• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    The numbers are in, and it looks like we harvested 86,542 deer this year.

I'm glad to have done my part to help Frederick County be #1 in the harvest :cool:

Frederick County led the harvest totals again this year with 7,354 deer, followed by Carroll County with 5,896 and Baltimore County at 5,559. Garrett and Montgomery counties rounded out the top five with 5,349 and 4,783 deer, respectively

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2018/02/15/maryland-hunters-harvest-86542-deer-in-2017-2018-season/

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    How many were harvested by responsible 18, 19, and 20 year olds who embraced their Second Amendment rights and bought their hunting firearms themselves?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    My personal numbers were actually down from last year, but Howard County overall was up 1.1%.

I have heard DNR wants to lower the bag limits for does for next year. Kinda silly. yeah, we love accidents. Better to kill deer that way.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Howard County park rangers were at the AGC several times this year (when I was there) sighting in their suppressed .308 Win bolt rifles. I talked to three of then, different times and determined they were in the neighborhoods shooting deer. The main reason was auto accidents. The county commissioners need to petition the Legislature to reduce the safety area to bow hunt, IMHO.

Good Luck

Jerry

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I didn't help at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180302-182442.jpg
      Screenshot_20180302-182442.jpg
      59.2 KB · Views: 444

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    Howard County park rangers were at the AGC several times this year (when I was there) sighting in their suppressed .308 Win bolt rifles. I talked to three of then, different times and determined they were in the neighborhoods shooting deer. The main reason was auto accidents. The county commissioners need to petition the Legislature to reduce the safety area to bow hunt, IMHO.

Good Luck

Jerry

Need to let landowners and farmers shoot the long legged Lyme disease rats whenever and however they want.

But you can't shoot the Kings deer or rabid raccoons or anything.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Did it make a dent in the current population, or do we need more hunters to control the population?

Q

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    Did it make a dent in the current population, or do we need more hunters to control the population?

Q

Hunters? Or people that drive pickup trucks and 4 wheelers though the fields and woods and wonder why they don't see any deer? Then drive around the field looking into the woods looking for deer. Then blame the farmer with crop damage permits for why they don't see any.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I havent harvested a deer in 2 years. I have run out of time and places to hunt. I fear hunting is a dying sport.........

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I havent harvested a deer in 2 years. I have run out of time and places to hunt. I fear hunting is a dying sport.........

For having some of the most liberal bag limits I've ever heard of (unlimited antlerless in archery), there is still far too much conspiring against average hunters to make any dent in the MD deer population or inspire new hunters to start.

Lack of sunday hunting, little public land available for hunting, excessive safety zones, etc... It would be interesting to throw all that into a mathematical model to see how much land and times are available to actually kill deer presuming one works a 40 hour week.

I usually kill one deer a year in my backyard. After one is down, the others go nocturnal. The lack of land open to hunting means its virtually impossible to 'hunt' in the true sense (i.e., learn and target patterns, still hunt, etc). Most of what I actually do is opportunistically harvest a deer, at best (i.e. bait them in my backyard).

I don't have access to other private land, and I'm not willing to pay for it. I regularly check logs of some southern maryland public lands and see very little actually harvested in deer season.

Sunday hunting limitations cut my hunting season in half.

My final gripe is that the state/dnr owns HUNDREDS of properties (check MD merlin to see this) that are never made available to hunters, a good percentage of which were probably paid for with license fees.

Unless you own or have access to private ground here, its pretty bleak.

And waterfowl hunting is even worse...

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    For having some of the most liberal bag limits I've ever heard of (unlimited antlerless in archery), there is still far too much conspiring against average hunters to make any dent in the MD deer population or inspire new hunters to start.

Lack of sunday hunting, little public land available for hunting, excessive safety zones, etc... It would be interesting to throw all that into a mathematical model to see how much land and times are available to actually kill deer presuming one works a 40 hour week.

I usually kill one deer a year in my backyard. After one is down, the others go nocturnal. The lack of land open to hunting means its virtually impossible to 'hunt' in the true sense (i.e., learn and target patterns, still hunt, etc). Most of what I actually do is opportunistically harvest a deer, at best (i.e. bait them in my backyard).

I don't have access to other private land, and I'm not willing to pay for it. I regularly check logs of some southern maryland public lands and see very little actually harvested in deer season.

Sunday hunting limitations cut my hunting season in half.

My final gripe is that the state/dnr owns HUNDREDS of properties (check MD merlin to see this) that are never made available to hunters, a good percentage of which were probably paid for with license fees.

Amen. Esp.waterfowl. Luckily I'm in CC and Sunday hunting is allowed on private property, which I have. But, Maryland has a ton of pressure per acre of public land. Heck, even private land you'll have someone up your a$$. If I had to hunt public, I'd probably not in MD.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Hunters? Or people that drive pickup trucks and 4 wheelers though the fields and woods and wonder why they don't see any deer? Then drive around the field looking into the woods looking for deer. Then blame the farmer with crop damage permits for why they don't see any.

Hunters. The folks that actually work at getting deer.

Q

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    For having some of the most liberal bag limits I've ever heard of (unl.

L

This x100

License fees and taxes pay for all these parks and the free loading granola munchers are the only ones that can use them.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Be sure to check the DNR web site for public hunting lands:
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/public-hunting-lands/

The point is that whats actually available to hunt is a small fraction of what is actually owned by DNR. The following image is a screen shot of DNR owned lands. Everything in green in owned by DNR. If you go and dig into the location of each of these properties you'll see that many are not available to hunt, including a large tract in my own backyard (Shady Side) and additional lands along the Patuxent River.

Attachments

• DNR Lands SoMD.jpg
      DNR Lands SoMD.jpg
      68.4 KB · Views: 120
    I got 6. 5 in QA and 1 in Cecil. The EHD wiped out huge numbers in Kent, QA Caroline and Talbot. The next few years might be a tough hunt in those areas hit. Some farmers were reporting upwards to 50 dead in their fields. Hopefully the freeze killed off large numbers of midge larvae...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom