• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If saltwater, watch your tackle choices and your hands both around bluefish. Their teeth are all business.

This is my second warning, so I plan to pack a pair of grippy gloves, and use them if I catch any fish with spines or teeth.

Hoping this will do:

promotional-rubberized-gloves.jpg

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    doubt it

you will get stuck eventually

its all about learning

If there are better gloves let me know. I have police gloves, but I think that would be overkill.

The gloves I posted should provide plenty grip, and some decent protection. Looks like these gloves are most highly rated, and only cost 2x to 10x the price; but honestly I see no difference.

2.Rapala-Marine-Fisherman-Glove-293x300.jpg

Wasn't thinking about wearing gloves, but now this makes a lot of sense, especially when I get started, and don't yet know which fish are have sharp teeth or spines. Another great tip, thx!

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    DON'T START FISHING! You think GUNS are expensive???

I'm not sure I can add much but spending time with a friend that fishes is a great place to start.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    If there are better gloves let me know. I have police gloves, but I think that would be overkill.

The gloves I posted should provide plenty grip, and some decent protection. Looks like these gloves are most highly rated, and only cost 2x to 10x the price; but honestly I see no difference.

Wasn't thinking about wearing gloves, but now this makes a lot of sense, especially when I get started, and don't yet know which fish are have sharp teeth or spines. Another great tip, thx!

i wouldnt worry about it, just use your hands, be careful, listen to your friend and have fun

oh and it is called fishing, not catching.............

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    DON'T START FISHING! You think GUNS are expensive???

I'm not sure I can add much but spending time with a friend that fishes is a great place to start.

Holy cow, I was just thinking that this morning, when I found a reel that cost almost $700 !!!

Haven't even made my first cast, but, will take your advice and just stick with what I have now, if it appears its becoming an addiction, I'll give away everything, move to a small island, and fish the rest of my life away.

OMG, I"m hooKed!

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Holy cow, I was just thinking that this morning, when I found a reel that cost almost $700 !!!

Haven't even made my first cast, but, will take your advice and just stick with what I have now, if it appears its becoming an addiction, I'll give away everything, move to a small island, and fish the rest of my life away.

OMG, I"m hooKed!

and you will find brands you like
    for me its penn reels and st croix rods

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes

OMG, I"m hooKed!

Wait til you get into fly fishing, then Tenkara.....

Fly rods aren't just for trout. I've caught 39 species of fish on a fly.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    This is my second warning, so I plan to pack a pair of grippy gloves, and use them if I catch any fish with spines or teeth.

Hoping this will do:

Not something you'd need initially, and you'll learn about the toothy varieties from your fishing buddy. Not so much gloves, because you don't want your hands gloved or otherwise near the business end of a bluefish mouth. They make extended reach stainless fishing pliers for a number of reasons, and a gaff is the ticket for landing large blues because they'll quickly destroy a net. Teeth and swallowed hooks and leverage are all reasons that make the pliers tool handy.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    If saltwater, watch your tackle choices and your hands both around bluefish. Their teeth are all business.

I've heard people comment that if bluefish had a taste for people, no one would ever go swimming again.

Speaking of which, Saturday morning looks like the best day this weekend. Just sayin'...

Wait til you get into fly fishing, then Tenkara.....

Fly rods aren't just for trout. I've caught 39 species of fish on a fly.

Spreading the word :thumbsup:. I need to do some catching up, I'm probably only at about 10 species.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I've heard people comment that if bluefish had a taste for people, no one would ever go swimming again.

Speaking of which, Saturday morning looks like the best day this weekend. Just sayin'...

Spreading the word :thumbsup:. I need to do some catching up, I'm probably only at about 10 species.

:thumbsup: It depends how my Friday evening with the boat goes. I might have to look at a Monday am trip.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Hit up a pond and land some bluegil. Good way to break your hands in ;)
    Just need a small book and some bread. You can pluck them out nonstop.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Hoping this will do:

2.Rapala-Marine-Fisherman-Glove-293x300.jpg

These "fish Off" gloves are very effective, especially during a light tackle jigging bluefish blitz. Plus, you are supporting "the local guy".

100_0503.jpg

http://paxriverproducts.com/?p=24#more-24

doubt it

you will get stuck eventually

its all about learning

I just put a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the boat's first aid kit, which was a tip that I read in a recent issue of the CCA (Coastal Conservation Association) magazine. The bay is full of some really nasty stuff, and if you get spined by a rockfish or white perch in the wrong stretch of water, it could be very debilitating.
    https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemiology/DEE/Waterborne/skininfections.htm

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

Hoping this will do:

Growing up, we caught everything from spot to rockfish and never used anything but our bare hands to hold the fish. Getting stabbed is part of the game and washing it in salt water was the best (and only) solution.

We always had decent gear and fresh bait. Worms or cut bait fish. It really comes down to picking good spots. No good fisherman will tell you where they are biting.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Growing up, we caught everything from spot to rockfish and never used anything but our bare hands to hold the fish. Getting stabbed is part of the game and washing it in salt water was the best (and only) solution.

We always had decent gear and fresh bait. Worms or cut bait fish. It really comes down to picking good spots. No good fisherman will tell you where they are biting.

I don't mind getting stabbed, as you say, it's part of the game. However, there is a lot of nasty stuff in the bay these days, so it's probably best to avoid getting that water in the open wound.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I don't mind getting stabbed, as you say, it's part of the game. However, there is a lot of nasty stuff in the bay these days, so it's probably best to avoid getting that water in the open wound.

I guess it depends on what you consider a "wound".

If I'm willing to eat fish from the bay then I sure don't have an issue rinsing a little cut in that water. My comment regarding the gloves was more sarcastic as my old man would mock anyone wearing them. He comes from a little island in Greece and his father was a professional fisherman. He has a solid 60+ years fishing experience without any "wound" issues. He tastes the water to make sure it's clean enough to fish. Old school.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I guess it depends on what you consider a "wound".

If I'm willing to eat fish from the bay then I sure don't have an issue rinsing a little cut in that water. My comment regarding the gloves was more sarcastic as my old man would mock anyone wearing them. He comes from a little island in Greece and his father was a professional fisherman. He has a solid 60+ years fishing experience without any "wound" issues. He tastes the water to make sure it's clean enough to fish. Old school.

I didn't mean that you need to be out there in a bio-hazard suit, just that it might not be the best idea to wash a cut with bay water.

Also, I don't think the things that you need to worry about from eating fish are the same as what you need to worry about from direct contact with the bloodstream. I don't wear any extra protective gear when fishing either, I'm just pointing out the concerns about bacteria in the bay. Chances are you'll be fine, but I avoid intentionally exposing an open cut to the water in the bay, just like I filter stream water before drinking because I really don't want to experience Giardia.

Here's one example of why not to do that. In the grand scheme of things, it's not affecting that many people, but I don't want to be one of them if I can avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom