• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Good evening all. I need a question answered with a definite answer. As many knows, factory Glocks have the serial number stamped on the frame, barrel, and slide. If someone replaces the barrel and slide with an aftermarket barrel and slide, can the original, factory barrel and slide be sold to someone else or do they have to be registered as well? I know that the frame is considered the firearm, but how does it work with the barrel and slide since the same serial number is stamped on them as is on the frame? My guess is that the slide and barrel doesn’t matter because if you buy a replacement frame from Glock, the serial number isn’t going to match the numbers on your factory original the barrel and slide.
    Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The frame is what matters. The rest is just parts. Buy and sell at will.

This goes for all Firearms. It's just a matter of which part is considered the firearm. On the Ruger mk series, it is the barrel assembly.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    The frame is what matters. The rest is just parts. Buy and sell at will.

This goes for all Firearms. It's just a matter of which part is considered the firearm. On the Ruger mk series, it is the barrel assembly.

That’s what I believe as well. I’m trying to get a definite answer for a co worker who is unsure of the law and doesn’t want to do the wrong thing by selling them.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    That’s what I believe as well. I’m trying to get a definite answer for a co worker who is unsure of the law and doesn’t want to do the wrong thing by selling them.

Think about what you’re asking.

How many 80% pistols are right now sporting Glock barrels and slides?

ALL of those would be illegal IF the barrel or slide was “a firearm” by ATF rules.

The Glock pistol frame is the firearm. That is what he can’t sell without an FFL.

Sell the barrel and/or slide. No laws broken.

The only possible issue... could be later.
    Say... the barrel/slide with serial number is attached to an 80% frame... An uneducated person could confuse the number on the barrel/slide as being the serial number for that 80% firearm. That could cause issues for that person in the time it would take for the error to be remedied. Get a Bill of Sale.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Good evening all. I need a question answered with a definite answer. As many knows, factory Glocks have the serial number stamped on the frame, barrel, and slide. If someone replaces the barrel and slide with an aftermarket barrel and slide, can the original, factory barrel and slide be sold to someone else or do they have to be registered as well? I know that the frame is considered the firearm, but how does it work with the barrel and slide since the same serial number is stamped on them as is on the frame? My guess is that the slide and barrel doesn’t matter because if you buy a replacement frame from Glock, the serial number isn’t going to match the numbers on your factory original the barrel and slide.
    Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

You can sell the slide, barrel and anything else from a Glock with a number on it save the frame without issue. These items are stamped due to European and other countries law regarding serial numbers and it is easier for Glock to meet the most strict requirements and sell the same product worldwide.

The barrel and slide are not registered items. Dispose of them as you see fit. I assure you it is not illegal to have a numbered slide or barrel and do as you please with it.

Matt

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth

ALL of those would be illegal IF the barrel or slide was “a firearm” by ATF rules.

The Glock pistol frame is the firearm. That is what he can’t sell without an FFL.

Say... the barrel/slide with serial number is attached to an 80% frame... An uneducated person could confuse the number on the barrel/slide as being the serial number for that 80% firearm. That could cause issues for that person in the time it would take for the error to be remedied. Get a Bill of Sale.

RoadDawg I was pretty certain that the numbers on the barrel and slide didn’t matter, but I had to get a definite answer for a co worker before he would sell a slide and barrel he has. MD gun laws have law abiding citizens like him who doesn’t know all of the ins and outs about MD gun laws question everything gun related. I can’t say that I blame him. Thank you for your answer. Hafer’s gunsmithing replied to me last night and answered the question for me. Great group of people at Hafer’s.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    RoadDawg I was pretty certain that the numbers on the barrel and slide didn’t matter, but I had to get a definite answer for a co worker before he would sell a slide and barrel he has. MD gun laws have law abiding citizens like him who doesn’t know all of the ins and outs about MD gun laws question everything gun related. I can’t say that I blame him. Thank you for your answer. Hafer’s gunsmithing replied to me last night and answered the question for me. Great group of people at Hafer’s.
    The numbers on the barrel and slide DO NOT MATTER.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    You can sell the slide, barrel and anything else from a Glock with a number on it save the frame without issue. These items are stamped due to European and other countries law regarding serial numbers and it is easier for Glock to meet the most strict requirements and sell the same product worldwide.

The barrel and slide are not registered items. Dispose of them as you see fit. I assure you it is not illegal to have a numbered slide or barrel and do as you please with it.

Matt

Matt,

Thank you for your answer and explanation. I appreciate it.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    The numbers on the barrel and slide DO NOT MATTER.

Doc,

Thank you sir...I appreciate it. I had to prove to my co worker that it was ok to sell his slide and barrel. Cant blame him for being overly cautious in MD since law abiding citizens seems to be the only ones that gun laws affects.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

^^THIS. He needs to know what part of the weapon is legally the "firearm". Yes, if it were the frame there'd be no Polymer 80s out there and he couldn't buy slides and barrels on eBay.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    So it would also be legal then to remove/change the serial number on the slide and barrel if you wanted to. In the case you had a p80 you built and got an oem slide and barrel.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So it would also be legal then to remove/change the serial number on the slide and barrel if you wanted to. In the case you had a p80 you built and got an oem slide and barrel.

It would only be illegal to alter or remove the serial number of the firearm itself. Which on a Glock, is on the frame.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The barrel and slide are serial numbered because at Glock they were fitted or matched to that frame. Pretty common in many firearms.

No hand fitting is necessary on Glock slides and barrels. They’re numbered because pressure bearing parts are regulated in most European countries more so than receivers. Glock factory replacement barrels have an L prefix and replacement slides have an S prefix. The armor’s manual doesn’t say anything about them needing hand fitting when swapping them out.

I remember reading that the very first Glocks did not have serial numbered frames and ATF did not appreciate the serial numbers being stamped into the plastic when they were first brought in for evaluation. They introduced the steel plate after.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    No hand fitting is necessary on Glock slides and barrels. They’re numbered because pressure bearing parts are regulated in most European countries more so than receivers. Glock factory replacement barrels have an L prefix and replacement slides have an S prefix. The armor’s manual doesn’t say anything about them needing hand fitting when swapping them out.

I remember reading that the very first Glocks did not have serial numbered frames and ATF did not appreciate the serial numbers being stamped into the plastic when they were first brought in for evaluation. They introduced the steel plate after.

That’s good info...thank you for this :)

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    What you have is a firearm with a serial number (in the case of the Glock, that is the frame) and some accessories which may or may not have engravings on them. Much like a carved stock on a double barrel 12 gauge duck gun or a deer rifle, those parts can have numbers, a picture of a favorite hunting dog, your wife's or kid's name or picture. It matters not what might be carved into any parts of the gun except the frame, and you can for instance also change the grip profile, stippling pattern, etc. on a polymer frame as long as the serial number is not molested. According to US law the serial number on the frame is the only thing that matters.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

Nice tidbit to know. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom