• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Picked up a Ruger LCP today at the Harrisburg gun show. I have been eagerly waiting to get one since they first came out. I have wanted a 380acp mouse gun for summer pocket carry, but after firing a P3AT, I was a little dissapointed, the checkering and grip were not that comfortable, the finish was rough, and it felt a little flimsy. The LCP seems to have corrected most of the little things I didn't like about the kel-tec, the checkering is better, the finish is nice, and it feels a little more solid. The extractor is redesigned, and it has a little chamber indicator window, The Ruger also has a small slide release (does not lock slide on last shot). At first glance it looks exactly like what I expected, a refined and tweaked kel-tec. The trigger is rated to 8lbs, he kel-tec is 5, but both feel about the same, with the ruger being a little smoother. I also picked up a desantis nemesis pocket holster, the textured soft rubber shell stays put, the satin liner makes for a fast and smooth draw. It keeps the pistol in a position that can be drawn from quickly, and covers the trigger, but leaves the grip completely uncovered. I plan on carrying it with FMJ ammo, because of the short barrel and resulting lower velocity, I worry that HP ammo may not penetrate sufficiently, and FMJ is the gold standard for reliable feeding.

Hopefully I can shoot it soon, and will add a range report

my main carry peices, S&W M&P 9c in a Don Hume high ride, Bersa thunder 380 in a Hume IWB(originally for the M&P), S&W 442 in another Hume IWB, and lil' Elsey Pea in her nemesis pocket holster

Attachments

• IMAGE_076.jpg
      IMAGE_076.jpg
      81.8 KB · Views: 344
    • IMAGE_079.jpg
      IMAGE_079.jpg
      85.3 KB · Views: 342

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Wow, that really is a difference in size when you put it next to the 9c for scale. That looks like a nice little carry gun you have there.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I checked one out at a shop last week and was was very impressed with the LCP. It's on my buy wishlist along with a CCW permit. I'm looking forward to your range report.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Please bring that to the next shoot. I want to shoot it along side of my P3AT. I agree, it looks like a P3AT that's taken a trip to the beauty shop. I do like, however, the addition of the slide stop and a loaded chamber indicator. I don't know if those two things are enough to convince me to ditch my KT and buy and LCP, but I'd like to try them both one of these days.

I finally got my KT shooting flawlessly and nicely broken in. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. But I am intrigued by the LCP.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Please bring that to the next shoot. I want to shoot it along side of my P3AT. I agree, it looks like a P3AT that's taken a trip to the beauty shop. I do like, however, the addition of the slide stop and a loaded chamber indicator. I don't know if those two things are enough to convince me to ditch my KT and buy and LCP, but I'd like to try them both one of these days.

I finally got my KT shooting flawlessly and nicely broken in. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. But I am intrigued by the LCP.

I am also interested to see how they compare side by side. I shot a kel-tec a few months ago, and got to handle one at the show next to the LCP. I am curious to see if the more comfortable grip (to me at least) helps to make it easier to control. Now I am looking to find some extended mag floor plates that fit.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Another term for it would be "Gettin' the hell outa Dodge". Green with envy -> :envy:

settled on friday 6-6, moved in on sat&sun7&8, picked up my last MD regulated arm on monday morning (after waiting 10 days), got my PA license and applied for a resident LTCF on monday afternoon, and still made it to Sean Bolan's on time 6-9:D

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I am also interested to see how they compare side by side. I shot a kel-tec a few months ago, and got to handle one at the show next to the LCP. I am curious to see if the more comfortable grip (to me at least) helps to make it easier to control. Now I am looking to find some extended mag floor plates that fit.

I don't know if they make an equivalent (yet) for the LCP but I had the same problem with the KT grip and I bought the fingertip magazine extension. I made a world of difference. Basically eliminted and muzzle flip or limp wristing issues. I would definitely recommend getting one and trying it out. They look like this:

dsc00419-small.jpg

side.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hey AK, I am curious to see if the two have the same floorplate design or not. I think I will order a couple and see if they fit, or can be made to.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Took it shooting today. It does feel a little smoother than I remember the KT being. The trigger is actually quite good, feels like a light DAO revolver. I fired 100 rounds without any problems of any kind, and I tried to limp-wrist it, but it functioned flawlessly. The brass is ejected straight up and about 1 o'clock to the right, and hard. Recoil is quick and strong, but not unmanageable, and is reduced a good bit with a tight hold, all in all similar in feel to my 38spl J-frame with light weight +P loads. The sights are worthless, but at the distances it is likely to be used aiming across the top of the slide, or point shooting are sufficient. I think this is the perfect BUG or for times when anything bigger cannot be hidden. The floorplate from my bersa fits(same as the KT design), and functions, but leaves a small gap, and the hook makes mag changes and draws easier, and helps keep the muzzle on target. I cut a grip-all jr. to fit and it feels good on the gun, with both the mag hook and grip-all it can be accurately rapid fired fairly well. I ran a few gold dots, and they worked fine, but will carry it with FMJ to make sure penetration is adequate if god forbid I ever have to use it. All in all it fits it's purpose well, and will be carried as a BUG often, and a primary when I need absolute concealment.

6rds 25ft in 10 seconds

Attachments

• IMAGE_080.jpg
      IMAGE_080.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 325
    Last edited:

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    It will be interesting to read all the P3AT vs LCP comparisons that will surely be hitting the internet soon. Here's one I found:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1211988912/11

Gun Tests magazine did a comparison of the P3AT and LCP. They gave a slight edge to the P3AT mainly due to more positive checkering on the grip and the LCP had some bad FTF. There was a problem with the P3AT trigger but it functioned without a problem. They also said that the major components were not interchangeable.

"We liked the concept of these small 380s very much, though we thought both guns needed some attention before we’d consider them ready for the street. The Kel-Tec definitely needed some file work on its trigger nose. The Ruger needed internal deburring and a touch of polishing. Both guns would benefit from sights twice as high as they now are, though that’s not necessary.
    Everyone who handled the two guns preferred the coarser checkering of the Kel-Tec, though the Ruger’s looked nicer. If there’s a better 380 concealment handgun than the P3AT, we would like to know what it is. These guns are both great, but I narrowly preferred the Kel-Tec."

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    hey alucard, here's another one of ure gun from when u swung by

lcp.jpg
    small little sucker

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member