First rifle: Interested in possibly getting a IWI Tavor...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 16, 2020
    I was thinking about getting an AR15 for my first rifle, but I have been researching bullpups and read about the TAVOR. I am under the impression that they are banned in Marylandistan except for the IWI B18RS and IWI XB-18RS. Anyone have one? Where did u purchase it from? What is a reasonable price? Any issues with it? I think the bullpup design is so interesting. Thanks.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I don’t about whether they are “Not Disapproved” in Md-Stan or not but, CDNN Sports had them (you contact an FFL-holder and have the FFL send a copy of their FFL to CDNN (if not already on file with CDNN) and then you use a credit card or other means to pay CDNN and then thus ship the rifle to your FFL-holder.

I see they only .300 Blackout and 9mm now but, they def had 5.56 in the recent past. They’ll have them in 5.56 again soon enough, I’m confident: https://www.cdnnsports.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=tavor

Best o’ Success!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The 18" Restricted State (18RS) model is maryland legal

The main issue with bullpups with respect to MD law is that they need to be over 29". IWI accomplished that with the 18RS.

FFLs can order it. Find an IP close to you.

As for the price, pre-pandemic I had seen them going for as low as $1400, but I think they are back up to $1800-2000.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Thanks

The 18" Restricted State (18RS) model is maryland legal

The main issue with bullpups with respect to MD law is that they need to be over 29". IWI accomplished that with the 18RS.

FFLs can order it. Find an IP close to you.

As for the price, pre-pandemic I had seen them going for as low as $1400, but I think they are back up to $1800-2000.

danb, thanks for this. I thought bullpups illegal, as well. Did not know were legal if over the 29" rule. Explains why I see them in the stores.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    danb, thanks for this. I thought bullpups illegal, as well. Did not know were legal if over the 29" rule. Explains why I see them in the stores.
    :thumbsup:

OP, I am reading that you are a "Toyota" kinda of Person and your first pistol is a Glock.

If so... this rifle is probably not for you. These are great rifles! I have a bullpup, and I love it. But a "Toyota" type rifle, it ain't (esp at $1500+).

Find yourself something like a MD-compliant Ruger 556 https://ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8511.html.

There are a number of AR-style rifles in this price range that MD compliant and are decent at this price point.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    The Tavor is legal so long as you meet the 29" rule. They have models that have muzzle brakes pinned and welded at 30" to meet the 29" rule. An FFL can order a non-compliant version and permanently attach a muzzle device.

If you get the 18" barreled Tavor, you will be short about 2.1" without a permanent muzzle device. I am currently having the stock brake changed out for a Griffin Armament FlashComp, cuts the length down to a little above 29" and allows me to mount a Griffin M4SD suppressor. I can't wait to have my barrel back.

The cheek weld with a low optic is a tiny bit uncomfortable. I opted to change my rail out for a shorter, slightly taller rail (Gear Head Works Razorback). The shorter rail mimics the original IDF look.

Before:
    rlCDtyO.jpg

After:
    mpOUqJK.jpg

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    I was thinking about getting an AR15 for my first rifle, but I have been researching bullpups and read about the TAVOR. I am under the impression that they are banned in Marylandistan except for the IWI B18RS and IWI XB-18RS. Anyone have one? Where did u purchase it from? What is a reasonable price? Any issues with it? I think the bullpup design is so interesting. Thanks.

Just get you an AR15 man. I know you wanna get something cool, unique etc. Get the AR. Learn the manual of arms thats in use by most militaries today (talking about a magazine well in front of the trigger guard not AKs vs AR). SOCOM can use anything they want. Theyre not rolling with Scars, or tavors, or aks or galils or AUGs. They's runnin' a variety of different configurations of ARs. At least the majority of units.

Bottom line, you buy that tavor and I guarantee one day you'll end up getting an AR anyways. On the other hand, you buy the AR, im not sure if the reverse will hold true.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Another vote for the Ar. Less money, it is the standard these days, and you don't have to pay to have a maryland strap-on put onto the end of it which takes away part of a bullpup's gain of being short and handy.

May 16, 2020
    Awesome replies everyone, thanks, I appreciate it. I will get back to reading about ARs. It seems like a really nice AR that is customized can get pretty expensive quickly too.

Those pictures are great ST19AG_WGreymon, thanks for sharing. Looks really cool.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    A customized AR can get very expensive. But you have to decide what you are going to do with it, first. You can get a decent AR with a free float handguard for $800, add a super nice Geissele trigger for $200, and you have rifle that is at least as accurate as the Tavor, and you still have money leftover for furniture upgrades and a good scope. This will satisfy all your pie hitting and steel banging needs, and will also be perfectly good for putting down zombies and home invaders as well. You cannot suppress a Tavor - there are some other bullpups on the market like MDR Desert Tech and Kel Tec that come in lengths that allow you to eventually take the muzzle device off and suppress it. But, for your first rifle, a bullpup is a bit pricey for just pie hitting.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Awesome replies everyone, thanks, I appreciate it. I will get back to reading about ARs. It seems like a really nice AR that is customized can get pretty expensive quickly too.

Those pictures are great ST19AG_WGreymon, thanks for sharing. Looks really cool.

Think of 'Lego' toy block sets that can hook together. An unmodified rifle is fine for almost everything. A heavily modified rifle may not be useful but look cool. And yes, there are all kinds of things for sale to stick on there - I'd recommend saving your money and spend whatever more you were thinking about on training. Firearms are not toys and training is key to accurate and safely shooting.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would suggest a rather plain AR to start. Ruger comes to mind but there are many others. I would not go custom as you won't know really what you are paying to get there. Shoot it a ton and see what are the things you would like to have different on it and then address those things.

Going custom to start is really $$ and I don't think most will make use of those items of diminishing returns. I wouldn't suggest a Ferrari for a first car, nor a custom AR for a first rifle.

As a whole, I don't see paying big $$ for an AR. I have seen many, many, novice shooters in the Army do just fine with an issue M16A2 or M4. Didn't need it tricked out, just needed to listen to basic instruction and it served them very well.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would suggest an M-16A2. Then you don’t have to worry about features and overall length.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    An AR/M4 platform rifle is a good way for a first rifle. Affordable...excellent ergonomics...well proven...parts availability off the charts excellent...ammunition easily available and affordable. I can't see any reason to consider something else as a first rifle. Once it's mastered the others will follow.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    A customized AR can get very expensive. But you have to decide what you are going to do with it, first. You can get a decent AR with a free float handguard for $800, add a super nice Geissele trigger for $200, and you have rifle that is at least as accurate as the Tavor, and you still have money leftover for furniture upgrades and a good scope. This will satisfy all your pie hitting and steel banging needs, and will also be perfectly good for putting down zombies and home invaders as well. You cannot suppress a Tavor - there are some other bullpups on the market like MDR Desert Tech and Kel Tec that come in lengths that allow you to eventually take the muzzle device off and suppress it. But, for your first rifle, a bullpup is a bit pricey for just pie hitting.

That is incorrect. IWI even makes one for them.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

I'm going to go against the crowd on this one. I agree with everything posted about how you can spend less money on an AR15 type rifle and you'll get much more technical support. However, you'll be able to buy or build an AR15 style rifle anytime you want to. The Tavor is an excellent rifle and if you have the money to spend on one, then go for it. I've always wanted to add one to the collection but there are just so many things I want to buy.

Good Luck.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    An AR/M4 platform rifle is a good way for a first rifle. Affordable...excellent ergonomics...well proven...parts availability off the charts excellent...ammunition easily available and affordable. I can't see any reason to consider something else as a first rifle. Once it's mastered the others will follow.

:thumbsup: This is you best advice. Get yourself an 20" HBAR in either an A2 or A4 for your first rifle and learn your Zero, Torpedo.

Master your rifle and you're well on your way to mastering your marksmanship. Become an Expert Marksman and then you can pickup any rifle and hit your target.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Get an LWRC DI rifle. They are excellent rifles. They are built in MD and come with a fluted HBAR so you’ll have no worries about being compliant in MD. If you join Big Daddy Unlimited for one month ($0.99 for the first month) I think you can get an LWRC DI for under $1300.

I cannot say enough good things about all my LWRC rifles. They are fully ambidextrous with a NiCorr treated cold-hammer-forged barrel that will last longer than competitors. Buy once cry once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom