Mossberg 500 stock replacement - am I being too anal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clingy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 12, 2017
    Tried to install my own sling swivel mount on Mossberg 500 - bubba’d it and it was off center. Anal me couldn’t handle that and so I ordered a new stock from Mossberg.com that was pictured with a sling swivel installed.

New stock arrives - no sling swivel and there is some overhang against the receiver behind the safety. Contact customer service, they said the pic needs to be updated because they don’t do sling swivels anymore. However, they sent me a new stock because they agreed there should not be overhang, that the stock should be flush.

Second stock arrives - the wood is now slightly darker and doesn’t match my forend, and there is still some overhang albeit less. I contacted customer service awaiting response.

Thought I’d ask your all’s opinion - am I being too anal? Should I just nut up and accept my gun won’t be “perfect” again because of my initial mistake?

Feel free to be brutally honest....

I can’t imagine now how many back and forths I’d need to do to ensure both the color matches and the stock is flush with the receiver.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    I mean it's a ~$200 gun. Of all my guns, it's one of my favorites because it's so reliable, fun, but also because I don't feel bad if shit happens to it. And this is coming from the guy who once paid to repair a scratch on a 686 stock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Probably . Look at various Mossberg oem stocks.

But if it's that important to you, here's your opportunity for a simple home gunsmithing project . Fit the new buttstock to your reviever , then refinish both pieces to your preference of finish .

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Tried to install my own sling swivel mount on Mossberg 500 - bubba’d it and it was off center. Anal me couldn’t handle that and so I ordered a new stock from Mossberg.com that was pictured with a sling swivel installed.

New stock arrives - no sling swivel and there is some overhang against the receiver behind the safety. Contact customer service, they said the pic needs to be updated because they don’t do sling swivels anymore. However, they sent me a new stock because they agreed there should not be overhang, that the stock should be flush.

Second stock arrives - the wood is now slightly darker and doesn’t match my forend, and there is still some overhang albeit less. I contacted customer service awaiting response.

Thought I’d ask your all’s opinion - am I being too anal? Should I just nut up and accept my gun won’t be “perfect” again because of my initial mistake?

Feel free to be brutally honest....

I can’t imagine now how many back and forths I’d need to do to ensure both the color matches and the stock is flush with the receiver.

Talk to them see if they can give you matching set with you paying the difference. It is pretty hard to match wood that is not stained together.

clingy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 12, 2017
    Talk to them see if they can give you matching set with you paying the difference. It is pretty hard to match wood that is not stained together.

Good idea, though don’t think I’m willing to fork an extra $60 or so over for that.

I might just live with it and one day take it to a ‘smith to refinish and sand down the overhang. Then I could at least get a better finish than Mossberg’s factory finish. If I attempt it myself I’m afraid I’ll botch it further.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I did the same with my 870 many moons ago. I am OCD to an extent so it bugged me it was not center. That lasted only a short time and I don’t even pay attention to it anymore. I wouldn’t worry about and leave the original stock with the stud slightly offset. You won’t even notice it in time.

JWinners

Jul 26, 2017
    Saint Marys, MD
    Sad to say, it'll most likely never look the same without hard work. But a Mossy 500 looks better with character anyway. One of the benefits of a cheap gun is being able to beat it up without remorse, that is if you're me anyway.

clingy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 12, 2017
    Response from Mossberg customer service:
    “I was advised that the stains change over time, so there is not a stock that will match your forearm to the exact color. Also, the over hang you are seeing with the stock/receiver is normal; the service department has not deemed this a quality issue.”

Ironic because the last stock with overhang matched exactly. Also they replaced the first stock because of the overhang as they said it should be flush. Now they’re saying he opposite. I think they just got tired of dealing with me lol. Next time I’ll buy at Numrich.

I’ve decided to keep the color mismatch - the offset swivel stud would bother me more. I’ll chalk it up to character and get over it. Thanks for the tips everyone!

joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    i have OCD just like it sounds like you do so it would drive me nuts but in the end the good ol mossy 500s arent collection pieces, theyre just damn good guns

clingy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 12, 2017
    i have OCD just like it sounds like you do so it would drive me nuts but in the end the good ol mossy 500s arent collection pieces, theyre just damn good guns

Yeah it’s funny cuz if I scratch or ding a gun while hunting or buy a used gun with blemishes doesn’t bother me one bit. Only bothers me when it’s the result of me being stupid or making an easily avoidable mistake.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's normal for the forend and buttstock to not match. Stick the furniture on there and move on.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I would just redo the sling mount slightly further back on the stock after filling / repairing the old hole so the sling will cover the blemish.

Out of sight, out of mind and if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying. Two things I remember from Navy boot camp. :)

JWinners

Jul 26, 2017
    Saint Marys, MD
    Yeah it’s funny cuz if I scratch or ding a gun while hunting or buy a used gun with blemishes doesn’t bother me one bit. Only bothers me when it’s the result of me being stupid or making an easily avoidable mistake.

"Natural wear" instead of "goofball wear".. I'm familiar with this. I usually drop something, get mad that I dropped it, and make it worse :sad20:

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    Regarding the color match, yes you are being too anal. Expecting the wood to match on a new stock with an aged forend is not something they can control, if it matches, it will be sheer luck. I would expect the fit and finish to be good though. Not perfect, but good.

clingy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 12, 2017
    Regarding the color match, yes you are being too anal. Expecting the wood to match on a new stock with an aged forend is not something they can control, if it matches, it will be sheer luck. I would expect the fit and finish to be good though. Not perfect, but good.

FYI the forend is less than 1 year old. Wouldn’t call it aged. Also, the first stock they sent me with overhang matched the color perfectly but the overhang was a bit much. So, there are stocks that match they just wouldn’t bother to send me another one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom