• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    I am curious about the Biltmore... I was just reading some other forums where people were saying that there was no signage prohibiting firearms. (Granted, it was from a year or so ago). How recently were you there and did they have the no firearms signs up or only scanners/detectors? I looked on their website ans saw nothing regarding firearms. We will be visiting there soon and would def like to know.

If youre going to Biltmore, be advised they now have a scanner/detector at the front door. Ask me how I know...or don't.

Enjoy your trip.

Gunny1

Senior Citizen Member
    Welcome to NC. I carry here daily. The important things to watch for are the “posted” no weapons signs on some merchants and please if addressed by a LEO let them know you are CCW first thing as they can be jumpy (rightfully so).

I moved here from Maryland two years ago. The above is all you need to know.

My friends from MD who visit me have had no problems with their Utah permit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The statute says you must disclose. It doesn't say anything about waiting for the LEO to ask for ID.

If you wait you could be in trouble.

Attachments

• nc.jpg
      nc.jpg
      32.1 KB · Views: 139

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    I thought duty to inform was only triggered once they ask for ID?

Per my CLEO (County Sheriff) when addressed by any LEO inform that you’re CCW and you have a permit. Follow his or her’s instructions from there. In this State the first duty is to inform when addressed.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I should have been more specific. I will be in OBX and western NC via motorcycle. My Utah permit I am still waiting on, so my only option is open or none. When I talked to the law in NC, I was told permitless non resident open was fine, in non restricted areas of course. I'm still nervous about it though. I have serious BGOS

If I had known that my Utah permit was going to be 90 days, I would have just done NH.

Last edited:

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    I'll be in NC in the coming weeks and I have been reading up. This confused me....look at the prohibitions here. Specifically 8 and 10. They seem to condradict each other?? Can anyone explain this? I assume it's OK to carry during a pee break at a rest stop after reading #10, but why is #8 posted??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180624-111617.jpg
      Screenshot_20180624-111617.jpg
      103.4 KB · Views: 80

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My read is that if the rest stop is along the highway, it's legal. If in a park for instance, not legal

Note the specificity of where legal

Attachments

• nc.JPG
      nc.JPG
      22.2 KB · Views: 78

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It’s not vague. It states you can carry in a rest area along a highway. How is that vague?

If it makes you uncomfortable, lock the gun up according to FOPA

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    It’s not vague. It states you can carry in a rest area along a highway. How is that vague?

If it makes you uncomfortable, lock the gun up according to FOPA

Paint me ignorant, but what else is considered a 'rest stop'? I know them as those pull-offs along the highway, where else are they if not a highway? To me, that's vague and open to question.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There are rest areas in parks and other locations. So if it’s a rest area alongsideca highway, you’re ok. If in doubt, lock up the firearm. They are giving you a legal way if ccw while traveling

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    Understood. But.....I read that state parks are OK, just not the offices or visitor centers. Says nothing about what is considered a 'rest area/stop'. I guess I can't use the shitter in the visitor centers...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If it has a bathroom, it would be considered a rest area IMO. But if it's a state park, it's not alongside a highway as allowed by the statute.

You can go to the bathroom.

If you are that worried, disarm before going in.

This is not that complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom