Is the Molot Vepr 7.62x39 Hunting Rifle Banned in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I didn't see anything on the banned list saying that this rifle is banned. It seems to be legal in other States that have very prohibitive gun laws. This is imported as a hunting rifle. They have a different receiver than a standard AK, different barrel. They have heavy barrels and they don't take standard AK Magazines. I don't see any reason why this would be banned. AK is not in the name. This 7.62x39 looks like a good alternative to an AK.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/russian-vepr-762-39-16-wpa

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Yep, it is legal. How do i know? Im the proud owner of one myself, courtesy of Duffys. Its a beautiful gun, do yoursekf a favor and get one!

Attachments

• 20180504_181818.jpg
      20180504_181818.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 1,125

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    I cant remember with classic if they ship to MD or not. I know some places if its even kinda sorta looks like it could be banned they wont touch it. Hell, k-var/fime which import the damn things wont ship to MD. To answer the cost question, it was 950. However i had some trades where what i paid was far, far less. As far as handling goes, the thumbhole stock is actually super comfy, the butt pad is crazy grippy on clothes and me personally i love the heft, around 9.5lbs i believe. The ammo half the price of .223 is nothing to sneeze at either.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    There's online tutorials for fitting other stocks and handguards to them, including the Magpul Zhukov stuff.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I cant remember with classic if they ship to MD or not. I know some places if its even kinda sorta looks like it could be banned they wont touch it. Hell, k-var/fime which import the damn things wont ship to MD. To answer the cost question, it was 950. However i had some trades where what i paid was far, far less. As far as handling goes, the thumbhole stock is actually super comfy, the butt pad is crazy grippy on clothes and me personally i love the heft, around 9.5lbs i believe. The ammo half the price of .223 is nothing to sneeze at either.

I've ordered Veprs to MD from Classic before. If your FFL will accept it, then sweaty Ben will send it.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Anyone know if these will take AK furniture or "AK style" furniture?
    You might need to make some minor mods to the gasblock and you will need one of those slant adaptors, but otherwise it's fairly straightforward to convert one into something that cosmetically resembles an AK from 10 feet away or so.

The problem is that you'll always have that wide trunnion, the heavy RPK-width barrel, and the lack of an underslung cleaning rod to contend with, and so even in the best of all cases you're just going to end up with a mutt that only sort of looks like a proper AKM. Me, I like the stock furniture's ergonomics and so I've kept mine stock, but ymmv.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    There's online tutorials for fitting other stocks and handguards to them, including the Magpul Zhukov stuff.

Correct you just need an adapter (about $39.99) and you can fit standard stocks. There is also a fairly easy way to modify it to get it to accept standard mags not the proprietary ones. The only minus I can see is the heavy bull barrel which is heavier and not threaded.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    You might need to make some minor mods to the gasblock and you will need one of those slant adaptors, but otherwise it's fairly straightforward to convert one into something that cosmetically resembles an AK from 10 feet away or so.

The problem is that you'll always have that wide trunnion, the heavy RPK-width barrel, and the lack of an underslung cleaning rod to contend with, and so even in the best of all cases you're just going to end up with a mutt that only sort of looks like a proper AKM. Me, I like the stock furniture's ergonomics and so I've kept mine stock, but ymmv.

It's been quite awhile but I'm pretty sure a standard Russian/Bulgarian RPK gas block and front sight block will fit this barrel. So if you do that, and fix the slant cut rear you've got your RPK

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Also, it does have a threaded barrel. They all might not, but mine does. Has a pinned thread protector, which i admit im too nervous about taking the dremel to put a brake on it. Stays stock for now.

Money_B_85

Mar 30, 2017
    If I understand the MD Law, I could add a new Stock, grip and hand guard legally but no bullet guide to accept standard AK mags. Correct?

Sirex