• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndltsdad

Nov 19, 2014
    Trappe... not Lakeside !
    so, I think/hope I'm about 2weeks out on the tax stamp coming in for a form 1 trust. The question is have you ever been questioned at a range or by R.O.
    I plan on making a copy of stamp to carry with me but didnt know if they would pull out tape and check you over or just make life difficult. didnt know how some ranges feel about sbr and suppressed stuff coming in. dont see why it would be any problem....

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    RSOs aren't the ATF or da POPO. Some think they are, but they are not.

They are there to enforce safety regulations. And to make certain your double rifle case with muzzles pointing in the opposite direction are pointed in the right direction.

They are not there to determine if your firearm is legally up to snuff.

Keep a copy with you. Plus take a picture on your phone.

Just in case

This... I always carry a hard copy of my form 4s/stamps plus pictures on my phone. Better safe than sorry.

I always do as stated above.
    When it comes to RSO's and the like, IF I was ever asked, I would show them the paperwork to keep the peace. However, I would not hand it to them to thoroughly inspect, photograph, copy, etc. They have no legal right to do so.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    A guy got carded once at myrtle grove by NRP for an SBR. Turned out bad. He had a stock on a pistol. It was not an SBR.

Not really sure what happened after the handcuffs went on.

2ndltsdad

Nov 19, 2014
    Trappe... not Lakeside !
    just trying to do things right, trying to avoid that pimple face kid at the dusty dark counter at the gun range that thinks he knows all the laws and wont let me shoot because of this or that...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I do both Phone pic/emailed stamp and hard copies. Neither are necessary but could save you time in the long run.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Not by an RSO, But I have been asked if I'm law enforcement or with an agency. :). I don't recall exactly what I was shooting. Probably something suppressed and black. :evilgrin3

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    Sheriff's deputy in Harford County came by to check on full auto fire about ten years ago. He never asked to see any paperwork and even fired a few magazines from the Sten gun before he left. I always tell my kids to employ the "it always pays not to be a jerk" strategy.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    RSO asked me to stop and check my Suppressed AR Pistol because he thought it was Full Auto. I’m guessing I got into a rhythm with the Echo Trigger and emptied a few 20 round mags rather quickly. However he never asked to see any documentation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, at Machine Gun Nest in Fredrick. The owner wouldn't let me shoot without showing him, kept trying to tell me it was the law for him to check. I am a FFL, and when I told him that he backed down from his 'it's the law" claims, but he still asked to see my FFL or tax stamp before letting me on the range.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ... I am a FFL, and when I told him that he backed down from his 'it's the law" claims, but he still asked to see my FFL or tax stamp before letting me on the range.

Yeah... that hole private property thing :). He many have no "right" to see it but you have no "right" to shot there either.

I have been checked at an indoor range. Never besides that. While I do agree you are not required, its probably a good idea when being realistic...

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The tax stamp paperwork is supposed to be shielded from demands that it be shown to anyone other than an ATF Agent, under taxpayer privacy laws, correct?

Yes, I know that could mean ejection or a failure to be admitted to a range, but just clarifying.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yeah... that hole private property thing :). He many have no "right" to see it but you have no "right" to shot there either.

I have been checked at an indoor range. Never besides that. While I do agree you are not required, its probably a good idea when being realistic...

Given the choice between complying and leaving, I'd probably just leave. But that's just me. Plenty of other places to shoot.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I was once asked by an RSO at The Machine Gun Nest if I had my tax stamp for my suppressor. I'd been there many times with the suppressor but this was the only time an RSO asked me about it. I did have a copy of it in my range bag and told him so. He did not ask to look at it. I got the impression he was just trying to make sure that I knew and followed the rules.

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom