• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    For those who don't know REI sells backpacking, biking, kayaks, outdoor clothing etc. I've been a co-op member since the 70's when they only did mail order. They have stores in Maryland.

This statement from their website:
    https://newsroom.rei.com/company-information/statements/rei-statement-on-relationship-with-vista-outdoor.htm

"REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month. In the last few days, we’ve seen such action from companies like Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart and we applaud their leadership.

This week, we have been in active discussions with Vista Outdoor, which has recently acquired several companies that are longtime partners of REI. These include Giro, Bell, Camelbak, Camp Chef and Blackburn. Vista also owns Savage Arms, which manufactures guns including “modern sporting rifles.”

This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action. As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds.

Companies are showing they can contribute if they are willing to lead. We encourage Vista to do just that."

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    So now if any part of a conglomerate sells guns they want to go after all the products they sell, from tents to coolers. I believe that statement should have read "We have decided to go out of our way to throw away a lot of business from our customers who are into the outdoors and do like guns."

Big box sporting goods chains suck anyways. All they do is suck the life out of locally owned businesses in exchange for a bunch of minimum wage shit jobs.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just don't see why rei, chase, etc feel the need to get into their customers', vendors', etc business. law enforcement is there if individuals or companies aren't operating within the law.

vista's 'plan of action' should be to maximize profitability and shareholder value, not limiting their own sales and curtailing production.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I’ve never heard of this company until I opened this thread, guess I really wasn’t missing much by not knowing of it either.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I’ve never heard of this company until I opened this thread, guess I really wasn’t missing much by not knowing of it either.

In the firearms industry, they were part of a class we often referred to as "Granola Bar Stores." If that sounds derisive, it's because it is. :)

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    They have always been a ProgLib comany. I'm a member, from my MTB days. They are a very customer friendly and helpful business. I don't buy from them mainly because of price. Now have have a bigger reason. They shall be getting an email this afternoon.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Cancelled my membership already and unsubscribed from all their mailings. While they have some decent camping gear, they were always a little expensive. Won't bother me a bit to never give them another dime.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    So now if any part of a conglomerate sells guns they want to go after all the products they sell, from tents to coolers. I believe that statement should have read "We have decided to go out of our way to throw away a lot of business from our customers who are into the outdoors and do like guns."

Big box sporting goods chains suck anyways. All they do is suck the life out of locally owned businesses in exchange for a bunch of minimum wage shit jobs.

I refuse to buy anything from Big box sporting good stores for EXACTLY that reason. When I walk into my LGS, the folks know who I am. They are always eager to help me. Most of those folks know their stuff and can give advice or suggestions. You won't find that in a Big Box.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    They sell a bunch of over priced fu fu hiking, camping and rock climbing gear. I received a gift card from there once and picked up a nice (way overpriced) Kershaw Ken Onion knife just to use the entire gift card. I wonder if they will ban selling those to the under 21 crowd.:sad20:

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    over priced and too yuppy for me, so never shop there anyway. I want a gun, I buy from LGS or private classifieds on the 2 forums I am on.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Surprising they would give up something like camelback. Are they still a thing?

I only go to REI if I have an immediate need for a carbon fiber spork.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    They sell a bunch of over priced fu fu hiking, camping and rock climbing gear. I received a gift card from there once and picked up a nice (way overpriced) Kershaw Ken Onion knife just to use the entire gift card. I wonder if they will ban selling those to the under 21 crowd.:sad20:

This^^^

The only time I have darkened the doors of their Columbia store I picked up an overpriced Fenix flashlight with mine. Nice flashlight, could have picked it up for about 30% less elsewhere.

mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    I shopped there every now and again for MTB stuff.. but it's been a few years since I bought anything and I don't need to do business with irrational/illogical business.

Cancelling my membership as well.

Mr H

Banana'd

Well, you just never know when one of those puffy coats is going to go on a rampage, and just warm up every child in sight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom