• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Hello,

I am currently looking for permission from Land Owners in and around Frederick County to target shoot and / or hunt rabbits, squirrels, game birds with a Bird of Prey.

- The private range I am a member of only has a 300 yard rifle berm So I am looking for some one with enough acreage, and would allow me to SAFELY practice target shooting at further distances (500-1000 yards) with my son.

- I am also a Licensed General Class Falconer and am always looking for land to bring my Hawk out to hunt rabbits. Tall grasses, wild over grown fields with brambers / wood piles.

If someone with property is willing to allow me to use it for these purposes, we can work out a per visit or annual compensation if needed.

I have references and am willing to fill out liability waivers, background checks as well.

308 shortaction custom REM700.jpg

fiddle and me.jpg

fiddle and me2.jpg

Sincerely
    Christopher Swann

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Pm me if your ever in Dorchester county. You are the first person I ever seen that would hunt with a falcon. I know of a guy in Wilmington that owns one but I don't know if he hunts with it. I was reading last years regs and I thought to myself I wonder how many are still around that hunt with a bird of prey. I was always fascinated with it but never looked into apart from reading about falconers in the Basque region of Spain.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Yes, there are not many Falconers around.... but still more than what you would think. At least in Maryland. Most older Falconers are very private, along with having to get one to apprentice under for 2 years makes it even harder, on top of the Federal Exam and Facilities/husbandry requirements.... but still way worth it!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    What about PA or western Md. Near the mountains would that be better hunting with a bird of prey or could it be more difficult? I lived near Hawk Mountain and talked to old timers about the huge migrations that would occur there. Once I found in a cave young hawks being guarded by the female with her wing stretched out across them. When the boys were young they were climbing through this rock slide at the rear of the property and stumbled across them looking for some places to trap. They thought they were coyotes cornered back in there but when we crawled in some it was amazing what we saw. So we backed out right quick. It was funny now that I think about it but I'm guessing that's where they go? They were hawks I'm sure of, not falcons but maybe the habits are the same I don't know. Interesting.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    What about PA or western Md.Interesting.

I dont want to have to spend the day driving... Im close to the PA border... but hunting their means I have to get a temp permit through PA's DNR for my hawk ect ect....

I had a couple places to hunt with my hawk here in frederick..but it seems every year I loose one.. owners sell their land and freakin town homes, or nursing homes pop up... Crumb-land farms for instance as well as Mr. Naturals nursery.

I've always wanted to do some Ridge trapping durring the migration on hawk mountain.. I just don't know anyone up that way, wouldn't know where to go.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Theres a few decent places on each side of the mountain that are SGl.'s. Look in between rt 61 and PA 309. A little bit of a drive but just east of Hamburg. From town follow old 22 east and turn left on the road that takes you to Kempton. Had right towards the mountain past the gunmaker. At the top of the road is the sanctuary but SGl.'s all around. People will also let you hunt/trap but it could be tough around there because the dutch are hard competition. There is also a road that goes over that turns to dirt just east of there that intersects the Appalachian trail at the top and is SGl, Its called lizard creek on the Schuylkill side. In the valley is a civil air patrol facility surrounded by sgl that is a good spot. Lot of bears around there too especially towards 309 and Tamaqua.
    I seen the biggest red fox I ever seen deer hunting some of that, not like the little dumb ones that are all over the place where I live now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom