• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Dallas PD investigates Sig P320 safety

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/Sig_P320_DropFail/

"Based on an incident that occured on a range during training with Dallas PD, the P320 is being investigated and taken out of service. According to DPD Officers, a P320 discharged as a result of being dropped during training. "​

Make of it what you will.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Sounds a lot like the infamous Montgomery Co. PD's 9mm ammo going off by itself when dropped, when it was caused by some idiot putting a loaded semi-auto pistol on a peg through the trigger guard and causing it fire when the trigger was depressed and the handgun keep firing as the trigger impacted the peg under recoil.
    I would think that just about every modern handgun manufacturer has that warning in their instruction manual to minimize their exposure due to someone dropping a handgun. I would dig out my Sig's manual to check for the drop warning, but it is deep in the safe and it's the only new handgun that I have bought in 20 years.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Gun manufacturers do extensive drop tests to make sure the guns work. The only time I've ever seen something like this happen, there was something mechanically wrong with the gun.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Firearm blog has updated info.

Clear as mud!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-dallas-police-prohibited-duty-till-repaired/

There has been at least one other publication that has posted a story about the P320 recall with an incorrect tip stating that sources at Dallas PD reported a discharge occurred when a P320 was dropped. We took the opportunity to ask Webb if there has been an instance of an officer dropping the firearm resulting in a discharge. and received the following statement from the Dallas Police Department.

There have been no reported incidents of an accidental discharge involving this weapon because of the defect

This is a departmental recall not a factory recall... for now.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    In the 320, the striker is mechanically blocked from hitting the primer unless the trigger is pressed to the rear. Could it fail? Maybe, but it is a solid design.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    http://www.tactical-life.com/news/sig-sauer-p320-dallas-pd/#sig-p320-2

There was never a “defect” with the P320. The confusion stemmed from an out-of-date manual that was given to the Dallas Police Department’s new lieutenant, according to Hunter.

Taking the necessary precautions with the older manual, the lieutenant temporarily suspended use of the P320 until Dallas PD could get in touch with Sig Sauer to clarify the issue.

A memo was issued to the Dallas Police Department detailing the temporary suspension, which someone leaked to another blog and the rumor mill began turning at a ferocious pace.

Perfessor

Mar 6, 2017
    Anne Arundel
    Here's a video from another thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7si_VQsGA

This is the Omaha Outdoors video, showing what *appears to be* their own testing. Lots of video showing the gun going off when dropped on the beaver tail. However, some of the video, e.g. at 1:52, shows somebody bare-handing the drop onto concrete. What idiot would actually do that, especially if it were a firearms-safety expert (one entrusted to do such a fail test)? I find it hard to believe that particular clip is real, which then throws into question the rest of the clips in the video.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    So at 2:02 a dude in shorts and flip-flops intentionally drops a loaded handgun in a fashion known to cause "uncommanded" discharges.....

You got to see it, to believe it..

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Wowza. I'll be watching this issue.

Looks like they were using blanks.

Thanks for the safety heads-up!

Remember when XDs had that recall? Yep, I had one that was deemed unsafe, but Springfield fixed it and gave us all a free magazine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.59.46 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.59.46 PM.jpg
      5.2 KB · Views: 477

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Here's a video from another thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7si_VQsGA

This is the Omaha Outdoors video, showing what *appears to be* their own testing. Lots of video showing the gun going off when dropped on the beaver tail. However, some of the video, e.g. at 1:52, shows somebody bare-handing the drop onto concrete. What idiot would actually do that, especially if it were a firearms-safety expert (one entrusted to do such a fail test)? I find it hard to believe that particular clip is real, which then throws into question the rest of the clips in the video.

Pull bullet and use primed case - no danger.

Buncha ninnies over here...

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Sounds a lot like the infamous Montgomery Co. PD's 9mm ammo going off by itself when dropped, when it was caused by some idiot putting a loaded semi-auto pistol on a peg through the trigger guard and causing it fire when the trigger was depressed and the handgun keep firing as the trigger impacted the peg under recoil.
    I would think that just about every modern handgun manufacturer has that warning in their instruction manual to minimize their exposure due to someone dropping a handgun. I would dig out my Sig's manual to check for the drop warning, but it is deep in the safe and it's the only new handgun that I have bought in 20 years.

When did this "infamous" Mo Co case occurr?

I haven't heard of it....

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...d-police-officer-shot-dropped-holstered-p320/

A Stamford police officer has sued gunmaker Sig Sauer over injuries he suffered when his holstered P320 pistol discharged and hit him in the leg after he dropped it in a parking lot.

According to the complaint filed Aug. 4 in the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, officer Vincent Sheperis dropped his holstered department-issued handgun while loading equipment into the back of his car in January. The gun fired when it hit the pavement, and the bullet entered beneath his left knee and lodged to the side “with the round protruding from his leg.”

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Wowza. I'll be watching this issue.

Looks like they were using blanks.

Thanks for the safety heads-up!

Remember when XDs had that recall? Yep, I had one that was deemed unsafe, but Springfield fixed it and gave us all a free magazine.

And the trigger was far worse after they "fixed" it. Never shot it well after that, sold it a year later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have a P320 subcompact that I've carried in free America, watching this with interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom