• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevnev

May 12, 2018
    I was able to rent a Beretta 92A1 at my local range and loved the balance of how it felt in my hand.

I already have a PPQ in 9mm and a Kimber 1911 .45acp.

Are there really frame cracking issues with the 96A1 now that a recoil buffer is incorporated?

I’m not sure if I should just get the 96A1 or get the 92A1 and replace my 9mm PPQ with the .40sw version. Thoughts?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have a 96D Border Marshall. Hasn't been on the firing line in at least 3 years now.

If you shoot well with it, then do whatever floats your boat. No need to justify another purchase in this crowd. Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with the 92/96 Series. When I'm on-point and shooting good, love them. When that DA pull is kicking my ass, have no use for them.

I haven't put enough rounds thru the 96 to even worry about frame cracking issues. But it was a concern on 96's that saw frequent use. Recoil buffers don't last forever, run too many rounds after it should be replaced, all you're doing is battering the frame, and then it may crack.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I would not replace the PPQ 9mm, its a nice gun. 9mm is better for practice too.

But if you like the ergonomics of the PPQ, maybe get the .40S&W PPQ. One for practice, one for carry/SHTF.

I have a Beretta 92, its nice. cant go wrong with that. One thing about the 96, harder to find replacement parts, and more expensive.

Between the 92, 96, or PPQ you are asking me "what kind of pie would you like" - yes, I will have them all, please.

Kevnev

May 12, 2018
    I would not replace
    Between the 92, 96, or PPQ you are asking me "what kind of pie would you like" - yes, I will have them all, please.

Yes, I would like them all as well, but it’s not possible for me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yes, I would like them all as well, but it’s not possible for me.

"range duty"?

Not sure what you mean by that. As in, RSO at a local range?

Honestly, if you shoot your PPQ well, there is really no reason whatsoever to replace your PPQ*. Even for self defense, 9mm Critical Duty are perfectly fine, and just as good as .40 Short and Weak. Not one single violent actor has ever said "you should have shot me with a 40 instead." 22LR is the caliber of choice for many homicidal felons in Baltimore, and it gets the job done.

*Except "I have the money to buy a newer gun"

Kevnev

May 12, 2018
    "range duty"?

Not sure what you mean by that. As in, RSO at a local range?

Just mean that the gun will exclusively be used at the range. Not carried etc.

Was planning to have only one gun in a given caliber.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have you actually shot with a 92/96?

Handling is one thing, shooting with is another.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'll confess that of the many pistols I own, including multiple in 9mm, the 92 is the one that - for me - makes the best groups when I'm shooting. But it's too big to carry around concealed, so I'm adapting. Because I like DA/SA for carry (and have all of that muscle memory from lots of work with the 92), Springfield's XD-E gets the carry time for me. I've had my 92 for over 25 years and it's been an incredibly reliable gun.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I’ve got a MSPA 96 Centurion that I got new some years ago. I’ve never had a problem with it and I’ve put a couple thousand rounds thru it. That being said I don’t shot it much anymore but I’ll never get rid of it. Someone here had one exactly like mine for sale in the classifieds not to long ago, I’m not sure if it ever sold as it was over priced I thought.

Attachments

• 56899402-F8F4-47B6-9E29-995B5BBF647A.jpg
      56899402-F8F4-47B6-9E29-995B5BBF647A.jpg
      102.6 KB · Views: 123
    • 6A8C4188-D1AB-46B3-8F93-1A59E03E2161.jpg
      6A8C4188-D1AB-46B3-8F93-1A59E03E2161.jpg
      78.4 KB · Views: 106

Kevnev

May 12, 2018
    I'll confess that of the many pistols I own, including multiple in 9mm, the 92 is the one that - for me - makes the best groups when I'm shooting. But it's too big to carry around concealed, so I'm adapting. Because I like DA/SA for carry (and have all of that muscle memory from lots of work with the 92), Springfield's XD-E gets the carry time for me. I've had my 92 for over 25 years and it's been an incredibly reliable gun.

The 92 for me was also grouping exceptionally well. Part of the reason I liked it so much.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011

DeSantis OWB holster with a good belt and you won't know it's there.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    DeSantis OWB holster with a good belt and you won't know it's there.

Oh, I have no trouble with its weight. It's the physical size, in terms of printing. Sure, with a heavier outer garment at the right time of year. But in casual circumstances for 8 or 9 months out of the year, I'm sure I can pull that off. Might have to try!

Rube

Apr 7, 2013
    Cecil
    Kevnev, you seem to have similar thoughts to me. Get one of everything. If you want just one 45 it should be a 1911, right? For 9, it's hard to beat a PPQ.
    My first handgun was a 96A1. Needed to get grandfathered for the HQL. I chose 40 to start as it was the last thing to sell out at Walmart in early 2013. Research left me with a short wish list, looking for a reputable brand and model, metal frame, and SA/DA trigger. Free State had a 96 for rent and I liked it. The Beretta was cheaper than the Sig I also considered and I had designs on pairing with a Storm carbine and adding a 9mm barrel. However, the carbine is rare in 40 and the barrels are scarce and expensive. When I look for them, anyway.
    Found my 96A1 new in Newark, DE. No problems with it but I have since found things I like more. It doesn't fit me as well as the PPQ. It's relatively expensive and unpleasant to shoot. Stress relatively. The usual complaints... managing recoil and muzzle flip takes practice. Pricey practice.
    That said, I wouldn't sell it. It's my 40 if I need one.
    I've seen used available very recently just under $500. Rent or borrow if you can. While 40 has its fans and benefits I've come to believe it's mostly on paper.
    I would suggest that your money may be better spent on something else. Like, another 9mm PPQ with different barrel length. A trip out of state for more 15/17 round PPQ magazines. An AR, or a few lowers. Mags for them. A 380 or 22 or revolver. New tires. Or a whole lot of pizza.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom