• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Does anyone here have experience cc with one of those elastic belly band holsters? They seem to be good because they don't need to clip onto the belt or waistband of my pants, but I don't know how well they keep from printing. I want to carry a Bersa Thunder Ultracompact, which I think is a good candidate for these belly bands. Also, are they more comfortable than an IWB holster?
    thanks.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I've only worn mine around the house. Carrying a commander size RIA 1911. When wearing a robe I have it turned so that I'm carrying under the shoulder, in sweat pants carry at 5 o'clock. No one in the house ever noticed I was carrying. It can get a bit hot and uncomfortable after awhile, but not real bad. Also the one I bought (can't remember the band name) was way too big, so I folded over the opposite of the holster area and sewed three sides bottom and both sides, so now I have a built-in mag pouch.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    These are a very niche product , with extreme design trade offs .

" Belly " Band is a bit of a misnomer . They are frequently ( and best ) used positioned at waist level . Think IWB - ish , but self contained system .
    ( There is also a related variant , with an over the shoulder strap, with band worn around upper chest . Think those spandex shirts with built in holster, but with 2/3 of shirt missing.)

Pros :

Extremely concealable, especially with larger guns . I've had full size steel 1911 pattern disappear under a T shirt.

Can be worn under clothing that otherwise couldn't support an holster or belt. Think gym shorts, swim trunks, etc .

Cons :

Speed depends on context . Harder to draw than a proper belt or IWB . As good or better than most of the funky " unconventional " methods.

But the Big factor is ZERO capability to reholster. You are not only removing the band, but usually disrobing to rehololster.

Is that a dealbreaker? Ultimately that is up to you. But not a choice to be taken lightly . For me it's not worth the tradeoff when a "normal" holster with a reasonable size pistol could be used instead . But if you have need for extreme clothing choices, a full size in a BB vs a fanny pack or being unarmed is worth considering.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Bigfoot hit the major points in my opinion. Just a few things to add.

Belly bands seem to wear out quickly. I owned a few of them and found that the elastic usually broke down within a year or less.

They are more comfortable but less secure than an IWB. Carrying my Glock 22 it absolutely disappeared but I never felt comfortable running with that holster. My usual high ride belt holster and any IWB seemed much more secure.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I bought this for my Glock 43.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4HAZ5F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I bought it specifically for when I was coaching t-ball, but I also use it when running when it's cooler. It's only real use for me is when I'm wearing gym shorts. When I wear anything that has belt loops, I use a proper holster clipped to a belt. For me, the belly band isn't that comfortable, it's hot, and it's not easy to draw. I'm also kind of nervous with it because there's nothing rigid covering the trigger. It would take a dedicated effort to pull the trigger while the gun is in the pouch, but I feel like it could happen.
    I recommend getting it only if you have no other option. For me, this is during exercise or if I'm doing a lot of movement in shorts that I can't use a belt with.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Sooooo here's the scoop (without reading big foots post).

They are pretty decent but without a 2nd shirt they are uncomfortable. I used one for about 9 months while jogging in the woods. I had no fear that my gun was gonna flop out. At the time I was carrying a LCP. It takes a little more effort to grab the gun than usual but not undoable. They don't last that long though cuz it's essentially a towel/holster soaking up your sweat. Hardly and printing with a gun that small but it is kinda unnatural feeling. We are used to belts not holster corsets lol. Wouldn't be my EDC choice but does get the job done.

I've said it 100 times I've not found a better way to carry a subcompact than the clip draw.

Edit------I see I touched on some of Bigfoot post but I'll disagree on two things. A full sized 1911 in one should be as obvious finding out who farted in the elevator. It has to be worn at the top of the stomach to be comfortable and the ability to reholster shouldn't be a concern in my opinion.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With full size gun, I wore it similar position as an IWB at 4:30 . Actual belly carry would indeed require a mini sized gun.

They wear out . They are inexpensive . Think of them as consumable to be periodically replace. These aren't heirlooms .

And of course subtle differences in body shape effect comfort, prefered positioning & etc . Ironically less so than with IWB .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    With full size gun, I wore it similar position as an IWB at 4:30 . Actual belly carry would indeed require a mini sized gun.

They wear out . They are inexpensive . Think of them as consumable to be periodically replace. These aren't heirlooms .
    Work gave us some. I should have marketed the one with shoulder straps. But another FAM beat me to it. We were modifying these things years ago before anyone really knew about them.
    Most wore them high up on the chest to hold cuffs, extra mags, and creds. Less shit you have to sit on. Carrying the P229 was tough enough on 8,10,15 hour flights.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Worthless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Work gave us some. I should have marketed the one with shoulder straps. But another FAM beat me to it. We were modifying these things years ago before anyone really knew about them.
    Most wore them high up on the chest to hold cuffs, extra mags, and creds. Less shit you have to sit on. Carrying the P229 was tough enough on 8,10,15 hour flights.
    Confused, worthless or adequate in some situations? The posts seem contradictory?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yeah I get it. The only time I wear elastic spandex under another shirt is in the winter time when I'm hunting. I am trying to envision myself wearing that while I'm exercising and I can't.

Besides when I pull up my shirt to show people my ripped abs when I'm hot and sweaty, usually I charge a lot for that .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom