• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    Yeah Stoveman,

It was a typical FUBAR. Bought it from my local FFL. Had some dude on a local range “warn” me that the flashhider and folding arm brace put it on the MD naughty list. Had another guy a moment later tell me “nah, he is fine - it is pistol.” The two debated back and forth and I went to the MSP site to see my approved 300BLK model...and did not see it. They had 223 and 556...but no 300.

I decided to bring it to them because I didn’t like all the questions I was getting (I was 100% brand new to firearm ownership).

They were super nice at the forensics lab. They told me it would have to ship back to the FFL when testing was complete.

THEN firearm had a failure to load during testing so they tabled it. My FFL held onto it and then called MSP and explained that they did not need to test the 300 BLK barrel as it is the same one used on the approved Daniel Defense MK18 300 BLK. MSP agreed and approved on 09/11 meeting. Then had to wait for the 30 day public comment period and then another 30 days for it to show on the approved item site. That is today.

Was I fine all along?
    Probably.
    Did I feel safe with lots of questions and me not being sure?
    No - I did not.

Meh...so I haven’t had my firearm since May. It needs a full tear down, clean, and lube. Plus...I got a JP Rifle silent capture spring and I’ll have my FFL drop in a Geissele SSA while they are at it.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yeah Stoveman,

It was a typical FUBAR. Bought it from my local FFL. Had some dude on a local range “warn” me that the flashhider and folding arm brace put it on the MD naughty list. Had another guy a moment later tell me “nah, he is fine - it is pistol.” The two debated back and forth and I went to the MSP site to see my approved 300BLK model...and did not see it. They had 223 and 556...but no 300.

I decided to bring it to them because I didn’t like all the questions I was getting (I was 100% brand new to firearm ownership).

They were super nice at the forensics lab. They told me it would have to ship back to the FFL when testing was complete.

THEN firearm had a failure to load during testing so they tabled it. My FFL held onto it and then called MSP and explained that they did not need to test the 300 BLK barrel as it is the same one used on the approved Daniel Defense MK18 300 BLK. MSP agreed and approved on 09/11 meeting. Then had to wait for the 30 day public comment period and then another 30 days for it to show on the approved item site. That is today.

Was I fine all along?
    Probably.
    No - I did not.

Meh...so I haven’t had my firearm since May. It needs a full tear down, clean, and lube. Plus...I got a JP Rifle silent capture spring and I’ll have my FFL drop in a Geissele SSA while they are at it.

Confession is good for the soul, thanks for the rest of the story.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Yeah Stoveman,

Was I fine all along?
    Probably.
    No - I did not.

Thank You for doing the ground work to add another safe and effective firearm to the roster. Too many times purchasers just wait, assuming the manufacturers are doing the submittals. Have you given any thought to writing a set of step by step instructions to assist others through the process? IMHO that would be well worth a sticky.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yeah Stoveman,

Was I fine all along?
    Probably.
    No - I did not.

So, wait, FFL transferred a pistol that was not on the roster?

What exactly happened there?

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    danb,

#Shrug

I wanted a DD M4V7P. MSP had M4V7Ps (two) on its roster. My FFL sold me the weapon. The only “wrinkle” was MSP did a poor job of covering Daniel Defense in their roster. With the addition of my weapon, they fixed the prior errors. Now, no matter if you want a 223, 556, or 300...any model they offer under the M4V7P is going to be approved. It used to be “the one in black but not FDE was approved on 223” etc...

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    Thank You for doing the ground work to add another safe and effective firearm to the roster. Too many times purchasers just wait, assuming the manufacturers are doing the submittals. Have you given any thought to writing a set of step by step instructions to assist others through the process? IMHO that would be well worth a sticky.

You know what, that sounds like a great idea!! I’ll put some thought into drafting up my experience. I’ll also say that in the end my FFL likely did the heavy lifting. They were the ones that...straightened out MSP policy and forensics to see their way towards correcting the earlier errors. The current approach covers all the various permutations of color, whereas before...if you did not have the exact model / color / etc...it was not technically under the approved list. MSP was very clear with me - their sole interest was in ensuring the barrel would not have safety issues firing 300BLK. Once my FFL ‘splained it to them that it is the SAME barrel in the M4V7P 300BLK as the one in the MK18 300 BLK...they “saw the light.”

Hddeuce03

Mar 29, 2018
    So, wait, FFL transferred a pistol that was not on the roster?

What exactly happened there?

I has a similar thing happen. A couple years ago I won an auction from Bud's Gun Shop online....had it shipped to my FFL...go to pick it up and was told it wasn't on the list. So they held it for me while I went thought the process of getting it added to the list (around 3-months).

BTW it was a Jiminez Arms 9mm.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I has a similar thing happen. A couple years ago I won an auction from Bud's Gun Shop online....had it shipped to my FFL...go to pick it up and was told it wasn't on the list. So they held it for me while I went thought the process of getting it added to the list (around 3-months).

BTW it was a Jiminez Arms 9mm.

Except for the part where the FFL let you take it to the range in the meantime, its exactly the same...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    danb,

#Shrug

I wanted a DD M4V7P. MSP had M4V7Ps (two) on its roster. My FFL sold me the weapon. The only “wrinkle” was MSP did a poor job of covering Daniel Defense in their roster. With the addition of my weapon, they fixed the prior errors. Now, no matter if you want a 223, 556, or 300...any model they offer under the M4V7P is going to be approved. It used to be “the one in black but not FDE was approved on 223” etc...

If no one got into trouble for registering the wrong model/caliber, it demonstrates how useless the scheme is, and also no one really cares .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom