• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • droid1962

Mar 5, 2013
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Hi All, I was doing some research on a Dillon RL550B, when I came across this website and read the posts and replies. I was so impressed with the great posts and friendly nature on this link that I had to join your group. DA's post answered a lot of my questions and all in one place. I've been looking all over the internet and talking with buddies about reloading. I am going to take the plunge as well and invest in one of Dillon products. Here in the Pacific northwest we tend to have a lot of time spent indoors during our wet winters and this sounds like a good hobby to take up. Although, I should have done this a year ago as it will be difficult in getting all the supplies I need now. Oh well, have to start sometime I guess. Everyone on here seemed to have a very friendly approach to answering peoples questions, unlike some of the other forum sites I have been. I look forward to learning a lot of things from this site.
    Thanks to all that helped me out w/o knowing it..

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    Balance beam package deal (Balance Beam Scale, Dial Caliper, Primer Flip Tray, one Original Bench Wrench, one New-Style 1" Bench Wrench, 8 oz. bottle of Case Lube, a pair of clear Safety Glasses, machine cover and a Lyman Reloading Handbook)
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co...lon_RL_550B__Balance_Beam_Scale__Package_Deal

Is it recommended to use the balance beam scale rather than the digital scale?

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/catid/3/pid/23990/Dillon_RL_550B__Electronic_Scale__Accessory_Package_Deal

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer a balance beam

Once set to a given charge weight, it is quick to check if it is right. And you don't have to turn it on and calibrate it every time you use it.

Digital is better if you need to weigh a bunch of things to get each piece's weight.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hi All, I was doing some research on a Dillon RL550B, when I came across this website and read the posts and replies. I was so impressed with the great posts and friendly nature on this link that I had to join your group. DA's post answered a lot of my questions and all in one place. I've been looking all over the internet and talking with buddies about reloading. I am going to take the plunge as well and invest in one of Dillon products. Here in the Pacific northwest we tend to have a lot of time spent indoors during our wet winters and this sounds like a good hobby to take up. Although, I should have done this a year ago as it will be difficult in getting all the supplies I need now. Oh well, have to start sometime I guess. Everyone on here seemed to have a very friendly approach to answering peoples questions, unlike some of the other forum sites I have been. I look forward to learning a lot of things from this site.
    Thanks to all that helped me out w/o knowing it..

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad I could help you out. I have been reloading with my dad for 25 years or so. The members of the forum will help you out with whatever questions you have. Somebody will either already know the answer or can find it for you very quickly.

Be forewarned that Dillon is currently running 8-10 weeks behind on some of their items. Order the 550B and all the stuff you want for it, then while you wait for it all to come in, start looking for brass, powder, primers, and bullets. If you were closer I'd let you check out how the 550 works with your own eyes, but unfortunately, all I can do is direct you to youtube to see the vids of a 550 in operation.

The balance beam scale is more robust than a digital scale. You don't need to zero out a balance beam after every charge, you don't have to eliminate RF interference, eliminate air movement, etc... You also don't need a power source to weigh your charges if the power goes out.

A digital scale can be affected by your furnace turning on, a door opening, the fluorescent light over your work bench being on, etc... The environmental factors that can affect a digital scale are well documented.

I have been using a balance beam scale for 25+ years and would never go to a digital scale unless I absolutely had to.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I completely agree with DaemonAssassin. I love all things digital, but so many recommended the Eliminator balance scale, I bought it. It works flawlessly. All the digital scales I found reviews for were getting lousy reviews until you got up to about $350. I paid less than $70 for my Eliminator. Keep it simple and enjoy. It worked for me.

Digital calipers however, these I love.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Dig...d=1362584971&sr=8-9&keywords=digital+calipers

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    Thanks for the info gents! Purchased a Dillon RL550B and required accessories yesterday. Went with the balance beam scale as well. Buy once, cry once. Now for the 8 week wait. Still need to locate primers, powder, and bullets. Finding brass isn't an issue.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Are you Charles Co guys using Bob Mancer (Maryland Reload R) for your Dillon needs?

Most of these guys cry when bob charges them shipping on there new Dillon machine. They don't understand he has been selling and using Dillon equipment for over 25 + yrs.
    If they would buy from Bob he will show them how to set up and use there machine.Remember back when he was selling at the Greenbelt shows and before Dillon went direct & Brian Enos Was in pullups.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Supposed to get a shipment of primers in today around 3pm. I'm in desperate need of SP.

Someone has to eat the cost of shipping. he wouldn't be doing business for long if he took the hit. Bob charges the same price as Dillon does for the parts and they're usually in stock, locally. Haven't been there since the madness started, so he may be waiting like everyone else.

I'm glad I stocked up on bullets and powder well before the reloading SHTF. Didn't realize how low I was on SP primers though. My own fault.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I added a few more books, tumblers, and tumbler media to the mega post. If anybody thinks of anything I should add to the mega post, please let me know and I'll add it and give credit to you in the post. The post is a living/evolving post that will have things added and taken away as needed, but I'd like input from any/all members on things that I need to add or take out for any reason. This is a resource that all members in the Reloading section have contributed to in some way since I joined MDS.

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing the knowledge you all have shared with me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer a beam balance for reloading. As you are loading on a progressive, you want to check the powder thrown every so often. With a beam balance, you set it, dump the powder and see if it is right. No thinking, it is close or not close.

A digital was nice to have when I had to figure out if some rounds had powder or not. I weighed a primed case and bullet, and set that to the tare (0) weight. Then checked that the rounds weighed more than the empty by at least 1/2 the powder charge.

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    Bob hooked me up. I got a 650 complete with everything except dies. Hopefully this week maybe. He has stuff coming in daily from Dillon. His prices are Dillon prices not the over priced stuff on the internet.
    Still looking for primers and 45 brass and bullets and dies.

Pilot7576

Aug 13, 2009
    +1 on Brian Enos and his website...he will talk to you on the phone as well and figure out exactly what you need...

Pilot7576

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Don't worry about 'buy once cry once'. After you've loaded a zillion rounds and the 550 still looks and works like new you'll realize it wasn't expensive at all :)

Colt Justice

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Good choice on the Dillon. I have 2 550b's. Had one for 20 years, bought it used, and it's still going strong. But another newer one, also bought it used, and have had it for 10 years.
    There have been some great tips and advice already, so I won't offer any, but one tip that may not have been mentioned, if your new to reloading, invest in the view dollars it costs to watch the video on how to set the machine up. The instructions are difficult (somewhat) and the video brings it all into perspective.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Good choice on the Dillon. I have 2 550b's. Had one for 20 years, bought it used, and it's still going strong. But another newer one, also bought it used, and have had it for 10 years.
    There have been some great tips and advice already, so I won't offer any, but one tip that may not have been mentioned, if your new to reloading, invest in the view dollars it costs to watch the video on how to set the machine up. The instructions are difficult (somewhat) and the video brings it all into perspective.

You can always call Dillon and get help over the phone. God knows I may have spoken to Mr. Dillon himself.

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    On the digital scale, we had nothing but problems with the Dillon digital scale. Had to zero all the time and inconsistent weights. We were ready to chuck it and then, we put an alum dish on it. Now, it is spot on everytime. Hardly ever have to zero it. We check it with a balance bean scale to make sure. Seems like the issue was static in the plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom