• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Apparently the rumors around the ATF Project Gunrunner have been looked into by aides to Senator Grassley and there may be some fire to go with the smoke. I have avoided the story because it smacks of tinfoil hats and was sourced using anonymous resources, then reported in the Examiner.

But Grassley says he has seen some damning documentation and apparently a recently retired ATF attache to Mexico is ready to also spill some beans.

In a nutshell, Gunrunner is the ATF task force/investigation designed to ferret out cross-border transfers of US guns to Mexican drug cartels and gangs. It has been a disappointment in the sense that only low-level operators have been nabbed. Outside of one recent bust of more than a dozen low-level people on the US side, 67% of all prosecutions were of lone operators and profiteers. Hardly kingpin material there.

The rumors are that an office in Arizona - with headquarters approval - "walked" 500 AR-15 rifles from the US to Mexico to pad the numbers of guns later traced back to the USA, without the involvement of the Mexican Government. Again, the source was questionable.

Then, it was rumored that one of those rifles was used to kill border patrol agent Brian Terry in Arizona in December.

Grassley just wrote two letters to ATF demanding interviews, information and warning them to stop trying to influence an inside "whistleblower" who was talking to his office. Grassley says point blank they have reviewed documentary evidence and it looks like it is credible and partially corroborates the claims. Mainstream Media is starting to pick it up, but slowly given the paucity of credible sources here. Until Grassley got involved, this was all tinfoil hat stuff.

Also, a lawyer for a chain of gun stores in Texas says that his clients were asked by the ATF to allow suspected straw-purchases so that they could later "track them to their destinations". This chain has been ripped by the media in the past few months for allowing these purchases in the first place. They are tired of the buzzsaw and are speaking out. Rumor (again) says there are more, including another big seller in Arizona who has been fed to the lions these last few months.

Again, this is from the Examiner. BUT...Grassley's people have looked into it and they think it's real.

If this reporting is true, it makes the US Government complicit in arming the Mexican Cartels. The last time we got caught doing that was Iran-Contra...and at least there it was to get back hostages.

If confirmed, this would be either a well-intentioned but poorly executed investigation trying to track guns to the Kingpins, or a highly cynical attempt by some in the government to manufacture a problem they could later "solve". Either way it is bad, especially in light of the ATF and Justice Department using the guns they were allegedly moving into Mexico to push restrictions on US persons not involved in the least.

This could kill ATF and force whatever remains of it into the FBI and DHS. But only after the ATF agents involved fill out their new multiple-sales reporting cards. In triplicate.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    wow, not really a fan of the ATF, but I'm sure that most of the folks are regular people trying to do a job given to them from above. If this is true, I hope the guilty are hung out to dry.

The "let's let some through and track them" angle sounds more believable than "let's send a bunch of guns over, then we can crack down on the US gun laws like we want"

either way, could be the swan song...

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Boy, am I going to get a lot of mileage out of this.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    whoo, baby, this is big! ATF is in deep now. It was bad enough, but when the nimrod in the AZ office started trying to intimidate a witness and retaliate against a "whistle blower" talking to Grassley... Grassley's gonna have his guts for garters. He is one gnarly bulldog.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Still having a hard time believing this. It just seems so crazy no matter how you draw the angles. But even reluctant MSM are starting to cover it after some digging.

Even if we give benefit of the doubt and say it was good intentions gone awry...why did the headquarters people ignore their field attache about the mess they were going to cause? And why did they let the participating dealers get hammered, especially when the information used to skewer them came from anonymous tips in the Justice Department? And allowing 500 working guns to be sent over the border? This was not a small-time bust with a few guys. This was wholesale export.

The timeline says the gun that killed the CBP agent in December was allowed to transfer by the ATF in January. That means there is no way ATF was tracking those guns or the people who moved them. Not over 11 months. That means even if they wanted to maintain tracking, they lost complete operational control. And how do you track 500 rifles sent to the winds from multiple gun shops using many smugglers? Not possible. Not that long.

This stinks bad. If it bears out it is true...amazing.

And all under Obama's watch. Though, to be fair, we have no evidence his team was even aware. ATF has been a problem child far longer than Obama has been in office. It is unlikely he had any knowledge. Hell, Justice was probably in the dark. But the buck still stops with Obama.

This could make it awful hard to crack down on "rogue dealers" and private transfers when it turns out the Executive Branch were the ones sending guns to Mexico the whole time. They made it a big deal; we didn't. Now they can pay the piper.

Also, anyone considering the international issues involved here? The Mexican press are already running with the story.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I hope this is not true. If it is true, then I hope those complicit go to jail for a long time. It is impossible for me to believe anyone could hope to track even close to 500 rifles once they got into illicit channels, even with all of the federal resources. The only reason that many rifles would get released over the border on purpose would be to pad the numbers of US guns and create a problem for someone to get credit for "solving." Either that or a horrible, horrible mistake, or some type of corruption. But legitimate? Hard for me to believe.

This does have the stench of a Clinton-era shenanigan all over it.

Unfortunately, the difference between this and Iran-Contra will be that the "guilty" side in IC was conservative. The MSM, as well as the leftists in Congress couldn't wait to get something on Reagan. You can be sure Matt and Katie won't be so hard on this administration.

If borne out to be true, I predict it will be written off by the .gov and MSM and "the acts of a few rogue agents" and downplayed in its extent. Some low level operational people involved will be sent to prison and will know better than to try to speak up. The true plotters and organizers will remain cloaked behind their shield of political power and sympathetic news sources.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This stinks bad. If it bears out it is true...amazing.

And all under Obama's watch. Though, to be fair, we have no evidence his team was even aware. ATF has been a problem child far longer than Obama has been in office. It is unlikely he had any knowledge. Hell, Justice was probably in the dark. But the buck still stops with Obama.

This could make it awful hard to crack down on "rogue dealers" and private transfers when it turns out the Executive Branch were the ones sending guns to Mexico the whole time. They made it a big deal; we didn't. Now they can pay the piper.

Also, anyone considering the international issues involved here? The Mexican press are already running with the story.

Just throwing this out there, The ATF could not have acted alone.

You ask why?

Because the FBI runs the NICS for the background investigations. In order for a FFL to process an unlawful transaction, they have to run the check, which is the final determination.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Inigoes said:

You ask why?

Because the FBI runs the NICS for the background investigations. In order for a FFL to process an unlawful transaction, they have to run the check, which is the final determination.

Wouldn't this not be an issue if the rifles were purchased by ATF agents?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

You ask why?

Straw buyers would pass, and I think that is the claim being made. That ATF knew of the nature of the buys and told the dealers to let it happen anyway. The dealers complied.

This would mean that the ATF never intended to "control" these guns, because no agents were involved in the sale. The best they could do would be track the resulting mess and tally the score of the dead using trace data from Mexico, assuming the guns ever got caught. Then they could find the strawman and squeeze him/her for info they almost surely could not have, given their low position on the pole.

Idiotic.

I hope this ain't true. Makes the US look bad.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Straw buyers would pass, and I think that is the claim being made. That ATF knew of the nature of the buys and told the dealers to let it happen anyway. The dealers complied.

On some accounts, illegal aliens were purchasing. We're going to have more details meeted out before we start that discussion.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    ...If borne out to be true, I predict it will be written off by the .gov and MSM and "the acts of a few rogue agents" and downplayed in its extent. Some low level operational people involved will be sent to prison and will know better than to try to speak up. The true plotters and organizers will remain cloaked behind their shield of political power and sympathetic news sources.

That's what I was thinking, too.

:tinfoil: Tinfoil hat time: If this does turn out to be true, I could see a big push on more bans. Just think, "If federal agents could do it, what would stop regular citizens from doing this?"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom