Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 31st, 2021, 12:57 PM #1

Garden Thread - 2021

It has been 20 years since we dabbled in gardening, but we have a good 1/2 acre of land in which to do it now. And we are here long term.

And wisdom or ideas?
Slackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2021, 03:06 PM #2

When we first moved to MD I didn't have much luck with growing summer squash/zucchini. The hot humid summers produced an insect population which killed off the plants soon after they reached maturity. Then I learned about the mochata family of squash, specifically Tromboncino, and haven't had any trouble since. I grow it on a trellis made from a cattle panel. We eat the small immature squash as summer squash and let some squash mature for winter squash and seed for next year. Excess goes to the cow and chickens. Note: the trellis is to keep it from sprawling and taking over the rest of the garden. If it sprawls on the ground it sends down new roots at the nodes and spreads rampantly.

I have a large asparagus patch which is very productive. I harvest half for a few months then switch and harvest the other half.

I also planted some semi-dwarf fruit trees. Most productive so far have been peaches and asian pears.

The point of bringing up the asparagus and fruit trees is that it takes 3 years to get a full harvest from asparagus and longer for the fruit trees, but produces a lot with minimal effort after the first years labor.
Growler215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2021, 03:44 PM #3

Not a farmer or even a gardener but wife likes to dabble a bit. Is it too early to start this stuff inside? I SERIOUSLY doubt she can transplant radishes.
Attached Images

JamesDong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2021, 04:56 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDong View Post
Not a farmer or even a gardener but wife likes to dabble a bit. Is it too early to start this stuff inside? I SERIOUSLY doubt she can transplant radishes.
Dont know what to tell you about the radishes. They grow so fast I've always just direct sown them. Maybe she's growing them as a pest prevention crop and wants them big enough to do that as soon as she puts them out? I've used Icicle radishes for that when growing melons. Afaik they can be transplanted but won't do much the first couple of weeks after being put out.

Maybe not too early for peppers - they're usually started 2-3 months before last frost date. That's around mid April where I am.

Only thing I've started so far is onions (from seed). Peppers are next though.
Old January 31st, 2021, 06:31 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler215 View Post
Dont know what to tell you about the radishes. They grow so fast I've always just direct sown them. Maybe she's growing them as a pest prevention crop and wants them big enough to do that as soon as she puts them out? I've used Icicle radishes for that when growing melons. Afaik they can be transplanted but won't do much the first couple of weeks after being put out.

Maybe not too early for peppers - they're usually started 2-3 months before last frost date. That's around mid April where I am.

Only thing I've started so far is onions (from seed). Peppers are next though.
I do most the cooking. Peppers and tomatoes are invaluable to me, most anything else is trash.
Old January 31st, 2021, 06:51 PM #6

What, no onions and garlic? I couldn't cook without those.

Actually I do most of the cooking too since I'm retired and the wife still works full time.

But we eat (and I grow) lots of different stuff. I don't grow shelling peas - seems like too much work for too little food. So post SHTF we will just have to do without. We'll still have snow peas and sugar snaps.

And one year I grew sweet potatoes and had a huge harvest, but no one wanted to eat them. So I won't be doing that again unless maybe we decide to raise a pig.
Old January 31st, 2021, 07:12 PM #7

Quote:

Actually I do most of the cooking too since I'm retired and the wife still works full time.

But we eat (and I grow) lots of different stuff. I don't grow shelling peas - seems like too much work for too little food. So post SHTF we will just have to do without. We'll still have snow peas and sugar snaps.

And one year I grew sweet potatoes and had a huge harvest, but no one wanted to eat them. So I won't be doing that again unless maybe we decide to raise a pig.
Sweet or Vidalia onions and mushrooms are cheap enough to buy. I use a LOT of tomatoes and some pepper in my chili so if that's all she plants and it grows it's a win. Garlic keeps both vampires and me away unless used in moderation.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:24 PM #8

Quote:

I've always suspected shelling peas to be more work than what they're worth but I'm giving it a go anyway.

Garlic is in the beds now. Will be planting radish, peas, turnips, beets, lettuce, carrots and other greens in the spring. Starting tomatoes and peppers indoors in another month or so. Will have a full 4x8 bed each of potatoes and onions. Can't wait.
mmerz914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2021, 04:56 AM #9
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

Whats the early crops everyone plants? Sugar snap peas is all I am thinking right now.

I won't be dropping seeds into trays until 3/1. Tomatoes, A bunch of Amish paste and green peppers
Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2021, 05:56 AM #10

In the front yard built 6 raised 8" beds 7 of them 4x8ft that we regularly rotate butternut/acorn squash, jalapenos, eggplant, zucchini, sunflowers, carrots. Everything but carrots and sunflowers we tend to get as seedlings later in the season, no room or time to start them indoors. We have one 1/2 bed (4x4ft) that's just strawberries and lavender. I've started planting a couple of flowers here and there to help attract pollinators as well as I think they're just pretty.

In the back yard we have an Asian pear, fuyu persimmon and 2 fig trees. Besides winter pruning, figs take care of themselves for the most part and produce really well. The pear and persimmon are self-pollinating and the hardest part is keeping the squirrels out. Got a sling shot to entertain myself trying to deter them but I can't catch them enough to save anything for long. They tend to go after the fruit in the summer when water is scarce. It's a fun and occasionally delicious hobby on my 1/4 acre just outside DC.

Much love from your token leftist.
No, I'm not a spy.
...or am I?
ElGato is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers