• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    After shooting sporting clays and trap for about 4 years, I finally convinced the wife to give it a try on Saturday, she has tagged along as a spectator a few times, but never really had much of an interest in shooting till now. She has a 20ga Rem 870 youth, and shot well enough, the puller was throwing single targets for her, and as soon as she busted her first clay she just wanted to keep shooting, and it seems she found a type of shooting she really enjoys. A nice fellow we were squaded with let her try his 20ga Citori O/U and she shot doubles a couple times, and started hitting more and more, out of the last 3 stands, she hit at least 1 from each. The range closed after we were done, so we only shot one round. She had a blast, has not stopped talking about it since, and can't wait to do it again. After we we left the range, Amy wanted to go look at a reasonably priced O/U for herself:) We went to most every shop within a 100 mile radius, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, and a few little mom and pop shops. We ended up at Dick's sporting goods, and picked up a beautiful Franchi diamond 20ga/26" O/U on clearance, good fit and finish, nice trigger pull, clean engraving, nice wood, and all the features she wanted, barrel selector, ejectors, and a short LOP, one hell of a gun for $750, I bought a few more chokes for her, and a few boxes of shells. We patterned it, threw a box of shells through it, and it shoots right to POA, easy for her to handle, and the nice oversized recoil pad makes it comfortable for her to shoot. Neither of us can wait till next saturday to try it out on the clays course.

franchi diamond 1.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    She has shot for years, and even attended a couple MDshooters shoots with me. Although she shot mostly to spend time with me, even bought a couple guns, she never really got into it till now. She's pretty good with a pistol, and can shoot rifles fairly well with irons, but likes to shoot "stuff", not so much paper. Next week, she is going to get her concealed carry permit, and when I get some overtime, I'll fund her very own centerfire pistol, and a CCW class.

Some more pics of her stuff, 870jr, Walther P22 and the Franchi.

S7300684.jpg

S7300687.jpg

S7300689.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Sweet! Trap is a lot of fun. I hope you have a progressive shotshell loader.

I reload most every rifle and handgun caliber, but not shot shells. I looked into it, and about the best I could do for 1oz 12ga loads was about $5 per 25, and $4.50 per 7/8oz 20ga. Right now, I can buy Rem gunclub loads for about $50 per 250rd case, so I break even on 12ga, and save a whopping $5 per case for 20ga. I have tried out a lee load-all that took forever to stamp out a box, an MEC progressive that loaded pretty well, but still much slower than metallic reloading. Even if it was $10 a case cheaper, it would probably take several years before I broke even with the equipment cost, and even then the effort required outweighs the meager or non-existant cost savings. We are happy with the performance of the factory loads we use now, and picking up hulls is not required at the range we shoot at, and would suck being I shoot a semi auto Beretta.
    If there is something I am missing, let me know.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I found that about the only way to save $ reloading shotshells was on heavy hunting loads. Target loads aren't worth the time because it costs the same ammount of money.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I reload most every rifle and handgun caliber, but not shot shells. I looked into it, and about the best I could do for 1oz 12ga loads was about $5 per 25, and $4.50 per 7/8oz 20ga. Right now, I can buy Rem gunclub loads for about $50 per 250rd case, so I break even on 12ga, and save a whopping $5 per case for 20ga. I have tried out a lee load-all that took forever to stamp out a box, an MEC progressive that loaded pretty well, but still much slower than metallic reloading. Even if it was $10 a case cheaper, it would probably take several years before I broke even with the equipment cost, and even then the effort required outweighs the meager or non-existant cost savings. We are happy with the performance of the factory loads we use now, and picking up hulls is not required at the range we shoot at, and would suck being I shoot a semi auto Beretta.
    If there is something I am missing, let me know.

Since you are getting Gun Club at $50 a case I'd stay with that. I was just at Dick's on Sunday and Gun Club was running at about $80 a case so I was considering looking into reloading shotshell because of the higher price. Like you, I never saw the fast savings with reloading shotshell, but haven't priced out everything to know if there is any justifiable savings for several years now.

I need to do a better search to find Gun Club on sale now that my go to Gun Club supplier is too high. I still have a decent supply of Gun Club so I'm not worried yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom