• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbiggirl

Jul 28, 2017
    I have a small group of 4 guests who are interested in a private half day to one day class. Northern VA, or Montegomery county. Just some basic safety and training then range time. I would like to have them try various handguns and rifles, maybe shotguns. If instructor has previous military background or served in special forces, swat etc, it will be a big plus (sorry, clients asked :banghead:) If anyone is interested, could you please email me your quote at j p y u E 80 at gm ail dot co m

Thanks

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    . If instructor has previous military background or served in special forces, swat etc, it will be a big plus (sorry, clients asked :banghead:) If anyone is interested, could you please email me your quote at j p y u E 80 at gm ail dot co m

Thanks

Nothing wrong with wanting an instructor with specific firearms training and experience. Most people should prefer that if their interest is self defense.

What do you mean by "clients"?

bigbiggirl

Jul 28, 2017
    Nothing wrong with wanting an instructor with specific firearms training and experience. Most people should prefer that if their interest is self defense.

What do you mean by "clients"?
    they are visiting for a conference in fall and want to learn firearms basics and some range time.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Hi to OP.

As an instructor I would offer you some observations and questions.

1) Many ranges have instructor to student ratios. At the two ranges I shoot and instruct at that ratio is set at one instructor for each two students. If you plan to participate as a student that will require three instructors. If not, two.

2) Regardless of range requiremnts instructors often impose their own ratio. Mine is one to two. The reason is simple: I cannot supervise the behavior of more than two students at a time. If the instructor has one student at a time on the firing line there will be a lot of student time spent standing around "observing." The amount of time required to give each student time on the firing line, multiplied by multiple firearm systems, means that a significant amount of time will be spent on the range.

3) If your clients are entirely or overwhelmingly new to firearms the amount of time required to cover critical aspects of safety, including classroom exercises, will be substantial.

Thoughts:

1) You might, in conjunction with the instructor you contract with, review and pare down your "course offering" to account for the time constraints and level of prior knowledge. It may be that one of your goals might be to assist participants in determining that they are interested in--and in need of--more expansive training. It kind of comes down to whether you're dealing with those aspiring to be competent with firearms, or firearms tourists.

2) According to your criteria I am not a candidate to be your instructor. In light of that disclaimer may I make one additional observation? When I am doing a class of students new to firearms I require them to do the NRA eLearning (phase 1) portion of the Basic Pistol Course. It covers a great deal of the "between the ears" material that is a good foundation to moving to the hands on portion of the learning process. I can then use classroom time, which is at a premium, to get into the physical side of firearm safety and and operation. Range time then builds on that.

Just some grist for the mill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom