• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Anybody know a good place to get into the wilderness in Alberta, British Columbia, or Saskatchewan? I am thinking of a big lake or river that must be flown to, great fishing, camping in tents or a cabin. In the middle of nowhere, far from any towns or roads. Let me know if you have done this.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    that sounds pretty cool. some 20 years ago we spent two weeks in ontario mostly algonquin provincial park, car camping and lots of hiking. seeing (and hearing) loons was way cool. we did what is normally a two day overnite hiking loop in one very long day, with the highlight being a gargantuan moose chowing on a tree that had fallen across the trail. remember one trail, despite it being pretty warm, we wore full raingear as the mosquitoes were carnivorous.

ravens52

Mar 8, 2011
    Millersville, MD
    I work in Canada about 4 months a year and found Kananaskis to be a great area to visit (about hour West from Calgary). A little further out is Sunshine Village which has great hiking trails. As others mentions not a bad view where ever you go. You can even drive up to the Continental Divide.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I went to Cape Scott park on Vancouver Island, BC. Highly recommended if you're into backpacking. You will be very isolated--next stop...either Alaska or Korea depending on the current! Do a little internet searching and read about the failed Danish settlement there. Very cool. You can take a ferry from Washington State or Vancouver City, visit the city of Victoria, and then drive 6-8 hours into true wilderness.

I fished for linkcod and salmon from the beach but didn't last long because I didn't have waders or a surf rod. But I saw others with proper gear catching fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom