• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'm looking to purchase 2 tasers, for myself and wife.

I know nothing about them. Are there different types, models or modes?

Do I want the kind that shoot barbs or just the close contact stun?

Is there training classes nearby? Recommended YouTube videos?

Any recommended IPs?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Stoveman sells the Taser Pulse, and he is most knowledgeable about them.

Tasers work well under certain conditions... the thinner the clothing the better. The barbs have to penetrate through clothing and embed into skin for them to work. There is also an optimal distance range between you and the target, based on spread of the probes and maximum effective distance of the probe's wires. Lots of good youtube videos if you have some time to search.

Another good SD option is the Kimber Pepper Blaster. Not dependent on clothing, but does need a clear path to an attacker's face to be effective.

I recommend having both so that you will have the option of choosing the most effective one given the circumstances, especially considering that most of us who live in MD cannot otherwise arm ourselves with a different means of self defense.

As for contact devices like stun guns, keep in mind that you have to be in contact with your attacker, which means he will also be in contact with you. Stun guns typically cause pain, whereas tasers interrupt the central nervous system and are designed to immobilize your attacker. Might not work on someone who is amped up on enough drugs, though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The contact devices also serve to do the "muscle/ nerve effects , * eventually * . You would have to keep him/ her under control for 5 seconds or so sufficently to keep the stun gun in continuous contact . Most of the time when subject to a violent attack , you won't easily imobilize with one hand while they are trying to kill/ seriously assault you .

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Taser has 2 offerings. Both have a laser to aim with, and a light to illuminate the target. They also use the same cartridges.

After engaging either, they provide 30 seconds of electricity to assist in your escape to safety.
    As a last resort, both have electrodes to be used as a contact stun gun, if needed.

The pulse, looks like a compact carry handgun.
    RRATS39061__73121.1532687962.jpg

The bolt, looks less ominous.
    RRATS39060__77902.1532687961.jpg

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    You want the kind that shoots barbs. When they became legal to own last year I got a Pulse and an IWB holster from Theis Holsters. It seemed like a cool option at the time given it's impossible to get a carry permit in MD, but honestly I very rarely carry it anymore. I got mine from FreeState gun range and they have a training class.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Bit off topic but be sure to use non flammable pepper spray if you use a taser.

While it may be amusing, the dancing candle at the end of your taser wire could be a legal problem.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Bit off topic but be sure to use non flammable pepper spray if you use a taser.

While it may be amusing, the dancing candle at the end of your taser wire could be a legal problem.

It's Sabre Red, "oleoresin Capsicum", according to the label. No warnings about it being flammable.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I like the idea of tasers, but they don't always connect right. And when they do connect right, they don't always disable the attacker.

It's a great tool for LEO to sneak up on someone and take them down. It's not the greatest for face to face confrontation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are Tasers perfect, 100% effective, every time ? No . ( Hint- nothing is, not even .50BMG)

Are they substantially better than next best non- firearms options ? Yes

Are they of sufficient usefulness and effectiveness to be worthwhile ? Yes

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    What is wrong with OC spray and a training class? Compared to a can of OC, tasers require batteries to work, cost a few hundred dollars, are cost prohibitive to train with, you only have one shot for it to work, it basically attatches you to the threat, and you have to hit someone with both leads for it to actually do anything. So yea, good alternative to lethal force for a few officers trying to subdue a suspect, but there is far better for civilians just looking to stop an attack, and get away.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Modern OC is better than previous aerosols , but

Beyond bad breath distances, even gentle breezes hardly noticable will deflect .

At meaningful standoff distances requires Kentucky windage to walk your shots ( stream) onto target . Works a lot better in a training class with cooperative training partners , than someone in real world who doesn't want to get sprayed .

Conversely , Murphy is a mofo , and yourself or other unintended persons frequently get a dose from either crosswinds outdoors, or confined spaces indoors .

And most importantly , the time to meaningful incapacitation is highly variable . From personal experience and observation range from instantly crumpling to the ground to 3-5 minutes in a training context . In a violent, combative, while stoned context , essentially never . The gentleman had some nose running after each spray down , but never stopped fighting and resisting . I have been told by the person doing the spraying of an individual who decided to cooperate after being sprayed , but didn't have the physical effects until 30 minutes later.

( Hint - Persons whose regular diets involve very spicy foods, have a substantial tolerence built up to Oleo Capsicum .)

Summary Added - OC is worthwhile additional option , but don't count on timely effect, and have a Plan B .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    What is wrong with OC spray and a training class? Compared to a can of OC, tasers require batteries to work, cost a few hundred dollars, are cost prohibitive to train with, you only have one shot for it to work, it basically attatches you to the threat, and you have to hit someone with both leads for it to actually do anything. So yea, good alternative to lethal force for a few officers trying to subdue a suspect, but there is far better for civilians just looking to stop an attack, and get away.

The concept behind civilian TASER use is to deploy the device and then get out of dodge. There is a 30 second continuous charge being delivered while you beat feet. And if one happens to use, and subsequently lose because it was left behind, a TASER in a self defense situation the company will send you another one gratis.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

Meh. The disadvantages of OC is probably all the over spray.

For your example if you got some corrections guard blasting an inmate with OC spray, after the struggle is over you have to get someone in there and scrub the entire area down, people have to change clothes, whatever.

Advantages and disadvantages of both but the tazer doesn't have the collateral disadvantages of the pepper spray

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom