• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    hey all,

I am in the military and originally from MD. I am being told by several store owners that I can buy "Rifle-X" a non HBAR rifle from NC (my current duty station) and can legally bring it to MD when I am done with the military? Is this true? I am told registering is a volunteer only thing and there is nothing I can be charged with should I reside in MD.

Thank you!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    hey all,

I am in the military and originally from MD. I am being told by several store owners that I can buy "Rifle-X" a non HBAR rifle from NC (my current duty station) and can legally bring it to MD when I am done with the military? Is this true? I am told registering is a volunteer only thing and there is nothing I can be charged with should I reside in MD.

Thank you!
    As long as you legally buy it out of state per that state's laws, you can bring it to MD along with every other legal purchase (i.e. 30 rd mags, etc...). All of MD's dumb laws are about purchasing, to the best of my knowledge there aren't any possession rules you'd be breaking. If I'm wrong about that someone on this site will correct me quickly.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    As long as you legally buy it out of state per that state's laws, you can bring it to MD along with every other legal purchase (i.e. 30 rd mags, etc...). All of MD's dumb laws are about purchasing, to the best of my knowledge there aren't any possession rules you'd be breaking. If I'm wrong about that someone on this site will correct me quickly.

Nope...if it's brought after 2013 it's a no go in the State regardless of where it came from if it's a non HBAR "normal" AR-15. There is some conversation to be had if it's a piston rifle and different calibers.

Further I would think the FFL is wrong for selling an item you can't legally have in your home state.

Other wise we'd all head to PA and buy non HBAR's, normal TAVORS, and unmolested PS90's and bring them back.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Doesn't that only apply to MD residents purchasing out of state? If he's in the military I'm not sure how that affects his technical residency, but as long as he can be designated a non-MD Resident can't he buy out of state & bring in? Someone that's lived in Montana for 40 years can't bring his Montana bought AR to MD when he moves here? This might be where the "registration" could come into play?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's pretty simple. Rifles BANNED in MD cannot be brought into MD if they were purchased after FSA2013, cut and dry.

If you decide to do it, the burden of proof is on YOU, not the state.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Doesn't that only apply to MD residents purchasing out of state? If he's in the military I'm not sure how that affects his technical residency, but as long as he can be designated a non-MD Resident can't he buy out of state & bring in? Someone that's lived in Montana for 40 years can't bring his Montana bought AR to MD when he moves here? This might be where the "registration" could come into play?

If he owned it before 10/1/2013 he can bring it in. Otherwise it is illegal to bring it into the State of Maryland if you move here.

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017

that's what I was basically told. If I become a NC resident, I can buy any NC legal gun(everything ever made) and can then bring it to MD when im out of service. Does not matter that it was after 2013, the law is in place for MD residents regarding purchasing.

Literally crossing my fingers. Most MD compliant AR's just aren't cutting it for me.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Last edited:

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick

Only the one's owned prior to Oct. 1,2013 can be brought in by anyone except LEO & a FFL, except FFL 001, if I correctly recall FSA2013.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    that's what I was basically told. If I become a NC resident, I can buy any NC legal gun(everything ever made) and can then bring it to MD when im out of service. Does not matter that it was after 2013, the law is in place for MD residents regarding purchasing.

Literally crossing my fingers. Most MD compliant AR's just aren't cutting it for me.
    Bold Black: Law applies to everyone, not just MD residents.

Bold Red: Crossing your fingers you're not caught breaking the law if you bring a post 10/1/2013 bought banned rifle into Maryland?

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    next question, if I bring one in........how will they know if its post 2013? It's volunteer registration, I just wouldn't register it. how is any of this enforced? have you guys been in a situation where you had to prove you were rocking a HBAR?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    next question, if I bring one in........how will they know if its post 2013? It's volunteer registration, I just wouldn't register it. how is any of this enforced? have you guys been in a situation where you had to prove you were rocking a HBAR?

We don't discuss law breaking here

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD

It's not volunteer registration. You have 90 days to register any regulated weapon when you move here. Since a HBAR is not a regulated weapon it would not have to be registered. Handguns and anything that was regulated prior to 10/1/2013 and is now banned would have to be registered.

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    how is anyone to assume its not an HBAR? again.....I do not have to register the rifle because it is an presumed HBAR

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

The burden of proof in a court of law is going to be on YOU, not the state, to prove the rifle is not in the state illegally. Being found guilty means you lose the ability to legally buy/own firearms.

Everyone has to live their own lives, and everyone decides what risks their willing to accept.

**And now is a good time to remind everyone that in the forum rules, there's distinctly warnings about discussions on how to circumvent the laws of this state, even if we may not like them.

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    is there a company that specializes in selling JUST HBAR for MD compliance????? If not hell, lets start one right now. these rules are INSANE.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Anyone know if you can you inherit a banned firearm purchased after 2013 owned by a parent out of state . As in your parent living out of state purchases rifle in West Virginia in 2014 passes away in 2017. Can you inherit that firearm if you live in MD ? Or can you only inherent a firearm that was owned in the state before 2013 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom