• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Whatever his faults, it's important to consider the alternative.

Just as the 2A has been weakened by a century of progressive incrementalism, regaining a semblance of our rights will have to be achieved the same way. As distasteful as Hogan's reluctance to support us may be, he is in a far better position to advance our agenda than any Democrat in that office.

In order to have any effect on a legislature with a supermajority, in a state filled with rabid Alt-Left voters, he must compromise to retain his office. The next four years will find the governor's office taking a leading role in re-drawing boundaries for legislative districts.

This re-districting following the 2020 census is the best hope for returning enough Republicans to the legislature to be able to sustain the governor's veto, which is at present not possible. It's impossible to overstate the importance of this ability, so long as we have a Governor who differs with the General Assembly. (Again, useless if Hogan fails to be re-elected.)

The Perfect is the enemy of the Good. And despite the nattering of the Progressives, nothing in the area of human activity is perfect, especially in the political arena.

Compromise is one thing but hogan goes nearly full throttle dem and agrees with dems more than the dems do with themselves. He doesn’t need to be perfect but he needs our help to get re elected, at least that’s what I think and if it ain’t true why not just abandon him, so he needs to do or say something vaguely resembling a pro 2 a stance. The way he acts I don’t think he thinks he needs us, more like we are a hindrance to what he really wants to do.

Just my opinion he should at the very least say something pro 2a

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Compromise is one thing but hogan goes nearly full throttle dem and agrees with dems more than the dems do with themselves. He doesn’t need to be perfect but he needs our help to get re elected, at least that’s what I think and if it ain’t true why not just abandon him, so he needs to do or say something vaguely resembling a pro 2 a stance. The way he acts I don’t think he thinks he needs us, more like we are a hindrance to what he really wants to do.

Let's see whether he exercises his veto on any of the garbage being formulated by the GA this session.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Let's see whether he exercises his veto on any of the garbage being formulated by the GA this session.

If they pass any of that garbage and he vetos all they pass I will consider that something but he’s already gone on tv saying he will sign away our rights and ban bumpstocks and trigger accessories already so who knows what that rhino will do.

I hope he grows a pair after this session and vetos every thing they pass. I just gave my doubts. We will all see soon enough. One things for sure, whatever rights of ours he gives away we won’t be getting back. Folks should think about that.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Why does he need us to get re-elected? Did we elect him in the first place or did the middle elect him because they could see the true nature of Anthony Brown?

Don't fool yourself into thinking that we (pro 2A) are that strong in this state. If we had anywhere near the power you say we do, the state would not be so far left leaning. We wouldn't need Gun Bill Days in Annapolis or for that matter, a great group like the Patriot Picket.

This state is deeply entrenched in an anti 2A political climate. Until we get local representation that is more pro 2A, we are spinning our wheels.

Do I want Hogan to do something for us? Yes, you better believe I do. Do I expect him to do anything this year? Absolutely not.

It would appear that the 2nd Amendment is aligning to be the battle cry for both parties this November. Hogan would be committing political suicide if he took a pro 2A stance now. The problem he would have is any positive movement on the 2A from him would be pounced on by any democrat opponent.

I personal have always thought that he should have come into office with some pro 2A order. Then it would have had 3-4 years to prove that what he did wouldn't hurt the citizens or the state. But if he were to do something now, the Dems would cry that the sky is falling and Hogan is going to lead the state into armed gangs everywhere in the state (not that this isn't already happening) and that it would be all Hogan's fault. He lost his opportunity. We lost our opportunity.

I hope he gets another chance at doing something in 2019.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Why does he need us to get re-elected? Did we elect him in the first place or did the middle elect him because they could see the true nature of Anthony Brown?

Don't fool yourself into thinking that we (pro 2A) are that strong in this state. If we had anywhere near the power you say we do, the state would not be so far left leaning. We wouldn't need Gun Bill Days in Annapolis or for that matter, a great group like the Patriot Picket.

This state is deeply entrenched in an anti 2A political climate. Until we get local representation that is more pro 2A, we are spinning our wheels.

Do I want Hogan to do something for us? Yes, you better believe I do. Do I expect him to do anything this year? Absolutely not.

It would appear that the 2nd Amendment is aligning to be the battle cry for both parties this November. Hogan would be committing political suicide if he took a pro 2A stance now. The problem he would have is any positive movement on the 2A from him would be pounced on by any democrat opponent.

I personal have always thought that he should have come into office with some pro 2A order. Then it would have had 3-4 years to prove that what he did wouldn't hurt the citizens or the state. But if he were to do something now, the Dems would cry that the sky is falling and Hogan is going to lead the state into armed gangs everywhere in the state (not that this isn't already happening) and that it would be all Hogan's fault. He lost his opportunity. We lost our opportunity.

I hope he gets another chance at doing something in 2019.

Like I said, if he doesn’t need us why not abandon him? If we are of no help no wonder we get shyte on. If he doesn’t veto everything the dems pass that’s anti 2a this session he’s an anti himself, in my eyes. He’s already gone on record saying all the dems have to do is send him a bannthe bumpstock and trigger enhancements bill and he will gladly sign it. With friends like that who needs enemies?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Like I said, if he doesn’t need us why not abandon him? If we are of no help no wonder we get shyte on. If he doesn’t veto everything the dems pass that’s anti 2a this session he’s an anti himself, in my eyes. He’s already gone on record saying all the dems have to do is send him a bannthe bumpstock and trigger enhancements bill and he will gladly sign it. With friends like that who needs enemies?

Since he WILL BE the Republican candidate for the governor's race, who would you recommend we put our efforts into getting elected?

If he doesn't meet your expectations, is he any better or any worse than a Democrat sitting in the office?

President Trump and many other Republicans has gone on record that they also want to ban bump stocks and possibly trigger enhancements. Do we have to abandon the Republican party because of these opinions?

Enemies? You don't know enemies. Things could be a lot worse and I guarantee they will be a lot worse if a Dem gets to sit in the Governor's office.

Do I like the direction Governor Hogan has taken, no. Did I expect a pro 2A governor, no. We have 2A folks leaving this state every day. They don't see any help coming and I'm not sure I can disagree with them. But until we get our local representatives thinking about pro 2A laws, we could have Ronald Reagan for governor and it wouldn't help.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Since he WILL BE the Republican candidate for the governor's race, who would you recommend we put our efforts into getting elected?

If he doesn't meet your expectations, is he any better or any worse than a Democrat sitting in the office?

President Trump and many other Republicans has gone on record that they also want to ban bump stocks and possibly trigger enhancements. Do we have to abandon the Republican party because of these opinions?

Enemies? You don't know enemies. Things could be a lot worse and I guarantee they will be a lot worse if a Dem gets to sit in the Governor's office.

Do I like the direction Governor Hogan has taken, no. Did I expect a pro 2A governor, no. We have 2A folks leaving this state every day. They don't see any help coming and I'm not sure I can disagree with them. But until we get our local representatives thinking about pro 2A laws, we could have Ronald Reagan for governor and it wouldn't help.

If hogan does nothing pro 2a I will follow his lead and vote for my dad, like he did with trump. And trump is on thin ice with me, and a lot of fat right folks. The republicans who deserve my vote will get it the others will not.

As for enemies, if you’ve lived her as long as I have the 2a and myself both have enemies here.

And sooner or later I will be leaving this state just like the other pro 2a folks who have gone before me.

So as far as I am concerned the ball is in Hogan’s court if he wants the far right vote, or not.

Like you say, he doesn’t need us so now I think, why bother worrying about it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

No, Hogan just does not go full throttle 2A. As I keep telling a lot of people on here, 2A is not the only topic that everybody thinks about when deciding to vote for a candidate. In fact, a lot probably do not even care about 2A when voting for a candidate. Of course, that is not the case on this board, but it is the case at the voting booth.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Whatever his faults, it's important to consider the alternative.

Just as the 2A has been weakened by a century of progressive incrementalism, regaining a semblance of our rights will have to be achieved the same way. As distasteful as Hogan's reluctance to support us may be, he is in a far better position to advance our agenda than any Democrat in that office.

In order to have any effect on a legislature with a supermajority, in a state filled with rabid Alt-Left voters, he must compromise to retain his office. The next four years will find the governor's office taking a leading role in re-drawing boundaries for legislative districts.

This re-districting following the 2020 census is the best hope for returning enough Republicans to the legislature to be able to sustain the governor's veto, which is at present not possible. It's impossible to overstate the importance of this ability, so long as we have a Governor who differs with the General Assembly. (Again, useless if Hogan fails to be re-elected.)

The Perfect is the enemy of the Good. And despite the nattering of the Progressives, nothing in the area of human activity is perfect, especially in the political arena.

Well put Bob. Earlier, I was thinking about how pissed I am at Hogan over this, but it might be the right play for the long run. Just looking at the gerrymandered map of Maryland makes me want to puke.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    No, Hogan just does not go full throttle 2A. As I keep telling a lot of people on here, 2A is not the only topic that everybody thinks about when deciding to vote for a candidate. In fact, a lot probably do not even care about 2A when voting for a candidate. Of course, that is not the case on this board, but it is the case at the voting booth.

For me it’s the case at both places.

The rest of y’all can decide how many of your rights are ok for hogan to give away. My answer is zero. He gives away my rights here in md, he doesn’t get my vote.

How many of your rights are you ok with him giving away?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    For me it’s the case at both places.

The rest of y’all can decide how many of your rights are ok for hogan to give away. My answer is zero. He gives away my rights here in md, he doesn’t get my vote.

How many of your rights are you ok with him giving away?

I understand and respect your position.

That said, you may recall a recent Virginia election that was decided by a toss of a coin. While it's not likely to happen in our gubernatorial election, it would be a sad day if it came to that because of people's annoyance with Hogan's go-slow policies.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    Hogan is in a tough position this election. I don't like rights given away either. I'm not saying I completely trust Hogan, just that sometimes you have to pick your battles. And I believe ANY democrat will slam dunk any anti-2A down our throats. If I'm still in MD come election Hogan is getting my vote. Fred55

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I understand and respect your position.

That said, you may recall a recent Virginia election that was decided by a toss of a coin. While it's not likely to happen in our gubernatorial election, it would be a sad day if it came to that because of people's annoyance with Hogan's go-slow policies.

If he signs any gun control legilation I'm not voting for him, period.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I find 2A positions to be an effective litmus test for a lot of other issues I care about . If we had two compeating viable candidates with both excellent 2A stances , then I would look at ( x, y, and z ) to decide.

Never say never. Hypothetically there could be a pro 2A candidate who was otherwise abhorrent, and I would instead vote for otherwise acceptable anti 2A candidate , but in 39 years of voting have yet to see that .

( Yes , there is the Buckley Rule , but that's different )

But I suspect in the imeadate future , the situation with Hogan will no longer be speculation, and is about to become real .

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    You'd chose death over a pin-prick and let a Liberal be governor. Then things will be much worst.

*puzzled*

So your ok with hogan giving away your rights?

Exactly how many of your rights is it ok for him to give away?

Bumpstocks and trigger devices are the first step to doing away with magazine fed semi autos, and everyone with a little foresight knows it. And it’s every antis wet dream. So let’s start there. Is it ok for hogan to give away your rights to inanimate objects such as bumpstocks?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    People who stay home and let Dems win are giving away our rights, and our money. Perfect is the enemy of the good, and people who stay home are enemies of the 2nd amendment.

I guarantee people will hate the next Dem gov worse, and it wont simply be guns. It will be taxes, and socialized medicine (see: California). Either a Dem will win, or Hogan will win. Its a binary choice. The governor controls the budget process - and the redistricting process to some extent. That's about it.

We can hate Hogan for signing bump stock legislation, if he does, but the fact is Trump is for it and has the ATF doing it. So is 1/2 the republican caucus. The NRA gave cover for this.

For bump stocks, best we can do is try to argue that with ATF rules, the legislation is moot. 2nd best we can do is try to make it less vague and force MDSP to write rules in COMAR for each new device banned. At least that way we can comment on each new device. MDSP has gotten out of control with all their guidance and rifles that are banned then not-banned. If MDSP wants to make law, they should go through the process. I hate the handgun roster, but at least we get a notice and comment period.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    One of my favorites from D.H. Lawrence

"Do not allow to slip away from you freedoms the people who came before you won with such hard knocks."

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    One of my favorites from D.H. Lawrence

"Do not allow to slip away from you freedoms the people who came before you won with such hard knocks."

Call and raise:

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.” (read long before GI Jane came down the pike)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom