• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    Duck season is quickly approaching! Who else is going out on opening day!?

Last edited:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My son was reading recipes to me last night. Yes we are a little anxious.
    Unfortunately we missed the lottery due to poor planning, ie a phone call at 8:05 saying "Dad, I'm too late."

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    My son was reading recipes to me last night. Yes we are a little anxious.
    Unfortunately we missed the lottery due to poor planning, ie a phone call at 8:05 saying "Dad, I'm too late."

Dang....that is a bummer. This was my first year attending the lottery and I was the very last person to be called but I ended up walking away with a spot!

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    I'm assuming this is the blind site lottery you're talking about? How does it work exactly?

All you do is show up and when you number gets pulled you point on the map where you would like you spot to be. Then that spot is yours all season long. No need to call and try to reserve a spot.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    My friend Sean went out last weekend in Colorado and got a few. He took this picture of his lab. She's 12 and still going strong.

22096053_365150360590554_4861330409274027178_o.jpg

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Hey Bob,

I was down in VA with Chip Watkins and Manquincreek Outfitters.

Saw a bunch of ducks, took shots at a few (I suck because I missed), and it was quite the result of the morning after 9.

I have another trip set up for the day after Thanksgiving in NC.

I will let you know how it goes.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'll be out there on Saturday! What do you guys think the likely impact of this storm having just passed through will be? Maybe nothing since it's moving through today (Monday) and we can't hunt until Saturday. Looks like it will be in the 50s/60s on Saturday and probably pretty foggy on the water. Be safe everyone!

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    I'll be out there on Saturday! What do you guys think the likely impact of this storm having just passed through will be? Maybe nothing since it's moving through today (Monday) and we can't hunt until Saturday. Looks like it will be in the 50s/60s on Saturday and probably pretty foggy on the water. Be safe everyone!

I have been watching the weather all week thinking the same. I dont know how much this rain will effect them but the temperature worries me. Where I am it looks like it will be a low of 64 and high of 77....Looks like I am going to drop weight in sweat this week...:sad20:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I have been watching the weather all week thinking the same. I dont know how much this rain will effect them but the temperature worries me. Where I am it looks like it will be a low of 64 and high of 77....Looks like I am going to drop weight in sweat this week...:sad20:

Yeah, looking again, it looks like it will be more like the 70s by mid-morning. It feels totally gross and humid out today--not the best when you're wearing neoprene waders! I'm going to be in fresh water ponds near the Potomac, so most of the ducks are woodies and mallards that are still hanging out from the summer. I don't think tropical weather coming through will make them want to leave, but I don't really know that for a fact.

Question for the group--I'm planning to hunt a pressured area on Saturday. The last three years I've not bothered going to the water because it can sound like WW3 down there. Instead I sat in fields and took some passing shots. I got no ducks with this method but it was always fun to be out there anyway. This year I'm going to go down to the water very early to get a spot. Do you guys think it's worth bothering with decoys when there is so much shooting going on? I'm thinking of putting out a spread of 4-6 woodies and 2-4 mallards. Am I wasting my time with that? I realize it's hard to say without know exactly the set up. It's basically a marsh/small pond area. I know there are lots of ducks in there now because I stopped by last week.

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    Yeah, looking again, it looks like it will be more like the 70s by mid-morning. It feels totally gross and humid out today--not the best when you're wearing neoprene waders! I'm going to be in fresh water ponds near the Potomac, so most of the ducks are woodies and mallards that are still hanging out from the summer. I don't think tropical weather coming through will make them want to leave, but I don't really know that for a fact.

Question for the group--I'm planning to hunt a pressured area on Saturday. The last three years I've not bothered going to the water because it can sound like WW3 down there. Instead I sat in fields and took some passing shots. I got no ducks with this method but it was always fun to be out there anyway. This year I'm going to go down to the water very early to get a spot. Do you guys think it's worth bothering with decoys when there is so much shooting going on? I'm thinking of putting out a spread of 4-6 woodies and 2-4 mallards. Am I wasting my time with that? I realize it's hard to say without know exactly the set up. It's basically a marsh/small pond area. I know there are lots of ducks in there now because I stopped by last week.

I think its worth at least bringing the decoys. You can always keep them in the bag if needed. But with that being said I would probably use them because you want ducks to land where you are posted up, so having some inviting decoys would help with that.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    All I came home with this morning from the Potomac, but was able to drop both with one shot

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpg
      IMG_1496.jpg
      149.8 KB · Views: 143

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Limited out on woodies today, only saw a few mallards, non came close. We would of had more but 3 people dropped out on us. All in all a great day.

Attachments

• dhunt 10-14.jpg
      dhunt 10-14.jpg
      184.8 KB · Views: 140
    • dhunt 10-14a.jpg
      dhunt 10-14a.jpg
      147.3 KB · Views: 140
    • dhunt 10-14b.jpg
      dhunt 10-14b.jpg
      150.3 KB · Views: 140
    • dhunt 10-14c.jpg
      dhunt 10-14c.jpg
      166.8 KB · Views: 144

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    2 woodies and a mallard this morning. Saw a lot of birds but could not get them to commit.

Attachments

• FFAC4902-F945-42AE-BF8B-1E3C4AF77628.jpg
      FFAC4902-F945-42AE-BF8B-1E3C4AF77628.jpg
      155.5 KB · Views: 136
    • 83FA856D-3063-42C3-B88F-ACFF0E504C1B.jpg
      83FA856D-3063-42C3-B88F-ACFF0E504C1B.jpg
      166.7 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members