• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigTrain

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    Hey all,

Not sure where to post this, so I figured I'd put it in my home region.

My garage has been broken into twice in a year. They didn't actually get in the second time (I've got bars now), but they did kindly break three windows. The first time, they didn't steel much, as my dog was freaking out and I let him outside. I'm pretty sure he spooked them. Didn't realize someone had broken into the garage til the next day. Any hints on good home security company in the Baltimore area? Every company seems like a scam.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I just put up an Arlo Pro camera system and am quite pleased with it. The basic recording service is free and I control it completely from my phone.

You can get the kit and additional cameras from Best Buy, Lowes, Costco, and others.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I have multiple Amcrest ProHD cameras ($70 each on amazon) installed around my house. The software was easy to setup through my ipad and with a 128Gb SD card installed in the camera, it is a self contained security system. The ipad app lets me connect to all the cameras and playback all of them via the time stamps. No need to run networking cable, although this can be done, they easily connect to the wifi.

Toxicjin

Feb 8, 2018
    Forest Hill, Md.
    I just put up an Arlo Pro camera system and am quite pleased with it. The basic recording service is free and I control it completely from my phone.

You can get the kit and additional cameras from Best Buy, Lowes, Costco, and others.

I did something similar. I installed the ring doorbell and two ring spotlight/ alarm cameras around the house. Got a good deal on black Friday. Was going to try ADT but they wanted to pull my credit (!?) And charge $100 before they even arrived at the house. Then once technician arrives, they will upsell me in all the latest tech.. no thanks..

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I did something similar. I installed the ring doorbell and two ring spotlight/ alarm cameras around the house. Got a good deal on black Friday. Was going to try ADT but they wanted to pull my credit (!?) And charge $100 before they even arrived at the house. Then once technician arrives, they will upsell me in all the latest tech.. no thanks..

I have the ring doorbell as well, but was skeptical of the spotlight cameras given my doorbell is sometimes unresponsive or slow when I try and connect to live view or respond to motion. Now that I use both apps, I feel like the Arlo interface is much smoother and offers better motion/sound detection. Only complaint with the Arlo is that the "live" view is on a 20 second or so delay so it can buffer. But the result is much better video quality.

BigTrain

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    It's a detached garage, and I am planning to install a sheet of lexan or plexi between the glass and the bars. Not concerned about looks out there.

I wonder if cameras alone without the threat of response will be enough to deter.

BigTrain

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    It's a detached garage, and I am planning to install a sheet of lexan or plexi between the glass and the bars. Not concerned about looks out there.

I wonder if cameras alone without the threat of response will be enough

It's actually

BigTrain

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    I actually read some pretty interesting studies on the effectiveness of alarms and cameras. Home security systems in and of themselves don't actually decrease the odds that you are robbed, but they do cut down the time a burglar says in your home, which means less loot lost.

The real benefit seemingly comes when a neighborhood reaches a certain tipping point. As more homes in a neighborhood install cameras, etc, eventually you reach a tipping point and crime in the neighborhood as a whole drops. Pretty fascinating stuff really.

So I guess what I really have to do is convince all of my neighbors to install cameras and save myself the $$.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    So what do you have in your detached garage that's attractive to thieves? Multiple times..??

Is it easy to see inside through the windows?? Someone you know or seen what's in your garage?

Just buy a game cam if money is a problem .

BigTrain

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    The first time they got in, they took an old bicycle with training wheels, a jo stick, and a bag of martial arts workout gear.

Not sure there is anything intrinsic to my garage that is drawing them. Part of it is a function of living near a big road, I think, and my garage is at the dead end of a little alley you can see from the street.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    I have ADT for a security system and I also installed a Lorex camera system from Costco. I'm mostly happy with both. The camera system has helped identify and find at least two sets of potential thieves. The only issue I have with ADT is the fact that they will call the house first before calling the police...potential wasted time IMO but the felon that lives next door (the whole reason for both systems) is currently a guest of the county so when he gets out I'll call ADT and tell them just call the cops if it goes off

May 13, 2005
    Third Eye Surveillance and Security is an IP on this site.

They are top notch guys, gun freindly, use quality products and installations and are down to earth and discrete. I highly recommend them.

Regardless, remember it's all about multiple layers of security that can't be defeated using one method. Don't put all your eggs into one basket.

Taurus85

Jun 25, 2011
    Rosedale, MD
    I have Arlo and simplyfrst. Both are doing the job or me. I can watch outside as well as in side my home. If some goes br Arlo I get a ring on my smartphone.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have 2 Ring products. A Video doorbell and a Floodlight Cam in the backyard. They both work fine and a plus is I can view the video on my Alexa Spot so I don't need my Iphone to look at video.

My basement Arlo Q camera video is also viewable on my Spot.

The Arlo app has a geofencing mode so my camera arms itself when I leave the house.

My video delay with the Arlo is about 4 seconds. I have FIOS internet 50/50

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom