• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Stumbled across a M1D at a shop that I am considering taking another look at.
    First thing I noticed was the parkerizing was very black,not thin Greek black but more the color of 50's SA Garands but darker, has anyone seen these with a very black repark?
    What do I look for to determine if the scope is real or a repro, or the mount for that matter? Scope was clear.
    The stock looks like pictures I've seen of the M1D's, could not see any cartouche, may have been under the cheek rest.
    Thanks for any input.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I own a M1D, but i'm no expert.

There is also a number stamped on the barrel that will help you determine if its legit. The number is under the furniture. I can take a pic of mine later if it helps.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thanks for everyones input, I did post on CMP also and it could have a dark black park. Does not look like I can afford it at this time so if anyone is interested it's at Freedom Armory in Glen Rock Pa, they are asking 2995.00 which is reasonable for a M1D, does not look like it has had more than a clip or 2 thru it.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for everyones input, I did post on CMP also and it could have a dark black park. Does not look like I can afford it at this time so if anyone is interested it's at Freedom Armory in Glen Rock Pa, they are asking 2995.00 which is reasonable for a M1D, does not look like it has had more than a clip or 2 thru it.

A lot of the Service grade M1Ds that CMP sells have been reparked dark, including in the chamber. I believe those are Greek. Considering you can get a Service grade M1D from CMP for $1,500, I don't think $3000 is reasonable unless the thing is in really good original shape and/or has a scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    It has all the accessories including the scope, the 1500 CMP ones have nothing.
    M1D's on Gunbroker usually go for over 4K which is why I was interested in this one.
    It's not the Greek black which almost looks like a paint,input from CMP forum says that some of the repark M1D's were black, all M1D's are arsenal rebuilt,I had just never seen one this black before,more used to grey.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    What type scope is mounted??? M84?? If so, does it have the scope serial # plate on the scope??? Is the mount base that is located on the barrel secured properly to the barrel and staked???

It's hard to determine a real deal gun from a bogus put together gun unless I can examine it in my own hands.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    What type scope is mounted??? M84?? If so, does it have the scope serial # plate on the scope??? Is the mount base that is located on the barrel secured properly to the barrel and staked???

It's hard to determine a real deal gun from a bogus put together gun unless I can examine it in my own hands.

I agree - at that price, my bet is on a commercial repro. A true M1D with real M84 and base would be closer to $4k if not more.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD

It is a M84 with serial number plate and pretty sure it was the white paint in embossed numbers instead of the Chinese knockoff silver paint but would need to take a second look.
    The rifle at initial glance looked legit to me except for the black park, have now found several examples online with the black park.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I have one in black and one in the grey park, both from cmp.

Real mounts run between 200-250.

M84's are close to 800+ now.

The barrel drawing number should tell you if it's a real m1d barrel.

Flashiders are in the 200 range. I have not priced real stock pads.

add it all up and one put together from real parts is close to 3000. Real parts are key, especially the scope mount. None of the repros work. Trust me I've tried.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    all M1D's are arsenal rebuilt.

I'm not sure that this is 100% accurate but it raises a good point. All M1Ds were converted from standard infantry rifles to a sniper version by adding the mount base and replacing the hand guard, and most of those were done after WW2. (The M1C was a purpose built sniper from the receiver up, which is why they cost so much more). So, every M1D has seen an armorer and many would have been rebuilt/refurbed at that time as necessary.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    to pick nits, I'd call the m1d's arsenal built not arsenal rebuilt. After all they weren't a D before the trip to the arsenal.

Both my Black M1d and my Greenish M1d are from cmp
    Both rifles have chambers in the white

Most repop M1d's are not built with M1d barrels. Real M1d barrels do not have the cutout for the handguard clip. That's probably a good marker to id a real one.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    to pick nits, I'd call the m1d's arsenal built not arsenal rebuilt. After all they weren't a D before the trip to the arsenal.

Both my Black M1d and my Greenish M1d are from cmp
    Both rifles have chambers in the white

Most repop M1d's are not built with M1d barrels. Real M1d barrels do not have the cutout for the handguard clip. That's probably a good marker to id a real one.

I helped my brother pick his M1D at this year's CMP eastern games. He got a 1945 SA receiver with a 1953 (or 1951 - can't remember) SA barrel. The chamber is in the white but many that were available had black parked chambers.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Hmmm....did I see you there? I always have a hard time matching people to their internet personalities.

Did you spend time with the AAFG guys?

I don't know. I was there on Saturday and met and spoke with a lot of folks. My brother Josh is friends with a few guys that were there who belong to a local gun club. We watched some of the range work but mostly hung out by the sales tent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom