• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    As some of my friends are getting into guns. They keep asking me why Maryland gun laws are the way there are. Why is this gun banned but not that gun. Is there any better answer then simply “most gun laws don’t make sense and they’re arbitrary”

Is there a better answer? Thank You!

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    As some of my friends are getting into guns. They keep asking me why Maryland gun laws are the way there are. Why is this gun banned but not that gun. Is there any better answer then simply “most gun laws don’t make sense and they’re arbitrary”

Because Maryland is trying to become a Statist utopia (well on their way), and they don't care on how many law abiding citizen rights they trample.

Maryland progressives want to control every aspect of your life.

They want NO guns in the hands of citizens.

They (think) know better than you.

:sad20:

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    The folks who make gun laws hate guns and gun owners. They believe ALL guns are bad and should be banned. But they understand nothing about guns and won't even talk to those who do.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Imagine going through the effort of tracking down a Amazonian River tribe who have never seen an outsider or any technology. Now give the village elder a copy of "Road and Track" magazine, and ask him to identify the dangerous cars. Write a law banning those cars.

Much the same process for getting a politician to write any law banning guns.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    In Maryland? They are arbitrary, based on a cut-and-paste of California laws (that managed to ban Olympic target pistols), changed by a General Assembly most of whom are utterly ignorant of firearms.

One of my fondest dreams is requiring legislators to pass a written examination on current law and firearm technology before being allowed to discuss or vote on gun laws.

HarryLogan

HarryLogan, also known as MesWoore
    Jan 16, 2020
    While I'd like to agree that these politicians are uniformed and ignorant, I don't believe this is the case. They know EXACTLY what they are doing. And if you don't know who "they" are, then bless your heart.

Edit: To emphasize, the laws are arbitrary, but there is nothing arbitrary about what they are doing.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Imagine going through the effort of tracking down a Amazonian River tribe who have never seen an outsider or any technology. Now give the village elder a copy of "Road and Track" magazine, and ask him to identify the dangerous cars. Write a law banning those cars.

Much the same process for getting a politician to write any law banning guns.

Great analogy

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    All correct. Plus, those making these laws are mostly led by emotion and ideology, not logic and facts.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The correct answer is that the ******* politicians in Annapolis want to make ALL guns illegal in Maryland. They are content to take away whatever they can whenever they can. They are very patient and what your friends are actually seeing is an incomplete job.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    The correct answer is that the ******* politicians in Annapolis want to make ALL guns illegal in Maryland. They are content to take away whatever they can whenever they can. They are very patient and what your friends are actually seeing is an incomplete job.

A**holes everywhere are insulated by being associated with Maryland Democrats.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

read this https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=79715

and understand most so-called evidence is started with the conclusion in mind and then they cherry pick the data to fit the conclusion.

Also, you need to understand that Maryland has a culture of showboating - claiming to pass laws so that can show special interests that they did something, but the laws in many cases are all dog and pony show. Ultimately if they were serious, we would be Commiefornia or NJ. This seems to be deep rooted in MD culture.

vmc_jap

Aug 5, 2012
    Awesome idea... I would add taking and passing the practical test (firing at a b-27 target)... preferably with the firearms they believe the populace are allowed to have.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    While I'd like to agree that these politicians are uniformed and ignorant, I don't believe this is the case. They know EXACTLY what they are doing. And if you don't know who "they" are, then bless your heart.

Edit: To emphasize, the laws are arbitrary, but there is nothing arbitrary about what they are doing.

This.

But I would add that many of the peculiar exceptions come from amendments and compromises inserted to get the legislation through.

Thus most of us have piles of perfectly legal 30 round magazines bought out of state for our HBAR ARs, and as Designated Collectors, we can buy as many handguns as we want.

The legislators don't care about the rationality or effectiveness of the laws. For one thing, they just want to tell their Low Information constituents that they "did something," and secondly, they know that incrementalism is on their side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom