• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Quick question - Buddy picked up two Vertex Standard 16 ch radios(storage container find), well used, I see them cheap on ebay but what channels might they be programmed for or are they worth having for some reason? will he need a license? model VX-351-G7-5 no display.
    PS- still studying, having a good busy summer :) but enjoying the challenge.

I don't know about these particular radios or their suitability for conversion to amateur radio use. In general, there are many hams who buy commercial radios and reprogram them for use in the ham bands, and it's completely legal for a licensed amateur to modify his own equipment for use in the ham bands. As licensed amateurs, we have the unique ability to self-certify equipment for use in the amateur radio service.

Note that this does not allow you to modify or use equipment in other services, such as FRS or GMRS.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I know several people who have KX3's and are very happy with them. KX2 seems like it's designed to be more of a portable QRP rig than the KX3 was.

I got my KX2, and wasted no time talking all over Asia with it, and South as far as Australia. I love this rig. Sound is really great (via headphones). It actually has a wider dynamic range than my Yaesu FT950, and pulls weak signals out of the noise much better. This is actually with a noisy 40m 1/4 wave vertical, in the middle of the city, with S7+ noise. I added a video clip of the antenna, at the end:

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Experienced a little ducting this morning. A DC radio station" WTOP" was coming in like gangbusters. That's about 100 miles and I've never heard them before on my table top radio. I'm guessing that 2 meters is being affected as well.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I got my KX2, and wasted no time talking all over Asia with it, and South as far as Australia. I love this rig. Sound is really great (via headphones). It actually has a wider dynamic range than my Yaesu FT950, and pulls weak signals out of the noise much better. This is actually with a noisy 40m 1/4 wave vertical, in the middle of the city, with S7+ noise. I added a video clip of the antenna, at the end:

There are a couple of DXpeditions in Mongolia, one going on now for a month and another shorter one. I'll bet you could hit those.

2016 Aug30 2016 Sep24 Mongolia JT

20160717 By OK1DBS as JT1DBS fm Ulaan Baatar for 1st two week, then fm Batshireet using JT1DBS/3; HF

016 Sep01 2016 Sep04 Mongolia JT5NH

20160823 By JA0JHQ; 160-10m; CW SSB; mainly for All-Asian DX Contest (SSB); outside contest mainly CW on 160m, WARC bands, 10m; QSL also OK via JARL Buro (preferred) or direct

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Experienced a little ducting this morning. A DC radio station" WTOP" was coming in like gangbusters. That's about 100 miles and I've never heard them before on my table top radio. I'm guessing that 2 meters is being affected as well.

Same here yesterday. A distant station was trying to wipe out DC101.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    At 22,500 watts ERP, that would be quite the accomplishment!!

Ducting is amazing, although I was in southern Howard County. I used to spend a lot of time in Ocean City Md. and business travel in the Norfolk area. Quite often late at night and early morning I could hit the DC area VHF and UHF repeaters full quieting with a handheld.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ducting is amazing, although I was in southern Howard County. I used to spend a lot of time in Ocean City Md. and business travel in the Norfolk area. Quite often late at night and early morning I could hit the DC area VHF and UHF repeaters full quieting with a handheld.

Many years ago I heard a tape of a ducting contact.

California to Hawaii, on 440 FM voice. Clear as a local contact.

Oh, and this was hand held to hand held. On rubber duck antennas.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Many years ago I heard a tape of a ducting contact.

California to Hawaii, on 440 FM voice. Clear as a local contact.

Oh, and this was hand held to hand held. On rubber duck antennas.

Sounds familiar...I think I read an article about it. My most memorable was a meteor scatter contact that lasted just long enough to exchange call signs. Everything was dead quiet and then all of the sudden some Canadian came blasting through on 52.525 FM. Afterwards I was like, WTH was that all about! :lol2:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I had a dream last night that I was in a 2M contest.

Do they even have such a thing?

The VHF contests are really cool. So many bands and modes to play with. Tower space was at a premium though so I figured out a way to use my VHF, 220, and 440 beams both horizontal and vertical by moving them with pneumatic cylinders.

Horiz.jpg

Vert.jpg

Horiz1.jpg

Vert1.jpg

P4140002.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sounds familiar...I think I read an article about it. My most memorable was a meteor scatter contact that lasted just long enough to exchange call signs. Everything was dead quiet and then all of the sudden some Canadian came blasting through on 52.525 FM. Afterwards I was like, WTH was that all about! :lol2:

I worked a 10m contest (I was not contesting, but many were) with E-layer cloud skip.

The cloud was moving and the contacts slowly moved from MN/WI area to IL/IN/MI to OH.

It was very cool watching that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom