• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know, but I think the MVA/DNR are trying to enforce commercial vehicle law on the average citizen. I'd love to see what laws are being broken.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I don't know, but I think the MVA/DNR are trying to enforce commercial vehicle law on the average citizen. I'd love to see what laws are being broken.

I have never managed to find a good answer on whether that rule applies beyond the commercial shipping industry. If it does, I better get myself an air-brake endorsement to drive a minivan because you know, it's in the motor vehicle code so everyone needs to have it.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Thanks for the heads up.

If I'm stopped, I'll hand them my DL, vehicle and trailer registration, and insurance info. That's all the cops will get. No explanation of the vehicle use, titling, or my origin or destination.

Give me my ticket and I'll show up in court with a lawyer.

A lawyer is going to cost you more than the ticket, so the Nazis still win.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    A lot of ramps have an out-of- state ramp fee. maybe they are paying the cheaper in-state fee and getting a fine? You are supposed to use the trailer tag number when you fill out the ramp fee slip.

The ramp fee is based on what? The trailer tag and not the boat or car registration?

IjustCantAim

Jan 20, 2010
    You have to put the trailer tag number on the slip you fill out. out of state trailer tag =out of state ramp fee

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Lots of people don't own a trailer and borrow one because the boat goes in once at the beginning of the season and out once at the end. I don't have a dog in this fight, but this is BS.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The issue is if you are a Maryland registered driver. All of your vehicles (trailers included) need to be registered in MD. This really isn't new news or law, it's just they are stepping up enforcement.

But a trailer isn't a vehicle? I did some reading before I put the Maine tags on my trailer. Seemed pretty damn safe.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    IANAL and this is not legal advice, but unless things have changed a lot this aspect of the registration law is notoriously difficult to enforce. IIRC you have to be able to prove that the vehicle owner was not in the sixty day grace period for moving into the state, and more difficult, prove that the owner didn't have dual residency AND had the vehicle in the state for 30+ days out of the last year. Needless to say, most of the people who got convicted for this law were ones who talked their way into it. Previous advice given about being cooperative but silent if stopped and getting a lawyer if you get cited might be a very good course of action.

Personally I would not write a citation and sign and affirm under penalty of perjury that I had probable cause that someone was in violation just because their Maryland tagged vehicle had Maine tags. I think that's a stretch and a bad move. IMHO.

This was a big deal when I was on the job because so many revoked drunks were going to Virginia and getting tags and licenses. Which used to be easy to do (no more). We never really worried, understood, or frankly gave a shit about trailer tags from out of state.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    This was a big deal when I was on the job because so many revoked drunks were going to Virginia and getting tags and licenses. Which used to be easy to do (no more). We never really worried, understood, or frankly gave a shit about trailer tags from out of state.

The folks who are interested in this are truck enforcement folks. But for them its not about the tab fee for a little landscaping trailer, they are after trucking companies who have more than the allowable number of trailers with ME or IN tags.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Some people are going to have a bad day at the boat ramp, that's for sure. Imagine your Saturday morning as you carefully back down a boat ramp, the excitement of your kids in the back seat and hear the dreaded "Woop Woop" coming from one of those mid 2000's year Green GM pickup trucks.

He points at your Maine trailer tag and asks how many MD tagged trailers you have. NONE. You gasp for air as he walks back to print out that big citation.

Your local law enforcement marked police car drives up, "Woop woop" and he walks to your window informing that you will be receiving a citation for "Failure to obey Traffic control device." You realize he must have saw you drive around the one and only speed bump in an empty 30 acre parking lot at the boat ramp. You plead your case saying your front end makes a little noise on big bumps.

As you hope he changed his mind about the citation, the Commercial Vehicle Inspection unit shows up and you watch in horror as they walk towards your truck and trailer with mechanic creepers under their arm.

The Coast Guard shows up soon after and performs a safety inspection, they notice your fire extinguisher's gauge is reading between empty and full. Now you can't even launch the boat.

As you sit in shame dwelling on your serious moral turpitude issues, you watch Earl ride by in his Historic tagged 1990 Ranger that he drives everyday loaded with mulch higher than the roof, the rear of the truck is 20 inches lower than the front, his rusted exhaust bouncing off the asphalt and he points at you and laughs.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Some people are going to have a bad day at the boat ramp, that's for sure. Imagine your Saturday morning as you carefully back down a boat ramp, the excitement of your kids in the back seat and hear the dreaded "Woop Woop" coming from one of those mid 2000's year Green GM pickup trucks.

He points at your Maine trailer tag and asks how many MD tagged trailers you have. NONE. You gasp for air as he walks back to print out that big citation.

Your local law enforcement marked police car drives up, "Woop woop" and he walks to your window informing that you will be receiving a citation for "Failure to obey Traffic control device." You realize he must have saw you drive around the one and only speed bump in an empty 30 acre parking lot at the boat ramp. You plead your case saying your front end makes a lot of noise.

As you hope he changed his mind about the citation, the Commercial Vehicle Inspection unit shows up and you watch in horror as they walk towards your truck and trailer with mechanic creepers under their arm.

The Coast Guard shows up soon after and performs a safety inspection, they notice your fire extinguisher's gauge is reading between empty and full. Now you can't even launch the boat.

As you sit in shame dwelling on your serious moral turpitude issues, you watch Earl ride by in his Historic tagged 1990 Ranger that he drives everyday loaded with mulch higher than the roof, the rear of the truck is 20 inches lower than the front, his rusted exhausted bouncing off the asphalt and he points at you and laughs.

Lol.

Welcome to Maryland !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom