• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    If you like microbrews and don't go to Baltimore occasionally you are missing out. Baltimore is a pretty good beer town. If you like live music there are not many choices in the suburbs. I enjoy both of those things. Just don't go to neighborhoods that you have no business in.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I live downtown in Patterson Park. I used to live a couple blocks east in Highlandtown, and a few west in Butchers hill. I worked on Cathedral st for a while at a job that took me all over the city, and currently work in the Natty Boh building in Canton. I have lived in Boston as well, in the North End.

Between the two, Boston is easily a nicer city, but it lacks the soul of Baltimore. Everyone up there is a cookie cutter of the next person. Baltimore is crazy, and a bit rough around the edges, but it definitely has it's good parts.

Like has been mentioned, Inner harbor and the sports teams are great, Fells point is a fun time on a friday night, as is Canton. if you have a dog, there are two dogparks, on in canton and another over by Sparrows point. Patterson park is a really dog friendly park, aside from the cops who yell at you over the mega phone, and they have awesome festivals and events and things to do.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Spoken with a very true MoCo bias! All cities and for that matter, counties, have bad areas. Have you been to Takoma Park, Wheaton, Germantown, and let's not forget Briggs Chaney near the Auto Park. I have been going in, to, and through, on foot, on the bus, light rail, subway and car, at all hours and have never, repeat never, had any trouble in Baltimore in my 53 years. Use common sense, don't be stupid, and if you can't do that, don't go into any city on this planet.

Congrats on your 53 year tenure in Baltimore but my MoCo bias is hardly a bias as I grew in Baltimore County through HS and even now working in the county I frequent the city for various work related reasons. Not a fat chance you can compare Wheaton or Silver Spring to say the western or southern (cherry hill). That is a far cry from the truth.

What is Wheaton's murder rate per capita?

Baltimore in a 10 year period death's almost equaled the total amount of soldiers lost in the military...and we were at "war".

I'll agree that most areas has it's bad parts however you can not say everywhere is as equal to Baltimore. It's just not the case.

By the numbers alone...you are far less likely to be harmed in some others compared to others. You are less/more likely to be a victim of theft in some area's compared to others.
    Well put. Go to Woodlawn bordering the city on Liberty Road, at night alone, you'll get the same elements say as in Park Heights Pimlico area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Oh and what is this common sense you speak of when it comes to being in the City? It doesn't exist, other than avoid certain areas, but that's simply a given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    This thread has shown there are good points in the city and some bad. Please continue arguing until the best points win. I will be watching and the winner will receive this in a handsome wood frame.

Attachments

• arguing-on-the-internet-police-academy.jpg
      arguing-on-the-internet-police-academy.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 129

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    It is mostly a s-hole. But it does have a soul, feels quite a bit more like a "real city" than D.C., commuter town. I miss Highlandtown, even if it was ghetto and dangerous. Watching the cat-sized rats brawl and the hookers on Conkling and Pulaski always had good stories! Hampden area is cool, Armistead Gardens is nice little hidden place, Canton is cool (even if it's yuppiefied), Fells, Greektown, Bayview, St Helena, Eastern ave are all cool places.

Plus Highlandtown has it's own Sons of Anarchy.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I agree with some Baltimore negatives and agree with some Baltimore positives. But D.C.? Come on. D.C. is a city without a soul filled with transient soulless blood suckers. At least Baltimore is full of REAL people, good bad or otherwise.

Obviously any MDS members and their families dwelling in D.C. are an exception to my blanket statement. :D

:tongue01:
    Actually you are somewhat correct. :(

Baltimore is like all American cities. There is good and bad. If you keep your savvy there will be no problem, probably.

The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    If you like microbrews and don't go to Baltimore occasionally you are missing out. Baltimore is a pretty good beer town. If you like live music there are not many choices in the suburbs. I enjoy both of those things. Just don't go to neighborhoods that you have no business in.

I agree.:beer: however more and more inhabitants of the neighborhoods you speak of are going in to areas they have no business in to rape and rob.

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    Baltimore is fun to live in. I don't turn on the news. I go outside and watch it!! One guy that used to work with me asked me, "Isn't Baltimore City dangerous"? I told him, "Yup, you just got to mind your own business and be aware of your suroundings". I think he thought I was some kind of wonder still being alive. I let him keep thinking I'm some kind of bad ass Supeman that survived the battlefiel Baltimore.

It really isn't that bad. I do hate the disrespect people show by throwing trash on the ground when there is a trash can 2 feet to the right. Complete disrespect.

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    goyn down the abenue hun.

It is mostly a s-hole. But it does have a soul, feels quite a bit more like a "real city" than D.C., commuter town. I miss Highlandtown, even if it was ghetto and dangerous. Watching the cat-sized rats brawl and the hookers on Conkling and Pulaski always had good stories! Hampden area is cool, Armistead Gardens is nice little hidden place, Canton is cool (even if it's yuppiefied), Fells, Greektown, Bayview, St Helena, Eastern ave are all cool places.

Plus Highlandtown has it's own Sons of Anarchy.

:beer::gun2::drool:

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    This area prepares blue crab like nowhere else. I love the soft shell crabs, the crab cakes, and you can't beat crabs by the bushel with tons of Old Bay. In fact, most seafood is really pretty good here.

That being said, the cheese steaks are mostly inedible down here. The hoagies (which people here call subs) are terrible, too. I have found a few decent places for pizza, like Strapazza (now Tino's) and Trattoria. Otherwise, what's that cheesy, saucy, and doughy mess that most places serve?

Upper Crust has a cheese steak that I will actually eat, but I can't tell you how many times I want to ask to go behind the counter and tell these huns at most other places how to at least make a cheese steak somewhat decently. I know that you're not going to get the right steak here, and you're not going to get Amoroso rolls, but it's really not that hard. :) Also, if they call it a steak-and-cheese, it's guaranteed to blow goats. And why would people call it a "cheese steak sub" since you don't call the other thing a "cheese burger sandwich"?

Sorry about the rant. I know people will respond with "There's a great cheese steak at so-and-so's and they're better than Philly!" But what can I say other than, "Eh..."

The crab products completely crush anything that tries to be comparable in southeast PA, and that's awesome, so I'm really not a hater of the area.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Went into Baltimore this morning on the light rail for a meeting on Calvert Street. 6 blocks both ways on foot from the light rail stop downtown, train passed through Cherry Hill coming and going, and I didn't get mugged, robbed, assaulted, stabbed or shot -sorry to disappoint you bad-mouthers of Baltimore!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Went into Baltimore this morning on the light rail for a meeting on Calvert Street. 6 blocks both ways on foot from the light rail stop downtown, train passed through Cherry Hill coming and going, and I didn't get mugged, robbed, assaulted, stabbed or shot -sorry to disappoint you bad-mouthers of Baltimore!

I dont think anyone here is saying you WILL have problems in the city...I think it's a you are MORE LIKELY to have issues in the city.

Stay alert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom