Did Irene compel you to buy a generator?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did you buy a generator this week?

• Yes, I bought a generator

Votes: 26 11.5%
    • No, I already had a generator

Votes: 103 45.6%
    • No, but I wish I had...

Votes: 40 17.7%
    • No, and I still have no intention of buying one

Votes: 57 25.2%

• Total voters

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have wanted a generator for a long time, but this storm is what finally gave me the impetus (and helped justify it to the wife.). Ordered a Honda EU2000i from Mayberry's in New Jersey on Tuesday, it arrived (phew!) Friday morning. Anyone else use this event as their excuse to pull the trigger?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    BGE compelled me to buy a generator a long time ago with such spectacular fails as a 4-hour outage on a sunny, cloudless July 4 with very average temperatures.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Yes, paid for a EU2000i. No, did not receive it yet, despite their assurances via phone that they'd stay into the night until the last person took delivery.
    And they charged me (and I paid) a couple hundred over what competitors were selling them for. My bad, but hey Honda Powersports of Crofton: :kicknuts:

At least you could've made sure I got the damn thing.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Nope, between my dad and I, we rarely loose power and he's got a Honda 5.5kW that we can rotate back and forth. Once I build a bigger shed I may get one.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Had it since isablle. No doubt when i first bought it. It still running since 3pm yesterday. Surprised that a full tank (6gal) can run for 12 hours.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I bought a 10KW Honda after Isabelle. Finally hauled it out, hooked it up and fired it up yesterday afternoon for the first time ever. The battery was dead (I'm shocked...) but jumper cables from the car and it started on the second try. Sweeet...

And then we got through the night with power completely uninterrupted. Irene shook the treetops gently here in MoCo, but did not live up to expectations. I wish others had been so lucky, but looks as if it could have been a lot worse.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Have to say I did buy one,been thinking of it a lot lately this was the deciding factor.Don't have power in the garage,could use at work in a worst case scenario,and maybe take along camping as a luxury.Bought a Honda EU2000i from Liberty Discount,prepaid Friday and was in Friay night.Didn't do a price comparison and assume I probably paid extra for the last minute purchase.Was a peace of mind purchase basically we have a tendency to lose power frequently as is.Was told after Isabell power was out for 4-5 days,I was sent to Richmond so I missed that outage.I may buy a bigger generator in the future 2k watts max just doesn't seem to be adequate.True to form since I was prepared my power didn't go out,across the street did for a change.Got mine out on loan to wifes relatives around the corner so at least it's getting broken in.I will say the model I bought is very portable and very quiet.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    We've been without power since midnight which is really a minor inconvenience since fionnros made pancakes from scratch and percolated coffee on the gas stove for breakfast
    The UPS on the verizon box keeps beeping but other than that it just that the kids are having to find entertainment other than tv and video games
    I liked the suggestion someone made about looking for cheap generators after the storm. Might do that.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Lat time we had a tropical storm was without power for almost 5 days. Borrowed my brothers Coleman but that thing was so noisy and vibrated so much that I only used it off and on.
    When Irene was predicted went out and bought a Honda EB3000c, will power refrigerator, sump pump and several lights. The Honda runs smooth and pretty quiet.
    We did not lose power but some of our neighbors did, can hear generators running outside. Still glad I got the generator, may end up trading it in for a more powerful gen once this all goes away.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I bought one before the great Snow Storm that was supposed to bury the State.
    I have not put any gas in it yet. How long can i let it sit? It's in my garage with a dehumidifier running.
    We never lost power, but I have talked to others in the area that did

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    In my area of Reisterstown, we lose power all the time. I got a generator second hand this summer, just because it was available.

A smart thing I did was get the personal hotspot feature enabled on my iPhone. Now with the generator, the fridge is cold, the coffee's hot, and the internet is ON!!!

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    That's a great generator. Buy from the motorcycle shop in Laurel off Rt1.

That's what I hear. Problem was I prepaid so I was stuck. They called this AM and I have it now that Irene's worst is past us.
    At least I'll be ready for next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom