• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    My Century Arms VZ2008 has seen maybe 1,500 rounds in my seven years of ownership.

Once and a while the bolt will not cycle all the way forward. This issue is usually cured by popping a few rounds quickly, and usually the issue only happens when the riffle is cold. Once warm it seems to just run.

I was bored today, the wife and children went to the beach, and I am home with the dogs. I stripped the rear of the weapon to figure out what could be going on. From what I can see the bolt carrier is sticking on the 'disconnector' in the trigger assembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xBbCN8uF2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRsAtdA7OiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4pwsHTbmLw

The first video is long. It shows the cycling issue with the firearm assembled. The second two are the actual problem I am seeing poking around in her.

My question to you guys is, what should I do? I was thinking of just grinding a little relief out of the bolt carrier, because if there was any issues, this item would be easier to replace then the trigger disconnector.

Any help would be appreciated, this is a pretty awesome gun, and I feel warm and fuzzy I didn't pay what they sell for now.

Thanks community!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    IIRC, The tabbed bolt carrier mod also fixes this problem. It extends the ramp the disconnector rides on. I have both a 58 and a 2008. I think I had your same problem in the '08. I welded a tab on the '08 to match the 58 and it runs flawless now. This was years ago but I don't *THINK* I did anything else to fix it. Its a trivial mod if you can weld.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    IIRC, The tabbed bolt carrier mod also fixes this problem. It extends the ramp the disconnector rides on. I have both a 58 and a 2008. I think I had your same problem in the '08. I welded a tab on the '08 to match the 58 and it runs flawless now. This was years ago but I don't *THINK* I did anything else to fix it. Its a trivial mod if you can weld.

so your thinking either way can work? I have a mig rig I could make a tab for this and weld it on. I might do it tomorrow, I feel like too much material would have to come off this so they don't contact anymore.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD

I did some filing last night, oiled everything up and hand cycled the weapon a bit, and it is not sticking, so maybe that did the trick? I found a piece of metal at work that is just about the right thickness to tack onto the bolt carrier to make a ramp, so maybe I will also do that just for some more preventative measures.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    FWIW, it's not really a ramp. If you look at images its flat, with just a bevel on the front. I just copied my 58 bolt dimensions.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    FWIW, it's not really a ramp. If you look at images its flat, with just a bevel on the front. I just copied my 58 bolt dimensions.

would a ramp be a better way to mod the bolt carrier? I can make a gradual rise in the piece I am welding on.

I am going to most likely use a mig rig to get this done, I would prefer to tig this, but I don't know if that rig is up or not.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    would a ramp be a better way to mod the bolt carrier?
    No one else has needed to do it. IIRC, it holds the disconnector down even when the bolt is farther back. Stops it from hanging at all. I think the bevel was just to be able to easily insert the bolt from disassembly. This is all well documented on the 'net when the 2008s came out.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    No one else has needed to do it. IIRC, it holds the disconnector down even when the bolt is farther back. Stops it from hanging at all. I think the bevel was just to be able to easily insert the bolt from disassembly. This is all well documented on the 'net when the 2008s came out.

Got you, thanks. I guess do not fix what isn't broken. Even when it was cycling funny it was still putting lead downrange, so that wasn't really the gun breaking either.

I will hold off welding it for now. I want to put some more ammo through the gun. I think with some more wear in it wont matter much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom