is in Jim Thorpe you can take another train ride up the Lehigh Gorge Scenic RR. We got a cab ride there in a GP39 - 17 miles!

Cass is great as well if you don't mind driving over the mountains. Best to stage overnight in Staunton or Harrisonburg VA. The observation car right in front of the Shay is the ticket. You can feel the boiler heat from a few feet away as it grunts it's way up the mountain.

I thought he was running that big ole steamer more frequently as of late but now that I think about it that freaking thing probably needs all kinds of maintenance. Andy also used to own a mig, I don't know if he still has it anymore though. Theirs also a narrow gauge that runs up in Ashland too near the pioneer coal mine and tunnel which is fun to do. We bricked up the front of my aunts house from some of the old rubble from the roundhouse that they tore down from the St. Clair yard back in the day. Cleaning old bricks with a screw driver lol. Lots of RR history and stuff to see around the region anymore, glad you enjoyed your trip!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Cliff notes, I just read that the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway is ceasing at the end of November due to the local.gov wanting to collect an amusement tax.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Did you bring my kids with you? Every multi-family outing or scouting event we went on, my kids were always the first ones to bleed.

He, he, he. Our vacations are remembered by the name of the nearest emergency room! Not Cass WV, but Pocahontas Hospital, not San Francisco but Stanford Medical Center... The list goes on! :thumbsup:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Strasburg, PA

We always liked this one. We would go when Thomas the Tank Engine was there. The large train stops mid-way where folks can get off and have a picnic lunch (bring your own food/drink). Thomas doesn't go as far down the track. We would spend the night before in town...sometimes in the Red Caboose Hotel. Definitely not a luxurious palace, but fun for the kids.

I think that there is one based out of Frederick as well...Walkersville Southern.

Haven't done it yet, but it is on my list to explore with the family.

We used to do the Christmas train. Santa would go through each car and sit with each family for photos. Just remember to help lighten the train by picking up your feet when going across the bridge. ;) They would have free hot chocolate and cookies after the ride.

Parking can get very sloppy on rainy days or when snow is melting (in a grassy field).

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Phew. I knew this would be productive here.

Thank you for the input. I'll take more as I make plans.

Thank you kindly to all who offered.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    A little far for ya’ll but one of the biggest/baddest is making a swing through the SouthWest. Union Pacific Big Boy...
    http://railfan.com/union-pacific-big-boy-to-swing-through-southwest-in-october/

Detailed schedule:
    https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/

I’ll be checking it out in early November in West TX.

1280px-UP_4014_Friesland%2C_WI_%2848379660372%29.jpg

Last edited:

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Cass Senic Railroad in Pocahontas County West Virginia is the best. It’s a bit of a trek to get there, but well worth it! Cass is an authentic logging railroad with restored Shay steam engines. You can take the 1 1/2 hour train to Whitaker Station and back or the 4 1/2 hour round trip to Bald Knob. The scenery is unparalleled in the east. They have added other options as well. As a side benefit, West Virginia has constitutional carry!

I second this suggestion. I have been doing Class since I was a kid and have taken my young son on it every year since he was born and he loves it. It is only about an hour from my house.

The Shay engines really are unique in that every truck is powered (it is referred to as a geared locomotive) and designed exclusively for the timber trade in the mountains. They can go around sharper turns, steeper grades and haul more weight than traditional locomotives that operate in mountainous environments.

Also, elect to do the trip all the way to Balk Knob, the second highest peak in WV, you will see some spectacular scenery.

The WV Radio Astronomy Center is only minutes away from Class and they have a great visitors center with an interactive science center that is great for kids of all ages.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Subscribed. I don’t like giving my kids gifts I like giving them experiences.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Anyone ever done one of those mystery dinners on a train? Was thinking that might be a neat thing for our next anniversary... or the next time I have to apologize for doing something stupid.

They do one out of Elkins that my wife has been bugging me to do, I need to look into it more. If you and your lovely wife decide to do the Elkins one, you know you have a place to stay with us while you're out.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    In the general vicinity of Cass, I have also been enjoying the Durbin & Greenbrier , in Durbin, WV .

The D&G also owns Cass now (no longer a State Park) and is based out of Elkins Railroad Depot where they run train excursions all the way to Cass (Cheat Salamander). The Durbin Rocket (a Heisler engine) is the train you're thinking of (also run by D&G) that does a 2 hour excursion up the Eastern Greenbriar River. They are opening up a new section next year that will run from Cats to Durbin and the plan is to pull up the old Bergoo track and lay it on the old West Fork rail bed to Glady, through the tunnel to Bemis so that a round trip circular excursion is available.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cass is Still a State Park . But the promotion and booking is being handled by the mountainrailwv website together with Durbin, and the various trains operated from Elkins . The website lists a buncha Partners , including various CVB's , and I expect there is support from the WV Tourism office .

In ancient history , once upon a decade, Cass State Park had control over the former C&O line at least as far as Durbin. They were disc9 expanding their herd to offer a full speed mainline style excursions . But before that came about the ( whichever hurricane ) flood washed out most of the track .

The current D&G is an independent operation , but they work closely together with Cass , with Cass doing the heavy shop work, and leasing a backup engine to D&G , while theirs is being overhauled .

Meanwhile the Potomac Eagle is Not participating in the group website . The Eagle, and the South Branch Railroad is unique situation . It is Not " just" a tourist/ heritage railroad, it is also a short line frieght railroad, 52.4 from Moorefield WV, to the interchange with CSX at Green Spring . The SBRR is owned by the WV State Rail Authority , since 1978 when WV bought it from B&O .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I haven't ever been, but would like to catch up on a Steam day. But from what I understand , they are kinda unique in a cpl ways .

Tied in with their location in proximity to , and former rail line leading to G'berg , they put particular emphasis on living history & related events .

Their Steam Locomotive is NOT historic , but is rather a modern built exact clone .

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I think that there is one based out of Frederick as well...Walkersville Southern.

Haven't done it yet, but it is on my list to explore with the family.

I have done this one with my family. Is a fun little ride. We did it with Santa. I know it was during firearm season because I had to rush to butcher and then home and cleaned up to get us there on time.

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    We did Walkersville Southern during the Jesse James day. Kids loved it. They gave us jewelry and play cash, robbed us and had a shootout. My youngest was upset the robbers took her necklace. My oldest got a spent 45 brass after the shootout that he carried around for a couple weeks showing everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom