• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Hmmmm, wonder if glock is going to be questioning thise army pistol results again from this.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Hmmmm, wonder if glock is going to be questioning thise army pistol results again from this.

You know it! One more reason I never buy first gen anything anymore. Even when that H9 comes out, I'll be giving it a bit. So I'm not the guy everyone says "must've pulled the trigger" when there's teething problems.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    attachment.php

LOL, oops.

In all seriousness, I'm sure that SIG will get this corrected; they have to. It's interesting to note, that this will probably change the way drop testing is conducted in the future. I don't know why "rear" drop isn't in the industry/gov standards. Seems like a no brainer.

attachment.php

ETA: Friend of mine that brought this to my attention remembers the Ruger striker fired SR9. That gun released w/out a safety "pull tab" and was quickly recalled a week after it was released. Essentially due to the same issues (or potential).

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My question would be, what (if any) damage was done on the first TWO drops. This was a third drop. I was looking for a first drop firing. I mean, I get it, the whole safety thing. But this is akin to hitting your funny bone, it needs to be "just right". The perfect storm. I bet it would never happen on grass, dirt, softer asphalt, carpeted floor, etc.. You get the idea. Perfect storm on a nice, hard cement floor.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    My question would be, what (if any) damage was done on the first TWO drops. This was a third drop. I was looking for a first drop firing. I mean, I get it, the whole safety thing. But this is akin to hitting your funny bone, it needs to be "just right". The perfect storm. I bet it would never happen on grass, dirt, softer asphalt, carpeted floor, etc.. You get the idea. Perfect storm on a nice, hard cement floor.

If it's damaged enough from dropping that it's not safe, then it's not rugged enough.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    This is not good for Sig but it seems that the fix is already known since the X-Five variant is not having the same problem. IIRC the military M17 variant has an external safety which hopefully renders it drop safe. I have a few sig guns and I love them all so I hope this can be fixed quickly and fast. I would hate to see the military void the contract and put Sig in deep financial trouble.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If it's damaged enough from dropping that it's not safe, then it's not rugged enough.

I don't subscribe to that opinion. How indestructible can any 1 manufactured item be? How many degrees of angles, heights, conditions, weights, temperature, moisture, etc... need to be present when testing a gun drop? Every probable condition can not be simulated.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I don't subscribe to that opinion. How indestructible can any 1 manufactured item be? How many degrees of angles, heights, conditions, weights, temperature, moisture, etc... need to be present when testing a gun drop? Every probable condition can not be simulated.

:rolleyes:

Not all of us play Mall Team 6, but there are some pretty gnarly folks in this world that work in non-permissive environments that beat the ever loving snot out of their S#!%.

Dropped, knocked around, and still expected to perform, safely, while NOT putting good guys at risk of unintended discharge is not just a "desired" design/product requirement; it's a damned expectation.

I have no dog in this fight. I don't personally care about this specific product. I've handled one, thought it decent enough that if I wanted to buy another handgun, I'd consider it. I don't have enough experience in free country to determine if I would carry one. But I do know, there are competing products on the market that don't have this known risk on the first, second, or 10th drop. Thus, subscribe to Caveat Emptor.

ETA: Also, if I recall correctly, there was an RFP posted online for the Army or SOCOM's next main (rifle) weapon. The Mil-Std testing for that assault rifle specified in the RFP that it should be drop tested on "all facets." "Top, bottom, both side, every 90* along every axis." To your point, is this from every potential real world/Dr. Murphy condition? Nope. But potentially systemic enough that it would quantify a known amount of data that could allow for a facts and qualitative analysis.

Last edited:

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    This seemed like it would fit nice here ;-)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-08-20-18-27.jpg
      Screenshot_2017-08-08-20-18-27.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 154

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Love the VP70. Wish they had a lighter trigger.I had 1 in the late 80s. Saw 1 sell at Chantilly cheap after the fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom